Make cardboard match's condition always 100%

traceyle

The thing is after survived for 250 days, cardboard match's condition is dropped to zero%. That mean i can only eat raw meat, and after that i m dead because of food poison. I live in rabbit island, that is a nice place to stay, can place trap at door step, wolf dont climb up there, can fish, can hunt deer whenever i like. So after i Scavenged both two maps, i lived in rabbit island, i have everything i need to stay alive for a year i think. But with cardboard match is gone, i cant stay alive for more than 300 days. If only i can make fire with something else like fire stone, or make match's condition not dropping then that mean i can live forever there. It really a bother to me that i "cant" live any longer only because i cant start fire, while i have a dozen of food.

Food poisoning isn't lethal anymore. Your condition won't drop below 15%.

I've been eating raw meat (mostly rabbit)/ fish for the last 200 days and haven't gotten food poisoning once. But I do have a huge supply of potable water. I don't know if dysentery (you can get that from drinking unsafe water) is lethal in TLD, but I'd be more worried about that.

The problem with running out of matches isn't food. It's water. There's no way you can get more water when your last fire is extinguished (that I know of, anyway).

If you want to make your matches last you need to do the following:

1) Make lots of water each time you make a fire. If you start eating your food raw from the very start you'll only need to make fire when you need water.

2) Don't open containers until your matches are low. The degradation doesn't start until you open the container (or pick up a matchbook on a shelf). So don't touch them until you need them.

3) Only carry around as many as you're likely to need. Things you're carrying degrade faster than things in containers. If you're just going out to check your snare line close to your base you don't really need any. If you already have the firestriker you can just carry that unless you think there's a good chance you may need to make a fire before returning to base.

I've had a couple 200+ day games and I haven't even been close to running out of matches.

If I see matches (Wood or cardboard) on a shelf I don't touch them I leave them alone and note where they are. They don't deteriorate until you click on them so this way I keep them in good condition.

Matches I get from containers I use as needed and these are sufficient to raise my firestarting skill high enough that I can ALWAYS start a fire even with cardboard matches.

This game is ALL about conserving tools and items.

I never pick up food after I've gotten the rifle (other than items in containers as those start to degrade as soon as you have the opportunity to add them to your inventory) I just note what is where for later use. I also almost always carry 1-2 L of water around so that I can drop them in locations where there is food. That way I have safe shelter from a storm with both food and water without needing to face a blizzard to melt and boil snow.

The problem with running out of matches isn't food. It's water. There's no way you can get more water when your last fire is extinguished (that I know of, anyway).

If you want to make your matches last you need to do the following:

1) Make lots of water each time you make a fire. If you start eating your food raw from the very start you'll only need to make fire when you need water.

2) Don't open containers until your matches are low. The degradation doesn't start until you open the container (or pick up a matchbook on a shelf). So don't touch them until you need them.

3) Only carry around as many as you're likely to need. Things you're carrying degrade faster than things in containers. If you're just going out to check your snare line close to your base you don't really need any. If you already have the firestriker you can just carry that unless you think there's a good chance you may need to make a fire before returning to base.

I've had a couple 200+ day games and I haven't even been close to running out of matches.

Whenever I come into base location (camp office, trappers homestead, logging camp, etc.) I forage a few pieces of fir firewood by HAND, not using the hatchet it's too valuable to waste on contingency resources. This means that in all of these locations I have fuel readily available should I get stranded there.

I also have 15-30 L of water in the camp office and the trappers homestead just sitting on the floor. I let myself get exhausted while a fire is burning just to crank out water. If you do that you'll find that your matches will last a VERY VERY long time as you use almost none of them.

Some good survival tips here. Especially the one about not using the hatchet when you don't need to.

However, I feel like this comes back to a point I made in a different thread. That I'd like the ability to improvise some simple tools. I feel once you get your firestarting skill to 100, you should be able to get a spark out of two rocks or some other scouty/beargryllsy thing you could do.

But maybe that's just me. I get that this isn't Minecraft, but I'd still like the ability to do that, just to hold out a bit longer. Live off the land and all that.

...I feel once you get your firestarting skill to 100, you should be able to get a spark out of two rocks or some other scouty/beargryllsy thing you could do...

While I agree that more ways to start fire should be implemented, I think it would be very strange to suddenly be great at starting a fire with flint and steel or a bow drill just because you've raised your fire skill to 100 using matches. Although the basics of starting a fire are always the same, you would have limited success using primitive tools to start a fire no matter how good you are with modern tools like matches and lighters. I know this from personal experience ;) So I would like to see different skills needed for using modern fire-starting tools and using primitive fire-starting tools.

I'd also like to see makeshift tools like a hatchet/ knife, sewing kit. And also the possibility to craft them from things like bone. A bone knife would be perfectly usable but degrade faster than the hunting knife.

I think it would be very strange to suddenly be great at starting a fire with flint and steel or a bow drill just because you've raised your fire skill to 100 using matches.

I'd also like to see makeshift tools like a hatchet/ knife, sewing kit. And also the possibility to craft them from things like bone. A bone knife would be perfectly usable but degrade faster than the hunting knife.

Good point about the fire starting skill. There could be synergy between the skills, however. Regular fire skill lets you make better use of available tinder and material while improv skills lets you use rocks or somesuch.

Bone dagger. Now there's a good idea. Yeah, PETA probably wouldn't like it, but that's what the disclaimer's there for, I guess.

Archived