Does anyone actually walk in this game?

Greavette

I have played this game for countless hours and I have yet, to even once, take my finger off of the shift key ...so I'm running all the time. Is there something I don't know about running or does everyone hold down the shift key?

thanks

If I understood right,you"re asking,if we,other players,also are running all the time,or do we walk also,whille we travel in maps.First of all,to simply walk,you just need to hold down "W" type.That one is set by default on game settings,under Bindings tab.I,myself,must hold down W+SHIFT at same time,if I want to run.I haven"t change that from default,as it suits to me.

Other thing...what concerns me,I try to walk as much as possible,to save calories.I run only if wolf is nearby,or at dangerous places,like passing Derailment and from Logging Camp to Clearcut.I try to not use roads and train tracks too much,but move on hills mostly.

I think most of experienced players also use walking mode mostly.Well,this is my answer to you,if I understood you correct,what are you asking.

I've never found calories to be an issue, even in the first day. Staying warm is enormously more important and difficult, and when traveling outside you stay warmer while running because (a) running warms you up slightly, and (b) running reduces the amount of time you are exposed to the cold outdoors.

In very early pre-alpha versions, walking a lot was critical if you didn't want to burn through your calories fast. Even in v.152 walking had a value again since you always wanted to have emergency stamina available if you needed to escape a wolf (fatigue climbed much faster running)...

Unfortunately players were complaining about not being able to Skyrim marathon run the entire map, so the running penalty/cost was lowered back no negligible again.

I still walk certain areas [strafing in all directions] when wolf watching as I cross some areas.

But yeah, you can mostly just marathon run now, and spend less time taking cold damage (plus players also get a warmth bonus right now without any hypothermia risk of sweat cooldown time)

Unfortunately players were complaining about not being able to Skyrim marathon run the entire map, so the running penalty/cost was lowered back no negligible again.

I wish they would turn it back up again - it would be nice to have to balance the desire to move fast with the cost.

I wish they would turn it back up again - it would be nice to have to balance the desire to move fast with the cost.

Oh- I so agree! Survival is difficult ... and all about smart choices. There should be a marked difference in cost to the player who wishes to impetuously run the whole time. This game has hit the reality mark in so many ways - why detract from that for those who are looking for a different genre of game?

I'm really INTO this game ... meaning I AM afraid of fluffy. I peek round corners and sneak round rocks out of respect for this threat. If one is running all the time I think it's a sign that they've lost that sensitivity anyways. In other words- running all the time will lead to a swift LOSS IN INTEREST in the game. But that's just my two bits ...

I now wish I had never discovered the run button :(

Little Fox~

Having grown up (as a kid) in areas like the TLD setting and weather, I really appreciated the very nearly travel speed - it felt so natural because yes it was slow travel, and exhausting walking through the snow trails in the remote areas. Even when we travelled by horseback instead, it was slow travel through the snow.

If you watch some of the pre-Early Access videos, the speed will seem sluggish if players had to revert back to the more realistic speeds - so that's not likely to happen. While personally I much prefered their realism (again, it brought back so many memories from when I was younger) of the slower speed, I do understand why the devs opted for faster travel for current players. I'm just glad I was able to experience the gameplay at a closer pace to what it was originally intended to play as.

The other wonderful thing with the slow travel was map size - it felt HUGE!!! You would actually plan out each of your trips... Trapper's Homestead to Camp Office vs. Trapper's Homestead to Lookout Tower -- they were each about a day to 1 1/2 days travel depending on weather. It was brutal, and it constantly made you think.

Today you can marathon run from the corner of the Coastal map near Third Island all the way to the Trapper's Homestead in just over 4 hours in-game time (and still not even be exhausted). Maps feel about 1/10th the size now - but again, patience isn't exactly a high priority for most current games and gamers, so it's an understandable tradeoff.

If you want to get a good idea how far the game has progressed, here's some early backer footage by Accurize that will give you a good feel for the previous mechanics and difficulty settings. Back then, surviving 5 days was a big accomplishment - surviving 10 day was huge - and one player had an epic 17 day survival run!!! (I know, beginner level scores compared to current runs, but back then we had to work our wolf tails off just to make it 2-4 days alive... it felt amazing!!!)

WARNING: Video will seem very slow paced compared to current versions, but it's worth watching the series

[bBvideo 560,340:144hv9pf]

[/bBvideo]

I do think we run way to much now and I find it especially strange that I can run all the way from Jack Rabbit Island to the Camp Office with a 28kg load. I'd be exhausted by such a trip even if there were no wolves to worry about and I walked all the way in good weather with good gear and no excess baggage, let alone run all the way.

Maybe it would be an idea to add a stamina meter or something. It would drain while running, limiting the time you can run and slowly fill up while walking, faster while standing still and be completely full after sleeping (even if just for 1 hour).

But even if I think we can run too much now, I don't think it would take me an entire day (with days as long as they are now in TLD) to get from the Camp Office to Trapper's. Granted, I've never been hiking in the Canadian mountains in the winter, but I've done some hiking in the Austrian Alps and while walking through snow is slow and tiring, I doubt I would need more than 4-6 hours to cross that distance. 8 tops if the weather is less than perfect (not talking blizzards or anything, obviously). But days last from 6 to 20 hours in TLD. That's 14 hours, so I'd be able to walk to Trapper's and back in 1 day. If I had the stamina to do that, that is. And I know I don't...

There could be a fitness bar, one that can fluctuate based on the amount of activity you're committing daily and how well you manage your other vital stats? (if you are constantly hungry you have a fitness penalty, if you're freezing you're fitness is penalized, etc). This would also cause issues for someone who decided to just stay inside and play it safe for a week, since they wouldn't be exercising, hurting their fitness.

This could also create a system separate from overall fatigue levels, a new bar that can be diminished by certain activities, but that would also recharge naturally, more like a traditional stamina bar in games. Thus you have a bar that can be diminished by sprinting or fighting wolves, and if you sprint and kill your bar but run into a wolf in the process, your fight is much harder than it would have been with a full bar.

This makes sprinting more of a strategic decision, without going back to the fatigue issues they clearly used to have in the earlier versions.

There could be a fitness bar, one that can fluctuate based on the amount of activity you're committing daily and how well you manage your other vital stats? (if you are constantly hungry you have a fitness penalty, if you're freezing you're fitness is penalized, etc). This would also cause issues for someone who decided to just stay inside and play it safe for a week, since they wouldn't be exercising, hurting their fitness.

Now this idea I don't like much for two reasons:

1. Punishing the player for making a sound decision (staying inside is the best thing to do if you're stocked on supplies) is not a great way to motivate a player. If you don't want a player to spend a week inside, motivate them to go outside by giving them a reason to go out, not by punishing them for staying in.

2. This would only result in me going outside to run in circles for an hour to keep my fitness level up. How's that an improvement on the game? In fact, running up and down the stairs for an hour should have the same result without having to go outside.

This could also create a system separate from overall fatigue levels, a new bar that can be diminished by certain activities, but that would also recharge naturally, more like a traditional stamina bar in games. Thus you have a bar that can be diminished by sprinting or fighting wolves, and if you sprint and kill your bar but run into a wolf in the process, your fight is much harder than it would have been with a full bar.

This makes sprinting more of a strategic decision, without going back to the fatigue issues they clearly used to have in the earlier versions.

That's exactly what I meant in my previous post.

But I think the stamina bar should be tied to all the other bars. If you're fatigued, the stamina bar should drain faster and fill slower (or even not at all depending on how fatigued you are). If you're hungry or thirsty, the stamina bar should also drain faster and fill slower, same for being cold, but maybe less so. Being exhausted, starving, dehydrated could also stop the stamina bar from filling without sleeping. That way it would also make people think twice about abusing the starvation mechanism by doing things that require a lot of calories while starving (i.e. foraging for wood). You can still do it, but it means taking a greater risk.

1. Punishing the player for making a sound decision (staying inside is the best thing to do if you're stocked on supplies) is not a great way to motivate a player. If you don't want a player to spend a week inside, motivate them to go outside by giving them a reason to go out, not by punishing them for staying in.

2. This would only result in me going outside to run in circles for an hour to keep my fitness level up. How's that an improvement on the game? In fact, running up and down the stairs for an hour should have the same result without having to go outside.

But I think the stamina bar should be tied to all the other bars. If you're fatigued, the stamina bar should drain faster and fill slower (or even not at all depending on how fatigued you are). If you're hungry or thirsty, the stamina bar should also drain faster and fill slower, same for being cold, but maybe less so. Being exhausted, starving, dehydrated could also stop the stamina bar from filling without sleeping. That way it would also make people think twice about abusing the starvation mechanism by doing things that require a lot of calories while starving (i.e. foraging for wood). You can still do it, but it means taking a greater risk.

Eh I see what you mean as far as the fitness bar goes, although for those who want a sense of realism, that's more realistic, if you sat around doing nothing for a week or two then went out and tried to run a mile, you're gonna have a significantly harder time than you would have two weeks ago, but I definitely see the issues and I think the points you made are good ones.

I definitely do see how having some kind of stamina bar tied into more immediate stuff, separate from the fatigue bar, could solve a lot of these issues. Like you said, fatigue could affect everything else (higher fatigue means stamina recharges slower/diminishes faster, this could also be true of hunger, thirst, and cold, as all of these would affect your real world ability to sprint or fight etc). It seems like players want sprinting or doing these strenuous activities to be more of a strategic decision than they are now, and a stamina bar does prevent the issues they used to have.

I do also think that you could still punish players who spend days and days or weeks on end doing almost nothing with a stamina penalty for their first day or so of going back outside and being active.

Who knows, maybe this patch will have a stamina bar and we're talking for nothing :P.

Eh I see what you mean as far as the fitness bar goes, although for those who want a sense of realism, that's more realistic, if you sat around doing nothing for a week or two then went out and tried to run a mile, you're gonna have a significantly harder time than you would have two weeks ago, but I definitely see the issues and I think the points you made are good ones.

I definitely do see how having some kind of stamina bar tied into more immediate stuff, separate from the fatigue bar, could solve a lot of these issues. Like you said, fatigue could affect everything else (higher fatigue means stamina recharges slower/diminishes faster, this could also be true of hunger, thirst, and cold, as all of these would affect your real world ability to sprint or fight etc). It seems like players want sprinting or doing these strenuous activities to be more of a strategic decision than they are now, and a stamina bar does prevent the issues they used to have.

I do also think that you could still punish players who spend days and days or weeks on end doing almost nothing with a stamina penalty for their first day or so of going back outside and being active.

Who knows, maybe this patch will have a stamina bar and we're talking for nothing :P.

Def running too much in game at present. Support stamina system. Support limits on maximum run distance, based on a stamina meter. I think the stamina meter should be a function of how good your condition is (50%) + where your fatigue is at (50%). If you are low fatigue but have 50% condition the most you could run for is 75% of your maximum. Conversely if you are at 50% fatigue and 50% condition the most you could run for is 50% of your maximum. The Maximum should be a good distance. Say a full mile. Or what I'd estimate the trip from camp office to trappers to be or from jackrabbit to the craft table at in the fish village.

Hope there will be some sort of adrenaline boost where if you are being chased or have been recently attacked by a wolf you can move faster for a temporary time period of maybe 30 seconds real world.

Another boost I'd like to see if in a danger situation being able to drop your pack, which would remove all of your equipment except for melee weapon and current equipped clothing. This would give you more speed so it if you had to exit an area fast you'd be able to.

Def running too much in game at present. Support stamina system. Support limits on maximum run distance, based on a stamina meter. I think the stamina meter should be a function of how good your condition is (50%) + where your fatigue is at (50%). If you are low fatigue but have 50% condition the most you could run for is 75% of your maximum. Conversely if you are at 50% fatigue and 50% condition the most you could run for is 50% of your maximum. The Maximum should be a good distance. Say a full mile. Or what I'd estimate the trip from camp office to trappers to be or from jackrabbit to the craft table at in the fish village.

Hope there will be some sort of adrenaline boost where if you are being chased or have been recently attacked by a wolf you can move faster for a temporary time period of maybe 30 seconds real world.

Another boost I'd like to see if in a danger situation being able to drop your pack, which would remove all of your equipment except for melee weapon and current equipped clothing. This would give you more speed so it if you had to exit an area fast you'd be able to.

I like those ideas. I certainly think fatigue should play more of a role in how you are doing throughout the day, to where like you said having your fatigue bar half full would limit sprinting distance or perhaps top speed in some way.

I definitely like the idea of an adrenaline boost that could help you, you could also have an immediate punishment after the adrenaline boost as well like you would have in real life (basically your adrenaline allows you to hit a higher upper limit, but performing at that level dramatically increases fatigue or something).

I LOVE the dropping your pack idea. That's one of my complaints from the game for sure that you can only drop decoys. There should be a way to ditch your pack and come back for it. Perhaps things in your pack degrade quickly while left out in the wilderness as a punishment?

You could ultimately implement something like the bedrolls as well where your pack could have a condition as well, you would have to maintain it and you could find other backpacks in the world.

In very early pre-alpha versions, walking a lot was critical if you didn't want to burn through your calories fast. Even in v.152 walking had a value again since you always wanted to have emergency stamina available if you needed to escape a wolf (fatigue climbed much faster running)...

I still walk certain areas [strafing in all directions] when wolf watching as I cross some areas.

But yeah, you can mostly just marathon run now, and spend less time taking cold damage (plus players also get a warmth bonus right now without any hypothermia risk of sweat cooldown time)

Hah, thanks for that information, I always assumed their was a penalty but could not really tell that there was. I do like to role play a bit so I am sure I will continue to walk unless it is really necessary.

I like those ideas. I certainly think fatigue should play more of a role in how you are doing throughout the day, to where like you said having your fatigue bar half full would limit sprinting distance or perhaps top speed in some way.

I definitely like the idea of an adrenaline boost that could help you, you could also have an immediate punishment after the adrenaline boost as well like you would have in real life (basically your adrenaline allows you to hit a higher upper limit, but performing at that level dramatically increases fatigue or something).

I LOVE the dropping your pack idea. That's one of my complaints from the game for sure that you can only drop decoys. There should be a way to ditch your pack and come back for it. Perhaps things in your pack degrade quickly while left out in the wilderness as a punishment?

You could ultimately implement something like the bedrolls as well where your pack could have a condition as well, you would have to maintain it and you could find other backpacks in the world.

The whole dropping of your pack seems like a no brainer, in terms of functionality. I'm not sure what it really would give you in terms of a situational advantage but there are a few where it would benefit. It would not be without consequences and tradeoffs such as not being able to access those items until you go pick it up.

We know we have pack because every graphic representation of the characters and even the inventory system shows a backpack. It is great.

It would be nice if we could keep the scale and walk speed would be about 75% of run speed at present but since wolves are faster now, if we could get a significant run speed increase for a limited duration. I'm not sure I favor running for a mile but if it is early morning and you just woke up refreshed with great condition and no fatigue you should be able to run fast for a distance. I think you should be able to run just about half the length of the road in coastal in about the time your stamina meter would deplete.

If you got an adrenaline boost from a wolf attack of falling off a cliff and rolling an ankle something like that should give you a double depletion of a stamina meter for a set time while also giving you some more speed. The longer you walk on an injured ankle the worse it gets.

Archived