Getting attacked by wolves in Pilgrim Mode

Brad Simmons

So I'm currently playing the easiest mode. I found it hard to believe that I actually got attacked by wolves 3 times in Pilgrim Mode! What the heck is up with this?! I thought wildlife is NOT supposed to attack you in this game mode?! It started happening as soon as I got up to 60+ days of surviving. Has this happened to anyone else before? Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update! Is it this Friday or next Monday?

This happened in Coastal Highway. Never in Mystery Lake. Once they saw me they would just run away. But as of now the wolves would just attack me exactly how they would in Stalker Mode. I'm not sure if this is a theory, but can a wolf still attack if you're carrying Gut and Leather from a deer even when you're playing in Pilgrim Mode?

Not to my knowledge. But the purpose of Pilgrim mode is to be able to take in the scenery and just have to deal with weather conditions and food and such, wildlife is suppose to fear you for the God that you are. Could have been a minor glitch in the wolf AI in that version. I'm checking up on it now, though wolves have been worked on since the last update.

Jeremy

I've also had this problem in Coastal Highway. I haven't tried Mystery Lake yet. I went back to Pilgrim for the sole purpose of trying to find the new region but the wolves are still getting me. I literally cannot walk out of the door in Stalker or Voyageur without dying. I will say that while in Pilgrim I was not very close to the wolf. He turned around and came after me from a pretty decent distance... then the other wolf came and finished me off. haha

edit: I was carrying both leather and raw venison at the time of the attack. There may be something to that?

Wolves in pilgrim and Bears will only attack you if you shoot them. They shouldn't come at you even if you have meat on you. Though I believe they should come towards you if you do but then flee once too close. I'm going to test this out because something could be conflicting with the code where the wolves just ignore the fact they should be running and then decide you are lunch.

Jeremy

Every wolf I encountered ran away from me, even with large amounts of raw deer meat on me. They didn't seem remotely interested in me even from a distance. Are you sure that you are in Pilgrim? The latest update made it possible to check when you pause the game, a fox icon should appear in the bottom right of the screen.

If you are in Pilgrim mode and are getting attacked, I cannot reproduce this as they always seem to run from me, i checked with multiple different wolves.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me a couple of days ago in mystery lake. I'm in pilgrim mode too. I was traveling down the railroad tracks to go to Coastal Highway.. a wolf ran right up to me and killed me. I was around 43 days then. I don't remember whether I was carrying raw meat or not.. but probably not. I wouldn't have wanted to carry it to coastal highway. I reloaded a previous saved game.. so I wasn't too upset about it. Though quite surprised. And then too.. I killed a bear the next day in pleasant valley.. (the bears always attack after I shoot it). But there was a wolf lurking around while I was getting the meat and trying to take it home. I did have some of the raw meat on the ground. But that wolf looked like it was about to attack me too. So I put up a flare... and it finally ran off.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got killed by a wolf in Pilgrim mode today after 101 days, unexpected and very frustrating.

I crossed over to Pleasant Valley, which I had done a few times in the past, only this time I stayed 1 night before returning to Coastal Highway to retrieve items. Wildlife behaved as expected on the way back running away but as I was crossing the lake there were 2 wolves, 1 ran away but the other came at me and killed me.

After giving this some thought it seemed to be the saving of the game in the Pleasant Valley level then returning to Coastal Highway that changed the way the wolves behaved but only in the Coastal Highway map. The few times I had crossed over to Pleasant Valley and back again I didn't enter any buildings to save I just explored and returned, after spending a night I encountered 2 wolves in Pleasant Valley which ran away and avoided me on my way back to Coastal Highway but when crossing the lake in Coastal Highway map that was the first wolf encounter since returning and they attacked.

Hmm, I've tried to reproduce this, But I'll try the way JonnyJ did it to see if I can reproduce it. Wildlife shouldn't be attacking you in Pilgrim. Wolves when shot will run away, and by default in that mode should be running away from the player. Bears on the other hand, will run away, but I believe if you shoot them they will still charge at you.

So Again I will search for this and try to track down what's happening. Could be a 1 out of 10 wolves dealio or something.

Jeremy

Hmm, I've tried to reproduce this, But I'll try the way JonnyJ did it to see if I can reproduce it. Wildlife shouldn't be attacking you in Pilgrim. Wolves when shot will run away, and by default in that mode should be running away from the player. Bears on the other hand, will run away, but I believe if you shoot them they will still charge at you.

So Again I will search for this and try to track down what's happening. Could be a 1 out of 10 wolves dealio or something.

Jeremy

It shouldn't take much to try to reproduce the bear attacking you in Pilgrim Mode. Just equip the rifle and try shooting it.

Much likely it'll come charging at you. This would be a bug in my opinion. Instead the bears should be running away when you shoot them. Same exact thing for the wolves.

Bears in Pilgrim will attack you if you shoot them. They are angry when shot at. If you don;t shoot bears then they will book it from you. Wolves however shouldn't attack at all unless provoked in some way. I have tried throwing meat at them and running around with raw meat, I've tried going from PV to CH like JonnyJ did but that didn't work either.

I'm honestly not sure why you guys happen to get attacked by wolves in Pilgrim, you really shouldn't be and I have tried several times to reproduce this and cannot. If someone could make me a video of them getting attacked by a wolf in pilgrim with their debug logs (player.Log on Mac).

For the Video make sure to show me that you are in Pilgrim, and also show some of the wildlife running away, then if that one wolf happens to attack you then I can see if you did something to provoke or if it happens to be some kind of flaw in every 10th wolf or something.

I want to help fix this but it's hard for me to help if i cannot reproduce this myself.

Jeremy

I've since started a new game starting in PV and have crossed over to CH a few times now and not had any issues, if it helps any I started out my last game at ML and worked my way across since I hadn't unlocked PV at that time so maybe it had something to do with how the game unlocked PV for the first time then my first game save there.

I'm not sure how to video my game play but I have been chasing a lot of wolves around to see if it will happen again.

Also I have noticed in CH when you enter the cabins at the fishing camp it calls them "Fighing Cabin", is that correct or have they been miss labeled, seems to me "Fishing Cabin" would make more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue.

I should note that for the most part, the wolves do run from me when I get close enough to them. I've mostly been left alone and able to bully them away from their kills and get free meat, hides, and gut without incident. I was approaching the dam at Mystery Lake when a wolf maybe 20 yards in front of me took down a deer. I was about 15 yards from him (going to steal his kill) when a second wolf appeared from nowhere and blitzed me from the right.

Of course since they're not supposed to attack me in Pilgrim Mode, I hadn't bothered with the added weight of the flares to scare them off. I may have been swatting at his nose with a can opener, for all I know.

I was not injured prior to the attack, nor was I freezing, starving, or wearing bacon grease behind my ears. It was an unprovoked attack and I was in no way a more appealing target due to some infirmity or meat-scented skin care product.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work. I love this game :)

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing just happened to me earlier this evening. I was moving goods from Mystery Lake to Pleasant Valley. Upon returning, leaving the Ravine area into Mystery Lake, taking a quick left at the Dam heading downhill back to the Cabin Office I noticed 2 wolves to my right down on the creek ice, one was chasing a deer. Before I could blink one of the wolves attacked me, I had no weapons dammit as I was traveling light to get another load from the lake cabin office. Killed me down to 10%, I died in the Dam trying to find a bandage. And yes this was in Pilgrim Mode, all the wolves previously in this run had proper AI, except this one.

Archived