Stranded Deep

Just saw it at steam, basically a tropical The Long Dark, seems very fun. I'm glad there is a another survival game without zombies being developed, definitely buying that one if the devs are as good as the ones here with updates.

I prefer much more the long dark's atmosphere. But i agree, it's good that developers are starting to move beyond the sci-fi and realize that a real life survival is actually still an open market. Since i've played far cry 2 i wished someone would start to create these simulators :D

I prefer much more the long dark's atmosphere. But i agree, it's good that developers are starting to move beyond the sci-fi and realize that a real life survival is actually still an open market. Since i've played far cry 2 i wished someone would start to create these simulators :D

Exactly, from what i've seen I still prefer the long dark but i'm glad other games like that are being made and stranded deep can be as good as our canada simulator <3

• 2 weeks later...

To fill the waiting time for the next update I thought to give Stranded Deep a try. I always loved settings like in Cast Away or Lost and wondered how well I would do, now I have the chance to find out ;)

It is in a very early alpha stage, version 0.1 with one hotfix, so there's not much content inside. But what is already in the game works amazingly well. The focus of the game lies more on crafting than on survival, the latter being quite easy with plenty of food and water and weather (seemingly) having no bad consequence. As long as you stay away from white sharks you shouldn't die.

Crafting in this games means first gather different ressources, put them all on the ground and click on it to get a popup menu of stuff you can build with it. You can hunt for sardines, crabs or sharks, I killed a Tigershark quite easily with an axe on my second day. I've build a permanent fire spit, a bed and a hut for myself plus all crude tools like hammer, axe and spear within the first 5 days and that's about all you can build rightnow. There are other islands to explore, each with some shipwrecks that you can dive for loot. There's also the possibility to build an engine so travel with your life raft goes a bit faster, but I don't have all the parts needed yet.

The game prevents the eat/sleep cycle we all know from TLD by a simple restriction: you can only sleep at night, you have to occupy yourself during the day with something. I don't know if I'd like to see that in TLD because it's needed to restore condition (SD doesn't have this concept of condition) but it would break the cycle immediately. There are also sudden monsuns (counterpart to TLDs blizzard) where you can't see anything and when you're out on the sea with your raft when a monsun hits, all you can do is let go of mouse and keyboard and wait. Sadly there's no way to let time pass faster in anyway other then sleeping at night, which means long periods of starring at the screen without doing anything.

So, TL;DR: it has content for about two hours realtime after which you've seen all there is but this content is very beautiful and works already well. I'm eager to see what the beta or final version will look like. Oh and the story also begins with a plane crash but here you actually live it - though there's no wreck to salvage too.

Sadly there's no way to let time pass faster in anyway other then sleeping at night, which means long periods of starring at the screen without doing anything.

And that's exactly why I don't want to see this (or any other limit on sleeping like only when you're tired enough) in TLD. At least not until there is more to do.

Say you're out on a trip. You take shelter in a cabin to spend the night, planning to return to your base the next day. You go to sleep, wake up in the morning and a blizzard is just starting up. There's nothing to do in the cabin and you can't go back to sleep to speed up time until the blizzard is over... And because this has already happened to you before in the same cabin, you've already foraged all reclaimed wood and tinder bundles. Now you have 2 choices, just wait while staring at the screen or go out into the blizzard.

Now I've gotten that rant out of the way, thanks for the review on Stranded Deep ChillPlayer! :)

Archived