Other noteworthy Kickstarter Projects?

• Hinterland

With only 4 days to go and a lot of money left to raise, 1979 Revolution doesn't look likely to hit its target, but I'd love to see it get closer and perhaps some of that support translate to PayPal backing if the project fails. No matter your political beliefs, I support people taking risks and experimenting with games as a medium to try to tackle some more controversial, more meaningful subject matter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1817380887/1979-revolution-black-friday

Plus, Navid the guy heading up the project was a part of many of Rockstar's early games including GTA, so the team has some impressive pedigree.

Question for you folks, what are your thoughts on Kickstarter vs. IndieGoGo? As far as I know, the big difference is that IndieGoGo gets your money instantly no matter how much of the desired funding the project gets, but Kickstarter doesn't charge you unless the project is fully funded. That's always made me feel that IndieGoGo projects are less trustworthy, since anyone could post a project, get a few hundred bucks, and disappear with it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, since I've certainly seen some interesting things on IndieGoGo.

Guest emily_hinterland

@anomrabbit, IGG offers flexible funding (if the project is partially funded, you can keep all money raised, but IGG takes a bigger cut) and fixed funding (all or nothing, which is what KS does): http://www.indiegogo.com/how-pricing-works-on-indiegogo

You're right in that there are many fantastic projects on IGG! I know some developers (and I'm sure others here can name some people, too) who have put great games on IGG and even though some of them didn't hit their goal, they're still in active communication with the people who did back them. No running off to the Cayman Islands for them ;)

@anomrabbit, another model is used by RocketHub, where you pledge money for a project and then never see it again. If the project succeeds, then it receives it, otherwise RocketHub keeps it, reimbursing you with "store credit" you can use on other projects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is one for the Survivalist in us all and its called the Vertex Ultralight BackPack Stove and it folds down flat !!!!

Simple = Dependable

After a long day on the trail, replenishing your energy is essential. You don't want to worry if your stove has a broken valve or is out of gas. It just needs to work. By eliminating the parts that fail in the field, the Vertex Ultralight stove provides peace of mind and a more pleasurable, hassle-free experience.

dLXcLiO.png

Question for you folks, what are your thoughts on Kickstarter vs. IndieGoGo? As far as I know, the big difference is that IndieGoGo gets your money instantly no matter how much of the desired funding the project gets, but Kickstarter doesn't charge you unless the project is fully funded. That's always made me feel that IndieGoGo projects are less trustworthy, since anyone could post a project, get a few hundred bucks, and disappear with it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, since I've certainly seen some interesting things on IndieGoGo.

The fact that Kickstarter only takes your money after the funding goal is met, is why I back projects at all. Even if the funding goal is met, there is still a chance the project never sees completion. If the goal is not met, that chance is much higher.

If my money was taken regardless of whether the goal is met or not, I would not pledge my money until after the goal was met (and I found the goal realistic). And many, if not most, people feel the same way. So I think it would be much harder to get a project funded using a system like that of IGG flexible funding or, even worse, the model used by RocketHub.

The fact that Kickstarter only takes your money after the funding goal is met, is why I back projects at all. Even if the funding goal is met, there is still a chance the project never sees completion. If the goal is not met, that chance is much higher.

If my money was taken regardless of whether the goal is met or not, I would not pledge my money until after the goal was met (and I found the goal realistic). And many, if not most, people feel the same way. So I think it would be much harder to get a project funded using a system like that of IGG flexible funding or, even worse, the model used by RocketHub.

I agree on this. Indiegogo just doesn't jump out at me, and they seem to be more of a change.org type of fundraising type site. One for the Greenies lol but honestly, they don't have the hold on the market like KS does.

I look at it this way, a lot of KS Projects have a $1 and you get the lot Pledge, and if you can get on it, I will. 2nd, like last night, Avatron Software, makers of Air Login/Connect/Display and they are top notch App, being $10+ sent me a tweet they had 7hrs left on a Project for EveryDisk, which is in a Nutshell a Connection to your Mac/PC from anywhere in the world, so its like DropBox but on your own computer, and it was 7K short with 7Hrs to go. I backed it on the $100 Pledge thinking, if they don't make it, i didn't loose anything, but if they did, ill get this awesome piece of code, as well as lifetime subscription to it, as well as Air Login, which is $25/yr so I'm a winner anyway i look at it, because they don't have a Life Subscription for Air Login, and now with that and EveryDisk, i can get ANY file on my Mac, or Server, or connected Drives, or Time Capsules. . . . I couldn't loose as they say, and that $100 will save me 1000's over my lifetime . . . They are the ones i back . . . No risk for me.

Here is one for the Survivalist in us all and its called the

Vertex Ultralight BackPack Stove

and it folds down flat !!!!

That's a nice looking stove!

Yea it is, but i didn't get in on it, as it looks easy to make, plus i have the Military Style Hex Burner Stove and that boils water in a minute.

2nd, like last night, Avatron Software, makers of Air Login/Connect/Display and they are top notch App, being $10+ sent me a tweet they had 7hrs left on a Project for EveryDisk, which is in a Nutshell a Connection to your Mac/PC from anywhere in the world, so its like DropBox but on your own computer, and it was 7K short with 7Hrs to go. I backed it on the $100 Pledge thinking, if they don't make it, i didn't loose anything, but if they did, ill get this awesome piece of code, as well as lifetime subscription to it, as well as Air Login, which is $25/yr so I'm a winner anyway i look at it, because they don't have a Life Subscription for Air Login, and now with that and EveryDisk, i can get ANY file on my Mac, or Server, or connected Drives, or Time Capsules. . . . I couldn't loose as they say, and that $100 will save me 1000's over my lifetime . . . They are the ones i back . . . No risk for me.

Now there's a good deal! To bad the kickstarter has ended already. I'm looking for a new remote access serviceanyway, now that LogMeIn stopped offering a free subscription.

Thought alcohol doesn't work well below freezing [Hint Hint Hinterland team :-) ]

So, you're saying when it starts getting really cold we'd better drink all our alcohol, right? Right, Rob??

(glug glug glug)

Wouldn't recommend drinking denatured Alcohol, but I'm loving the way you think.

Here is another Survival one i found . .

Mini Kit (MK-7) Tactical Multicam Nylon Gear Pouch

xOQZ9Hx.jpg

I have been developing an all new style of nylon pouch; I call it the MINI KIT. It is a 5.5” x 5.5” nylon clam-shell opening pouch designed to be filled with small gear or medical supplies that would otherwise be loose in your pocket or in a backpack. I found that I needed a modular, lightweight pouch with no MOLLE or PALS strapping on the exterior. I just wanted something that would hold my small gear or medical supplies, fold open and closed easily and slide into my pocket when on the trail or outings with my kids. The pouch needed to be rugged and have retention for my tools and other gear as well as a few interior pockets to keep everything organized.

• 2 weeks later...

@robdoar Thought you would find this interesting and a lot better than just a carabiner

And yet another great looking project and would be of benefit in any survival situation . . .

Dynamic Load Manager (DLM) - Changing the outdoors forever!

The DLM is a patent pending, self-locking, device that can be used with a variety of different cords in dozens of different applications, from bear bagging to setting up your hammock. With no moving parts (other than the gate) the DLM is durable and provides reliable performance in demanding conditions. It is simple to use and the amount of friction can be adjusted to match your application

c1Wn9NE.jpg

Thanks Mac!

I'll be curious to see where the project goes. I'm most interested in hammock suspension for them, but there are way lighter (and heavier duty) options out there.

I try to go light on hardware, and use knots as much as I can. But I have a few of the Night-Ize figure 9's, that have made tarp setup a dream.

• 1 month later...
  • Hinterland

My buddy Nate (a local) is running a KS for his cool indie game, Cosmochoria. The thing is oozes personality. I don't think it oozes anything else, but if you're into that sort of thing, Nate can probably help you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/na ... osmochoria

There's already a solid Alpha of the game and Nate has a very modest goal ($10k CAD) and he's more than half way there with 29 days to go. I'd love to see him knock this out of the park and get a little extra cash to finish the game (it's been a labour of love and he's mainly done everything himself). Truly indie!

• 1 month later...

[fade]SUPERSHOT[/fade]

This things is amazing gameplay, which you can do here ~ SuperShot Prototype

But go and have a loo at there KickStarter page (Im HATING the new KS Green :spew:) and check it out. We just past 100k and its funded within 24hrs. Its a FPS but time doesn't move unless you do. I have been hooked on the Prototype since I backed this and can't stop playing it. Love the gameplay, and the KS Game will be 1000% better graphics, motion, gameplay, and . . . Ohh its good :D

Kickstarter SUPERHOT 29days to to go as of 16th May 2014

I think you will love it, because there isn't another game like it ANYWHERE !!!!

• 11 months later...

Been a while since anyone posted in here, but I have found a Project that might help some. It is called the Kickstarter ~ Survival Pen

An awesome EDC survival tool for the adventurous! Machined from solid titanium, this durable tool can start a fire, make a snare, shoot a flare, and much more. Once you have survived and made it back to civilization, you can sign your checks or make a grocery list, because it's also a pen. It is the one's best equipped that will always ENDURE!

15 days left and minimum $125 but it has some cool features in a small package !!

• 1 month later...

The Fire Starter Paracord Keyring & Bracelet . . . .

I backed these blokes for their Bomber Barrel bag, which is a waterproof, rugged Barrel bag, and is very well made, with waterproof zips, and double stitched webbing, to make this awesome bag. Its the only one I now take travelling, because its small enough as hand luggage for flying, yet big enough to fit everything you needI not it. I also go a Travel bag for mens stuff, for Dusche and the Paracord Survival bracelet which comes with a flint and striker.

They have now started another project, based on feedback from us, and this will give you a Paracord Survival Keyring . . . Check it out Firestarter Paracord Bracelet / Keychain | Survival Gear

centerhttp://imgur.com/sVawGNQ.png

centerhttp://imgur.com/a9VFpdj.png

Archived