Play Feedback

michael_hancock

I believe that I may speak for some other 'new' players, the type which is not yet curating a 100+ (200+ etc.) game file, taking pleasure from eking out an ever more desperate virtual existence. I agree with the logic I've seen from other forum posts describing a 3-stage sandbox game, wherein I am only in the 1st stage (survival-scavenge), with the second stage involving setting up shop and living in relative comfort until the third stage... the long decline as more and more of the perishable materials run out.

I've spent only a little time in the boreal forests of Canada (and northern Asia), but I grew up spending time among the 'southern' zone in northern Michigan, so I can say with some serious appreciation that I feel like so much as been accomplished here in terms of atmosphere. That was part of the reason I backed the Kickstarter -- and also why I was so slow to begin play. I only picked up my Steam key this week.

Before I dive into the wilderness of the forums (at least as intimidating as the virtual wilderness in this game), I wanted to write a 'first post' as introduction and to give my deep thanks to the development team. I haven't lost sight of the game you wanted to make in your Kickstarter pledge; this sandbox is an excellent stand-in, but I'm just as excited for the rest of the campaign to come though.

In terms of gameplay, I believe the learning curve is steep enough. I met my end to unlucky encounters with wolves in several of my early games before switching to "Pilgrim" until I got my bearings on the maps. The variety of tools, materials, and food made scavenging and crafting quite rewarding. The maps do seem somewhat small at times... and yet, I can't deny that I can still find myself lost when I tread too far from landmarks, or into deep fog or a blizzard.

My greatest praise is for certain 'moments,' which I imagine other players can recognize. It might be design genius not to make the forestry lookout a more attractive camp, because I do love every visit up there, and I wouldn't want it to grow old. It's the only building I've found without its own instance--the ability to have seamless transition from weather to cabin is just so excellent. The weather and wind blowing around, it really is a glorious feeling to turn that desolate room into a warm, inviting place, melting/boiling water, getting dinner, and going to sleep only to wake up to the dwindling fire and a hot cup of coffee [which, I assume, defeats its purpose of giving a fatigue bonus].

I also appreciate the hard work that has gone into the sound/music design, as the music cues have been subtle and welcome each time.

I apologize for not organizing my thoughts before writing, but I wanted to post my initial feedback. Here it is, for whatever it may be worth to the reader.

Archived