Don't allow "negative/impossible" choices

LDbubba

A UI should never allow paths for negative or impossible actions, like trying to repair an item when the requisite tools are not available.

The UI should be context-sensitive to whatever assets/tools the player is carrying, and only allow selection of tasks that are valid, and give feedback on those that are not.

For example, if you don't have cloth and/or a sewing kit, any clothing item in the Repair UI shows red, with an explanation like: "You don't have the (tools)" and/or "(materials) to repair that". The same for harvesting both wood and animals, if you come across a deer carcass while bare-handed, the UI should change to reflect that harvesting is not possible without a bladed tool.

If you don't have tinder or wood, when you try to light a stove, you should just get a voiceover suggesting that you find some!

Lots more like this, but dead-end UI mapping is a really bad idea. ;)

For example, if you don't have cloth and/or a sewing kit, any clothing item in the Repair UI shows red, with an explanation like: "You don't have the (tools)" and/or "(materials) to repair that".

The piece of clothing may not show up red in the drop down (I think this is a good idea), but when you select it the UI clearly shows you what required items you are missing. How would the UI tell you this without selecting the piece of clothing first?

The same for harvesting both wood and animals, if you come across a deer carcass while bare-handed, the UI should change to reflect that harvesting is not possible without a bladed tool.

But that's not quite true. It is possible to harvest the carcass without a bladed tool. You just need to thaw the carcass first if it's too frozen.

I actually think that in the case of harvesting a carcass the UI not telling you it's impossible without a tool is intentionally. If you'd try to harvest a frozen deer for the first time without a tool, you're going to find out that's impossible. Or if the carcass isn't frozen yet it will take you a long time. But this game is also about you thinking about what you're doing and figuring out for yourself that such a job would go faster with a knife.

The same goes for foraging for wood. If you do so without a hatchet, that's fine. It just takes longer. But that should make sense to any sensible person. You need to figure out yourself that a hatchet would make your job easier. And if the next time you try again but this time with a hatchet, you will find out that it indeed speeds up the process.

The devs want to make an old-school style game where the game doesn't always tell you everything, doesn't make it obvious what's the best way to do something. You have to think for yourself in this game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the UI is perfect and doesn't need any improvements. Just trying to explain that the devs don't intend for the game to explain everything to the player.

Archived