Thanks for the experience, and some suggestions

fullerfox

Hi Hinterland, I just wanted to let you know how much I love this game thus far. Even though it's still in Alpha, I have already had one of the most profound and powerful gaming experiences of my life. My favorite games allow the player room to create their own narrative, and don't constrain the player's emotional connection to the avatar or to the world. Each playthrough of TLD feels like its own unique narrative, and that's a really amazing accomplishment. Cheers to everyone at Hinterland, and I can't wait for the next update.

I have two suggestions based off of my playthroughs:

1. Cooked meat should weigh less than raw meat (I already posted this suggestion in another thread)

2. Fishing right now feels too risky for too little reward. You risk wolf attacks by going onto a lake, you must use valuable scrap metal for hooks, and the only reward is enough food for maybe one day of survival. I have not fished more than once for these reasons.

Thanks!

Just as an aside, I've been doing a little fishing in Mystery Lake, in the fishing hut near the Lone Lake Cabin (northeast corner of the lake). I haven't ever seen a wolf at that hut, and in one 2-hour session I pulled 2 whitefish and two bass totaling over 2800 calories! Of course, I eat all the fish I catch raw, otherwise you lose too much nutrients to the cooking process.

Oh cool, maybe I should give it another try. In my one fishing experience, I had one fishing tackle break, and I only caught one whitefish which was maybe 600 calories. So I steered clear after that. But obviously trial and error is a big part of this game, and I probably just gave up too quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to relocate to the Lone Lake Cabin shortly to try out fishing again. I've done all my crafting and have a good base of supplies at the lodge, but I'd like to try to work on fishing. And the wolves do seem to avoid that area for some reason. Maybe one will wander around from time to time, but it's no huge deal. I'm going to try a morning of fishing and then cook them in the hut. Should work if I calculated it properly.

Maybe there should be a fishing SKILL to minimize the breaking chance.

Archived