Suggestions re: Foraging

Waffle Scientist

Hi, we are enjoying this game very much so far and want to thank you for going to the trouble of crafting it. I just thought of something to make it a little more realistic -- foraging limited quantities of scrap metal in like manner to foraging reclaimed wood.

Explanation: I was exploring a modern house and saw metal items such as a toaster, oven, and medicine shelf. The thought sprang to mind right then: I should be able to break these metal household fixtures down into scrap metal to repair my tools, if I can do the same with a can opener. This may be impossible to accomplish in real life given the player's circumstances, but the game should make sense within itself.

One problem is, what about outside areas that have objects that really should be salvageable for scrap metal? There must be some, but I haven't played enough to remember any (do you?). Those outside objects would just be part of The Outdoors, so how would they be marked as a separate, limited amount of scrap metal?

Just some thoughts on in-game common sense. I leave it up to Hinterland to figure out if this can be balanced and/or how.

~Thanks Again~ :shock:

Hi Waffle Scientist! That is a very good point. I think a limited number of scrapt metal per big house should and could be added. Five, maybe?

And about the outdoors, well, the cars are the only safe thing I can think about. I guess a system could be devised that the game would check your location and if you were, say, at the derailment or train yard, some scrap metal could be salvagable. Whether that would make sense or be intuitive is a matter of discussion and I myself would be leaning against it. The safe reason (or excuse) not to implement outside metal harvesting is the cold. I suppose anything that is exposed to water and freezing temperatures would be almost impossible to dismantle by normal means.

I think that to balance the massive availability of scrap metal, should we be allowed to do as you suggest, we should introduce a new tool: the screwdriver. It can be used as a weapon in a wolf struggle, and it is used to disassemble machinery into it's component parts to harvest scrap. It also increases the chance of success if you use it to repair the rifle instead of simple tools.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate (though I agree with this suggestion) and raise the point that if we can scrounge for scrap, we could get to a point where we could basically survive indefinitely. It's true, eventually we would run out, but given that people are already surviving into the hundreds of days, I imagine that almost already everybody would quit before they actually died. Now, the question is whether we want sandbox to be indefinite survival as a possibility, or not. I imagine the devs know the answer to that one.

Archived