Need some advice

Hello fellow survivors. Lately, I have been making an attempt at the Archivist Challenge (The one where you have to collect the buffer memories from the computers during the Aurora), and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on how i'm going to survive getting the one in FM. I have already collected all the memories from MT, ML, and BR. That said, I have done a lot of looting and I have a lot of nice warm clothing,  quite a bit of high calorie food items, and a rifle with about 35 bullets which I have been saving for a situation like this. That and everything else essential for spending a couple of days away from these nice and cozy indoor locations. The only question now is, how am I gonna do this? I don't want to just camp out under the signal tower (I'm sure most of you know what I mean) because I don't want to have to worry about keeping fire alive and keeping a snow shelter together. My only other idea is hanging out in the poachers camp until an aurora comes around, but I really don't like the location. A bear walks around there around the morning time and the last time I was there a wolf was lurking around. Do you all have any ideas on how I should do this? Are there any good caves nearby or something? Any help is appreciated. Thanks and cheers :coffee:.

1 hour ago, greatwhitegamer said:

Hello fellow survivors. Lately, I have been making an attempt at the Archivist Challenge (The one where you have to collect the buffer memories from the computers during the Aurora), and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on how i'm going to survive getting the one in FM. I have already collected all the memories from MT, ML, and BR. That said, I have done a lot of looting and I have a lot of nice warm clothing,  quite a bit of high calorie food items, and a rifle with about 35 bullets which I have been saving for a situation like this. That and everything else essential for spending a couple of days away from these nice and cozy indoor locations. The only question now is, how am I gonna do this? I don't want to just camp out under the signal tower (I'm sure most of you know what I mean) because I don't want to have to worry about keeping fire alive and keeping a snow shelter together. My only other idea is hanging out in the poachers camp until an aurora comes around, but I really don't like the location. A bear walks around there around the morning time and the last time I was there a wolf was lurking around. Do you all have any ideas on how I should do this? Are there any good caves nearby or something? Any help is appreciated. Thanks and cheers :coffee:.

I used that explorable cave by the tower as a base of operations.  Since I didn't have to worry about ammo long term, I came armed to the teeth, and would do a patrol once a day to clear out any wolves up by the tower.  Then stand around passing time outside, sleeping inside the cave when needed to dry off or warm up.  Go on a hunting trip when needed for food.  Then just  clear wolves, pass time, hunt, clear wolves, pass time...maybe hit up Spence to make some clothes out of all those hides you'll be swimming in.  It takes about a game month to finally acquire all the memories.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot, the Archivist challenge you only have to get one memory.  I'm thinking of when I go out on a mission to collect EVERY memory.  If you're only sticking around for one memory, it should only take about a week.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

@greatwhitegamer,
I had to camp out in the cave by the waterfall for nearly 20 days waiting for an aurora (I had some very bad luck with the weather in that region).  It was rough, but that is how I managed it.  The cave near the waterfall is very close to the tower so it makes an ideal location to keep warm and stay safe while you wait out the weather.

Also, I would suggest only sleeping for an hour or two at a time so you can make sure that you don't miss the aurora.  (I made this mistake which is why I was stuck for an additional 20 days waiting for the next one :))  When the aurora does finally come out... you may have to blast your way though a wolf or two (unless you are especially wily - I was lucky enough to be able to maneuver around them undetected, then shimmy down the slope to get out of there fast).

If there is a bear that likes to roam around the tower in your play thought, you may just want to take it out... it would make a good food source while you are waiting on the weather.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

@ManicManiac, Thanks mate!

I knew there was a cave near there, I just didn't know where. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. 

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Whoops, I forgot, the Archivist challenge you only have to get one memory.  I'm thinking of when I go out on a mission to collect EVERY memory.  If you're only sticking around for one memory, it should only take about a week.

@ajb1978, I don't really know what your trying to say here but to clear up your confusion I'm currently playing in the Challenge game mode attempting a challenge called "Archivist". 

Edited by greatwhitegamer
Grammar corrections

29 minutes ago, greatwhitegamer said:

@ajb1978, I don't really know what your trying to say here but to clear up your confusion I'm currently playing in the Challenge game mode attempting a challenge called "Archivist". 

Yeah I get it.  The Archivist challenge only tasks you with obtaining one buffer memory from each of the listed locations.  Originally I was thinking of what I do when I collect ALL of the buffer memories--that involves a lengthy month-long camp out, frequent clearing of the area, etc.  For the Archivist challenge I just camped out in the cave for a week, got a memory, and moved on.  That's what I was trying to clear up--I originally stated it would take a month, but it won't in this case.