Howdy!

UnlikelyGibbon

Howdy, folks!

I'm a fairly new LD player, having just bought the game a couple of weeks ago.

My playstyle is pretty cautious and methodical--I keep a small notebook right in front of me and attempt to plan out what I'm going to do, with goals/missions for each day. Based on my in-game experimentation, I've made tables for snow melt and water boil times for quantities from 0.2 gal up to 2.0 gal, as well as estimates for various cooking times, which I use as a quick reference so I can plan out how much wood to use when cooking, melting, and boiling and get the maximum benefit from the resources I have.

So, yeah, that probably qualifies me as a bit of a geek in many people's books, but I'm okay with that. ;)

I've been playing video games since the mid-to-late 1970s, but I came to LD by way of watching YouTube videos, starting with

and
last September. After watching their vids, I became interested in the game but, more recently, it was videos by Mathas and Accurize that absolutely convinced me that I should really check this out!

I've only tried Voyageur mode so far, with my first playthrough lasting under 4 days (about 92 hours)--I wasn't being my cautious self and a wolf surprised me coming over a small berm. But my second playthrough is still going at 52 days and I'm doing okay...although fighting a wolf while I had an elevated fatigue level that caused me to be encumbered as a blizzard rolled in almost killed me just yesterday--a convergence of events that I hadn't anticipated and barely survived by the skin of my teeth.

And it was awesome!

Anyway, I really love The Long Dark and it's great to see a community where the players are truly passionate about the game and also so cooperative on the forums, and the developers are continuing to communicate with and consider the ideas of the gaming community.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the forums!

Regards,

Gibbon

Thanks, Bill!

My initial gaming experiences were with Pong and then (this list may not be entirely chronological) Asteroids, Space Invaders, Puck Man (later Pac-Man in the States), Crazy Climber, etc. My family bought an Atari 2600 in '79 or '80, but our first actual personal computer was a Commodore 64 in 1984--those were really amazing times.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, Bill!

--Gibbon

Bethany and elloco,

Thanks for the welcome!

Bethany, I don't know that I can claim that it's a true survival guide, but I do have a useful table or two--though I'm sure other people must have figured out the same information the same way I did. I guess if someone is interested, I could post the melt/boil table and other experimental results in here, though.

And, elloco, yeah, being cautious definitely helped a lot. But since I'd watched videos of other players before I'd ever played the game (some of those vids were in the pre-Alpha stage and some from more recent builds), I think that helped quite a bit, too. I could learn from mistakes they mentioned they were currently making or had made previously, so I didn't have to learn those lessons the hard way. The downside to that is, of course, that it unfortunately meant that I wasn't able to enjoy discovering some things for myself the first time.

Anyway, I think my playthrough so far has been a function of some sort of combination of trying to be methodical and cautious and also having exposure to some of the perils of the game before playing. And I'm only on Voyageur right now, too. I'm guessing that Stalker is going to be quite a different--and more deadly--experience!

Regards,

Gibbon

Archived