Recommended Posts

(I don't know if I didn't remember it, or never went out during aurora here, or if it's a new feature added to the lighthouse)
screen_e93d4393-adf9-473d-be2d-022568794fca_hi.thumb.png.010b57179af83c6c175f51c9d8aa264f.png

  • Upvote 7
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I think I woke up to a UFO hovering behind Misanthrope's Homestead...

The Long Dark_20191111210100.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LkP said:

(I don't know if I didn't remember it, or never went out during aurora here, or if it's a new feature added to the lighthouse)
screen_e93d4393-adf9-473d-be2d-022568794fca_hi.thumb.png.010b57179af83c6c175f51c9d8aa264f.png

I've seen a few screenshots of the LH lit up during an Aurora, and honestly f do not remember it ever doing so before. Looking back through my 5000+ screenshots, for ones with the LH during an Aurora, I cannot find one with the LH lit up like that. I do believe it is new as of 1.60 (or one of the hotfixes after?), and i do think it is awesome. :) 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I've seen a few screenshots of the LH lit up during an Aurora, and honestly f do not remember it ever doing so before. Looking back through my 5000+ screenshots, for ones with the LH during an Aurora, I cannot find one with the LH lit up like that. I do believe it is new as of 1.60 (or one of the hotfixes after?), and i do think it is awesome. :) 

Yep it's nice. I was busy cooking on that one but I'll stay a bit more in DP to play with the wolves on the next aurora. I wonder how they deal with this moving light. And also to see how it looks from the top.

Edited by LkP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ThePancakeLady / @LkP
When I previously saw screenshots like those I always just assumed folks were lining the lantern room with... you know, lanterns :lantern:  :D 
I mean that lighthouse (since it's inception anyway) has definitely been one of my favorite places anyways... but now?!
I can't wait to get back there (I'm still working at my personal challenge so it will likely be a while before I get to that region) and see this "in person."

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'm more excited about this than I would have thought I would be... :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@ThePancakeLady / @LkP
When I previously saw screenshots like those I always just assumed folks were lining the lantern room with... you know, lanterns :lantern:  :D 
I mean that lighthouse (since it's inception anyway) has definitely been one of my favorite places anyways... but now?!
I can't wait to get back there (I'm still working at my personal challenge so it will likely be a while before I get to that region) and see this "in person."

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'm more excited about this than I would have thought I would be... :) 

Me too! This is definitely relatively new because I remember being disappointed that the lighthouse didn't work during auroras.

I usually breeze through that region due to feeling trapped by the hostile wildlife occupying every choke point. You have to play like a madman, or a caveman to live there long term! It also doesn't have very good hunting prospects until your cooking level negates parasites. For this reason I hardly experience any auroras there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I'm more excited about this than I would have thought I would be... :) 

Same here! In one of my slots, my survivor is stationed at The Riken, and since I saw these screenshots I've been waiting for an aurora to happen, but nothing yet! Damn! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 2:24 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

The folks who want only photo-realistic graphics in games will never get it, and are missing out on a great experience.

The best part of stylized graphics is that they're both memorable, unique, and age well! 10 years from now this game would still be beautiful in my eyes and memory, while current photo-realistic games kind of just blend together and will look obsolete. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 9:14 PM, vidholf said:

I'm feeling very accomplished... 8-)

(First time on top of Timberwolf Mountain.)

Congratulations on summiting Timberwolf! It's always a great feeling.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 9:06 PM, stay puft said:

The Long Dark_20191112192720.jpg

I have noticed that my breath cloud is often red now; I see that you've got that too. I'm wondering if that's a bug because it doesn't really make sense.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stratvox said:

I have noticed that my breath cloud is often red now; I see that you've got that too. I'm wondering if that's a bug because it doesn't really make sense.

What is your warmth meter reading/ And I have only seen my character's breath as red during an Aurora in Survival Mode, which makes me think it shows we may be more affected by the Aurora than we think. Anyone else seen it as red when there is no Aurora in effect, or during daylight hours?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

What is your warmth meter reading/ And I have only seen my character's breath as red during an Aurora in Survival Mode, which makes me think it shows we may be more affected by the Aurora than we think. Anyone else seen it as red when there is no Aurora in effect, or during daylight hours?

during the day if I'm by a fire or have a torch light my breath is orange but I've only seen it red during an aurora.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 3:14 AM, vidholf said:

(First time on top of Timberwolf Mountain.)

Nice. I just failed (interloper), bitten by a wolf, caught in severe weather (blizzard, -7c in the morning despite the snow shelter + bear bedroll), only survived on a rush fall back using  all the 3 emergency stim I had in a row. Close call.

I'll be back ! (even if I have to go through the Moria lol )

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just really liked the muted colors, and the fingernail moon here. And the light of that tiny moon on the landscape, with the deep, deep shadows.

screen_a4889449-4757-44a8-b15c-d13bb8361b32_hi.thumb.png.d3efddc54107f3eccc14d804047797e5.png

screen_89823f4f-8f5c-4212-98a4-a19dcd33746c_hi.thumb.png.708ef49f6996e993ae507caa4dbedd03.png

TFW... you really want that deer carcass, but you know there is a toothy surprise on the other side of that little hillock...

screen_95caf7fe-1dc8-4200-9b61-82ed39b99c9c_hi.thumb.png.dd7ce66ccfe1583fc4627dbe309cee58.png 

Always wondering, just out of pure curiosity, how many other people prefer this path through here, Aurora or not..

screen_93eca5e0-9382-4370-868c-22682e5aa22c_hi.thumb.png.ea4a3cb50b53539af2e089271c7e881c.png

And a little clue about the time period we are in... spoilered for those who don't want to see it, if they have never looked closely at the tombstones in the game yet.

screen_713c418e-c913-43e4-967e-0294f6bc8391_hi.thumb.png.2b7b182e6521e56616220f883e98a1fe.png
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, stratvox said:

I have noticed that my breath cloud is often red now

Perhaps your survivor just has tuberculosis? :D 
:coffee::fire::coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Always wondering, just out of pure curiosity, how many other people prefer this path through here, Aurora or not...

...

And a little clue about the time period we are in... spoilered for those who don't want to see it, if they have never looked closely at the tombstones in the game yet.

So that's why that path of boards is available down there! I've used it, but never even thought about what it would be like in an aurora. I've only been down in the power station from the main entrance, while an aurora was happening - and, of course, there is a hallway with pipes that is impossible to get past while an aurora is going.

 

RE: time period - I think I read in one of the Mailbag posts that the decline of the island started before the Collapse, so there's not a clear time period for where we are, playing the game, based on artifacts found. The tombstones, though, do at least put an upper limit on things.

My personal head canon remains that The Long Dark in Survival Mode is what happens to Commander Shepard after the end of the Mass Effect trilogy (if you choose Reaper destruction, and then imagine Shepard recovering, only to go down in a plane over Great Bear Island). 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A totally normal morning in Pleasant Valley :) 

The Long Dark_20191118214448.jpg

Edited by stay puft
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, stratvox said:

I have noticed that my breath cloud is often red now; I see that you've got that too. I'm wondering if that's a bug because it doesn't really make sense

it's a bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now