Hushed River Valley - First Time Trauma [Spoilers]

Martin Prchal

So after 95 days in my first Voyager run, i was feeling like I was getting a grip on things. All regions mostly looted and explored, all without any major scares like bear attacks or getting lost in a blizzard. I decided to go and explore Hushed River Valley, because I knew it was rugged and remote, which was what I really enjoyed in Timberwolf Mountain. I stated out from the transition cave in the early morning and enjoyed a lovely first impression due to perfect weather. I happily made my way down to the Stepstairs Lake and Cloudtop Falls, and then going along the creek with all the small waterfalls. By this time I already decided that this is my new favorite zone. Shortly afterwards, I was strolling near some fallen logs when I heard some nice snorting coming from behind the next rise. I knew this was a bear, so I turned around and sprinted away. In my mad dash, I got a bit disoriented, so I decided to aimless start wandering around. Eventually, I got to the creek where you have to cross the fallen tree to the ice cave. Here began the interesting part. I entered the ice cave, not realizing that it was a full cave system and not just a cave like the one by the Misty Falls in Pleasant Valley. Within two intersections I was completely lost. I wandered around, thinking I had to find the exit eventually, when I discovered the small chamber with the corpse and rope. I couldn't climb at the time due to a sprain and being overweight, so I turned around. Continuing my wandering, I came across the other exit out of the cave, and I thought I was free. Unfortunately, I appeared in a completely different part of the map. I decided that I didn't want to start exploring another part of the map so I could fully understand the whole region, so I plunged back into the mess. After finding this exit another 3 times, I finally stumbled across the exit in which I entered the cave. I spent a grand total of about 5 game hours in the cave. So this is how my first day in Hushed River Valley ended. After this trauma, I don't think I'm ever going into those caves again except to spend a night by the entrance. Yeah I know, not really a serious survival story, but I still love how this game can absolutely terrify me even almost 100 days into a good run on Voyager. I can't wait to see what else this region has to offer.

• Upvote 1

A few days later, I went back into one of the ice caves just to spend the night and repair some clothes after a recent wolf struggle. I am repairing my 40% toque, when suddenly, I hear a very familiar growl and snarl behind me. Luckily, as always, I had my trusty flare gun on me, so I spun 180 degrees and shot into the dark, illuminating a wolf running away into the bowels of the cave. This made me feel so good, so I began to eat and drink, thinking I hit the wolf and that it would bleed out in that horrible cave. Of course, it came back. I had a bit more time before it pounced, so I pulled the revolver and shot. It didn't hit the wolf and I ended up in another struggle. To top it off, this was my 100th day. So instead of going out and enjoying the clear evening and looking at waterfalls to celebrate, I had to recover from 30% condition. These darn wolves really never know when to quit. I am still really enjoying this zone though, its so wild and unforgiving.

• Upvote 2