Make your decoy smaller ( cutting meat to smaller pieces)

alone sniper

Well, there are so many possible solutions that I don't think it's worth complaining about it. When you harvest meat you usually have decimals. Like your average 1.1 kg rabbit. Select all, deselect till only 0.1 remains and that's it. It works with bigger animals too. You can use the same method to make mincemeat of something to practice cooking or have multiple small pieces to use as decoy. Canceling the harvesting action also works to give even smaller pieces. Or if you eat a steak and it's too much you'll have leftovers. Or you can cancel halfway when harvesting meat.

Dropping decoys is a hasty action to avoid trouble, so I don't think it would be fitting to choose a steak from the backpack, cut off a tiny bit, drop it on the ground, put the rest away and move on. Grab something fleshy, get rid of it and take cover.

• Upvote 5

IRL, if a bear on the trail is showing interest in you, a recommended strategy is to just drop your backpack as you retreat so that the bear stops to investigate it.  You are very unlikely to return to reclaim your backpack, so your steak and anything else you're carrying in that backpack would simply be gone.  In this game, however, you can also eat the steaks you carry down to bitty bites simply by cancelling the eating animation before the timing circle reaches full and then carry them to be used as decoys.  I trust you're not trying to carry an entire moose in the form of steaks on your back anyways..

@alone sniper,

@shade_grey is absolutely correct, regarding the process of harvesting smaller pieces.  *Caveat on step 4 - you can halt the action at any point by pressing escape, but the sooner you interrupt the smaller the piece you will "shave off."

You can also get smaller decoys by hitting escape just before you are finished eating some meat.

As far as being able to control what you drop... (anyone in the community please correct me if I am mistaken) As I understand it, the decoy drop hotkey will prioritize guts over meat (raw/cooked), and will also prioritize decoy items with lowest condition.

My suggestion: leave one raw gut sitting outside and let the condition drop really low (yes it will make it a bit more stinky - but if you are using it as a decoy for hunting, being a little attractive is not necessarily a bad thing).  This way, when you are ready to go out hunting, you know that old piece of raw gut it always be the thing that gets dropped regardless of what else you have in the inventory (this has been working for me anyways).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1