Ultra video setting question - dirty lens?

Greavette

I just got a new computer today and adjusted the video setting from low (the only way I could play before) to Ultra, and was actually disappointed! In Ultra mode, I noticed that the corners of the screen are darker / blurrier and most importantly, this: the entire screen looks like I'm looking through a 'dirty' glass lens. The screen has a permanent look of, simply put, a dirty glass! When I set it on High, this dirty look goes away and I can see better! Not only that, but if I set the video to an even lower setting i.e. medium, the corner blur goes away, the dirty glass goes away, and the entire game becomes brighter and I can see better! And strangely enough, I find I don't really enjoy the game as much as when I had it on a lower setting. Now obviously I can change the graphics back to the way I had them in the first place and stop complaining, but I just thought I would ask if anyone else has had a similar experience?

My main complaint is to get rid of that 'dirty' lens look in Ultra ...I don't see the purpose. Is there anyone here who can explain why that 'option' is added in Ultra?

Again i'll add, this is STILL on of my favorite games of all time! Can't wait for the update.

Thanks

I just got a new computer today and adjusted the video setting from low (the only way I could play before) to Ultra, and was actually disappointed! In Ultra mode, I noticed that the corners of the screen are darker / blurrier and most importantly, this: the entire screen looks like I'm looking through a 'dirty' glass lens. The screen has a permanent look of, simply put, a dirty glass! When I set it on High, this dirty look goes away and I can see better! Not only that, but if I set the video to an even lower setting i.e. medium, the corner blur goes away, the dirty glass goes away, and the entire game becomes brighter and I can see better! And strangely enough, I find I don't really enjoy the game as much as when I had it on a lower setting. Now obviously I can change the graphics back to the way I had them in the first place and stop complaining, but I just thought I would ask if anyone else has had a similar experience?

My main complaint is to get rid of that 'dirty' lens look in Ultra ...I don't see the purpose. Is there anyone here who can explain why that 'option' is added in Ultra?

Again i'll add, this is STILL on of my favorite games of all time! Can't wait for the update.

Thanks

These are stylistic post process effects added when you up the 'detail' setting.

What i'd like to see is a custom setting where you can turn stuff off like in normal games that people don't like. Ambient occlusion, depth of field, motion blur, aformetioned vignetting lens effects etc--

Clearer does not necessarily mean better to some people. I like it on ultra.

On my 27" monitor at 1080p I can very clearly see when it renders this post processing effect, seems to only be on when my character is standing still and not shifting views. When I move it is also present. As soon as I turn it doesn't draw it well. I am running it on Ultra.

Later next week or the following week I'll be completing my new rig with a GTX 970 and I'll let you know how it looks on that. I am still running ultra on my 9800GTX+ from back in the day.

Archived