Going for 180

Hylander

So I decided a couple days ago to try and push my current stalker game (currently day 68). Back then I was on about day 35. I hadn't been particularly careful about saving bullets or anything really.

Right now I'm on day 68 as I mentioned. I have 38 bullets left. I have 22 kg of cooked meat stored away right now. I have 84 wooden matches in my locker, plus 80 cardboard. I also have a pack of cardboard matches on one of the shelves in Trapper's that I haven't even looked at. Most importantly, I found (on about day 50) a fire striker (44%) in the metal container at Bear Creek Campground. I haven't used that yet, but apparently in v.183 they last a long time. I found the bunker (clothing bunker), so I have a pile of sewing kits.

I have half a dozen hatchets and knives (each), 20 pieces of scrap metal, and 3 complete crafted outfits (2 in the locker plus the one I'm wearing). I have enough first aid supplies to survive 28 wolf attacks.

I don't do hibernation/starvation sleep ever. I don't ever let my calories get anywhere near zero.

I did the math back on day 35 in terms of bullets to days. If each bullet ends up with a double-kill (wolf/deer), you end up with around 9500 calories of meat. If you sleep normally, between midnight and midnight you consume about 2500 calories. That works out (assuming I am successful with 35 of my remaining 38 bullets) to 133 more days. That puts me out to 200 days, so assuming I don't do anything too stupid, 180 should be doable...

I did the same math at a similar point in my last run, unfortunately I wasn't so lucky to find the cloth bunker (or any bunker for that matter) and ran out of sewing kits. You're also well equiped with 3 complete sets so yeah, 180 should be reachable easy. Don't forget that you don't necessary need a rifle to get deer/wolf meat, you can always either fight it or take a more trickier approach, chase a second deer to the wolf so he will let go of the first one. Gives 9kg meat without the need to fight or shoot.

Barricade yourself on Jackrabbits an follow some simple rules:

- only leave through the kitchen door

- always have food and water on you for at least a day

- only attack a wolf when you have bandages, antiseptic, food and water on you or are very close to the island

- don't sleep outside during blizzards

- whenever possible, scout any area from an elevated point before you enter it. When I leave the house on the island for example, I alwas run on top of the icecliff on the left side just by the house and do a quick sweep to check for wolves.

If you're looking to maximize the calories you can get from your remaining bullets I especially recommend the Island. Leave the house around 2-4pm and 4 out ot 5 times you'll see from the balcony of the house a deer on the ice, down the right side on the foot of the island. Run down, look for the nearest wolf and chase it into it.

happy hunting ;)

I actually prefer Trapper's Homestead. I've done the Jackrabbit Island thing, and I like the silence and solitude of the bottom corner of the map.

There's a nice rock outcrop almost in the corner of the map, that you can climb and get a nice overview of the entire valley. At least once a day I see a deer and a wolf, and half the time I don't even have to chase - they just naturally run into each other.

Yes but one pair a day is not that much and you have to catch it first too. On the island I once even shot three wolf/deer pairs in one go, two on the lake and one near log sort, I had to go three times back and forth to get all the meat home :D Maybe I lack the patience but it's just too quiet at Trapper's for my liking.

One pair (wolf/deer) is enough meat to last three-four days. Having multiple per day is a waste, because once you kill too many animals, you run into meat degradation issues trying to eat it all before it goes bad. At least, that's what I'm finding...

um no after said 3-way and from the day before I had 60KG in fridge and freezer all cooked, this got me a good 25 days further without losing calories. Well like I said in another thread, stalker becomes only really interesting (and hard :D) after you're out of ammo. So I want to burn through the days and ammo as quickly as possible until I get to this point and there's just no quicker way than the island. Not to mention the deadly trap Trapper's is, a fenced exit is gold worth in stalker.

But yeah stay where you feel home at most, I'm just saying that I think your chances are best on the island to reach the 180, which does not mean that it's impossible in T's.

You're probably wise to stick to deer and wolves. I've done the rabbit farming at the downed tree in voyageur mode, but not in stalker. My concern would be wolf ambushes around the rabbit grounds. I've run into them a dozen times over the current playthrough, coming around corners or over the hill. In standard difficulty they tend to be easy to avoid, but in stalker they'd be all over you ready or not.

So I'm on day 78 now. I've only used one bullet since day 68, because I had so much (too much) meat saved up. I'm just getting to finishing it, and some of it is down around 30%.

When I'm bored, I craft new outfits (not that I will ever need them all). So now, including what I'm wearing, I've got five complete sets of the three craftable clothing items. I've run out of space at Trappers to store them, so I've got a couple sets stored at the Camp Office. I've still got six sewing kits, which is just silly. Once I kill one more wolf, I'll have four wolf pelts, so it will be time to make another set of outfits.

Day 103 - I don't know how you guys keep your sanity doing long runs.

This is only the second time I've gone past 100 days - usually I start a new game after day 30-50, once I'm set up and things are starting to get repetitive.

I've got 8 full outfits, still have 32 rounds, bored to tears. I don't think I'm going to make it to day 180, just because I'd have to shoot myself (or sleep all the time, which is just as boring).

Well you seem to be in a very good position to easily hit 200 days or more if you can overcome the boredom ;) When I am at your point (all settled in, still lots of bullets) I usually go into full beserker mode, killing as much deer/wolf I can get, sleep/eat for weeks and when I finally am out of bullets and some 50 days later, the real fun begins.

Unfortunately this is also where the game still needs some balancing, because you usually go from a very comfy situation (bullets yey) to a very dire one where suddenly all the comfort you had is gone, no means to repair your stuff, no bullets, everything falling appart. Because there's no way to preserve food implemented in the game (yet?) you can not plan ahead for those times, all the coats you made will eventually fall appart too and there are only so many sewing kits and tools. I like this point of the game the most but also wished it wasn't so black or white, gameplay changes dramatically once you're out of bullets.

But reading how you prepared yourself so far, it will take you a lot more sleeping to get there ;)

[EDIT]: I just realized you made quite blunder by crafting all your sets already. Set aside that a made coat weighs 4x as much as 4 wolf pelts, it also decays over time while leather and wolf pelts don't. So the sewing kits you have will be used up much faster then if you'd have made only one coat at a time. This alone will probably cost you a good 100 days you would survive longer in this run (if you find the patience to overcome the boredom :D)

Well you seem to be in a very good position to easily hit 200 days or more if you can overcome the boredom ;) When I am at your point (all settled in, still lots of bullets) I usually go into full beserker mode, killing as much deer/wolf I can get, sleep/eat for weeks and when I finally am out of bullets and some 50 days later, the real fun begins.

Unfortunately this is also where the game still needs some balancing, because you usually go from a very comfy situation (bullets yey) to a very dire one where suddenly all the comfort you had is gone, no means to repair your stuff, no bullets, everything falling appart. Because there's no way to preserve food implemented in the game (yet?) you can not plan ahead for those times, all the coats you made will eventually fall appart too and there are only so many sewing kits and tools. I like this point of the game the most but also wished it wasn't so black or white, gameplay changes dramatically once you're out of bullets.

But reading how you prepared yourself so far, it will take you a lot more sleeping to get there ;)

[EDIT]: I just realized you made quite blunder by crafting all your sets already. Set aside that a made coat weighs 4x as much as 4 wolf pelts, it also decays over time while leather and wolf pelts don't. So the sewing kits you have will be used up much faster then if you'd have made only one coat at a time. This alone will probably cost you a good 100 days you would survive longer in this run (if you find the patience to overcome the boredom :D)

Good tip about the raw mats and finished product.

Archived