Pls don't over-force the difficulty

Fred10258

Hi :)

I'm new. I've watched a few youtube vids before and it did look great.

Specially when hungry: those -1500 calories. Because indeed, a human can survive for at least 5-6 days without food. Fantastic done !

Now, when I'm myself playing this game (with many updates)

it seems to be harder and harder, than in the video I've watched before.

Pls don't over-force the difficulty, so that the game isn't believeable (reality) anymore.

I've also readed some messages on steam, that some people are getting doubts & questions.

Like for example:

- that you must eat almost kilo's every day and drink gallons. While the meat is so scares.

Craft something or sleep and you may die as well.

Go fishing and you're line snap very quickly. Shoot animals, you run out of bullets very quickly.

Put snares, you get less and less results every time.

- Placing a wolf in a dam ? Inside a building ? Where does it end ? Where's the reality ?

Like it's not hard enough, as it's now already ? It's a nature survival ? Or am I wrong ?

- Fighting a wolf with bare hands, many people are so confused how to do that ?

They press very quickly a button and nothing happens.

Now Wolves see you from a far distance. Is there any point anymore in sneeking ?

Ok I know, it's a survival GAME, but pls don't make it a new Dark Souls or so.

Stick to the game, like you wanna have maded it in the beginning of development (or how do you say that ?)

To much (UNREAL) HARDER changes after each other, is destroying it.

Another example: give a blizzard every 2 days .... common ....

Last time I did wanna let me die by a wolf, I ran out of food

At least that was a QUICK dead hahahaha :D

Instead of struggling ........

50% of the game is RPG (leveling up you're skills) crafting and such ...

Why don't you make it 100% and still keep the survival aspect ?

Like for example: when you kill a wolf with a knife ...

- ("Knife Wolf fighting" goes up with 1%) (That is sure NOT much !!) But at least, you have a small reward.

It's like learning to fight against the animals, to survive.

It's like: when fighting a wolf and a tactic works, use it again next time.

Then maybe you are less wounded in a next wolf fight.

And maybe maybe in the long time run, you have a chance to survive longer & harvest more meat

If you are stranded in hard nature and you have a knife. (you ofcourse need food)

For getting food, you start killing / setting traps for small animals like rabbits.

From there you go higher: with you're knife, you start to create a BOW to shoot DEER or BIRDS at least.

Because there are branches enough in the woods.

And you make arrows ofcourse also, with you're knife.

Just an idea :D

Bows & arrows, that is what I should do, when I'm stuck in nature to survive.

This game has sure potential. I love the world-layout. Its beautifull.

I hope however, the story mode is more interesting ....

Greetings ........

(Sorry for long talk) I had my moment again hehehe :D:D

When I start .... Stopping is difficult :D:D

Food isn't critical... and with low source supplies you just need to learn how to stretch them out... don't need to take/loot everything... don't start decay times when you don't need to...

Game takes practice - once you start discovering the techniques for your gameplay style, it becomes much easier...

And yes there are a lot of players with 50, 75, 100, and 200+ days in stalker mode without using hibernation techniques.

It's not meant to be an easy game - but there's also multiple ways to approach each challenge.

The mechanics and settings are constantly changing though, so it's still being balanced out throughout the alpha stage

SIDE NOTE: *btw* In that area and conditions (such as in the game), IRL it's not unusual for a person to need 8000 t0 12000+ calories a day, and dehydration is extremely dangerous. The body is constantly trying to fight off hypothermia.

And (for in-game) if you're eating 10k calories of food a day, then you simply haven't learned the full mechanics - you don't need to stay at 100% condition (the body can go on reserves for quite a while).

The mechanics and settings are constantly changing though, so it's still being balanced out throughout the alpha stage

I surely hope for the story mode, in the futur.

Don't let people loose interest by these things.

So you mean: that I should keep everything where it is ? Until I need it ?

What do I do in the mean time ? Sleep ? That needs food and drinks.

So the tactic is then, go from here to there, and never stay longer than 24 hours ?

So the tactic of making a BASE (and bring everything to it) is wrong ???

Nevertheless, soon you run out quickly of food. Specially with a blizzard, trying to get shelter.

No food anymore = starving. Unless it's needed to know the map of the whole world you're in.

Is that then the gameplay ? Know everything ?

By nature survival => in my head => learn to get food / water by yourself,

instead of only depending on the loot in towns and stuff.

But read my message above => SNARES everything get's less and less

There's even not an option to make: BOWS & ARROWS

Kinda "Thumbs Down" :( :evil:

as you're new, and this game doesn't want to "hold your hand", of course you're gonna have a hard time at first, but soon you will figure out how to use your resources.

a lot of players are already complaining that the game is too easy, even on stalker mode, because they manage to survive for 100s of days. so i wouldn't say it's too hard, but it's not made for beginners or casual gamers.

oh and i want to see you IRL craft an actually useful bow, or even arrows, and then shoot BIRDS. that's damn near impossible.

So you mean: that I should keep everything where it is ? Until I need it ?

You learn to just take what you actually need for now (or selectively take the additional items if single trips to the area aren't worthwhile).

Items don't normally start a decay timer until you take it into your inventory the first time, so leaving it where it first was (which is different than taking it and then storing it back), supplies will last longer.

As well, you're carrying around less weight, so your calories aren't burning as fast.

What do I do in the mean time ? Sleep ? That needs food and drinks.

Depends where you are, what your supplies are like, where your travel points are... there are times to forage, times to have the wolves do some hunting for you, when to rest to make sure your fatigue can handle more excursions or unexpected wolf battles, stock up on boiling water, etc.

So the tactic is then, go from here to there, and never stay longer than 24 hours ?

So the tactic of making a BASE (and bring everything to it) is wrong ???

There's nothing wrong with staying in an area for longer, and same with setting a base -- or, as most of us from longer Stalker runs do, setting up multiple bases...

You learn where the various hunting areas are best populated, and you also look for some good wolf activity where it's manageable to have them hunt more food for you.

If you're going strictly for survival days, then you could simply use hibernation techniques, but that's pretty boring gameplay.

In early versions (when wolves were even harder), a lot of us spent a lot of lives [learning curve] practising playing with the wolves and deer to learn how to use them to our advantage.

We also have different wolf avoidance techniques (lot are the same basic approach, but we each have our prefered ways to deal with wolves when needed)... Myself, I enjoy a less safe Running past them (not easy, but fun when successful)... LMG tends to reroute to a different path to avoid them... Accurize will often charge them if he wants to get by... GreyRookTV tends to either flare them (if he has some), or tease and deke them...

It all depends on how much we need [read] to get past them... worse comes to worst, you change travel plans and paths.

Also, biggest [most common] mistake players make in town:

When you're leaving a building, you should already know where you want to go next, and be moving as soon as you're outside. If you just stand there looking around when you get outside, you're giving close wolves time to ping you. If they bark and you're just standing there looking for them, you've given them 5-10 seconds to ping and charge you.

Always try to look for buildings with 2-doors... if wolf is at one, you can escape quickly out the other door.

NOTE: Wolves will clear a little distance after 15-30 minutes in-game time... not necessarily "leave the area", but the will usually give some distance so you can go out and travel quickly to outdistance them.

Again - it all takes practice. If something in the game keeps killing you, then it just means you need to find out how and what you need to change in your patterns. Once you discover what works for you, then what once seemed overpowering actually becomes fun to tease and toy with 8-)

Indeed it's not made for beginners or casual gamers, like me, WHY ????

This is the first time I'm interested in a survival game. 98% of the rest of the survival games, doesn't interest me.

They all seem boring. This is the first survival, I find interesting ... + it's beautifull done ...

So here: I will repeat myself: => Pls don't over-puch anymore the difficulty.

=> there's another solution => Keep the current difficulties and CREATE a new one => NIGHTMARE or so

But pls let the beginners or casual gamers have ALSO at least a chance to survive !

Without playing on EASY => EXPLORATION only (NO wildlife attacks) boring .........

1) Traveling around and getting not to heavenly weighted, I understand.

I understand also, that some items are starting to decay, when picked-up. like wood matches ...

2) After a good night sleep and weather is decent, I normally start harvesting wood. 1x that wood gives 75% of chances,

the rest will be HARD wood, that can burn for hours. When my campfire is maded for hours,

I will start melting & boiling water for days or weeks even. And also cook the meat that is needed.

I guess good tactic ?

HERE WE HAVE A PROB

You learn where the various hunting areas are best populated, and you also look for some good wolf activity where it's manageable to have them hunt more food for you.

3) How the heck do you do that, without firing a shot with you're gun ?

Let them chase you, and then you circle around a deer or so, and cross you're fingers, that the wolf chase the deer, instead of you ?? One wolf mistake, and I'm dead, like 20 TIMES !!!!!!!.

I can't click so fast these buttons (to survive a wolf fight) It's going to fast.

So fast also, that it can let me DAMAGE my keyboard !!!!!!!!!

If this is the intention, like many other games lately, then I say GOODBYE

Pressing buttons so fast for survival, that it can even damage you're mouse or keyboard => GOODBYE

And never I buy again a game anymore from that compagny

4) If I use a base, It's a good one. With a back door at least and with minimum of wolves.

Like that Rabbit Island. However, I get less and less results, getting rabbids, even I move the traps.

5) If I have a home-base, I always know to go next or what to do next.

I also take my time to harvest wood and to boil water.

Water was never a problem, only FOOD is a real PROBLEM.

Ok, I can use my shotgun, but i wanna survive without shooting.

If I bring a deer to a wolf, the wolf is eating it so long, that the deer is FULLY FROZEN.

I can't harvest anything. And if I can, It's so dam froozen, that I must cook it FOR HOURS !!!!

That's killing my food / water / fatigue

Ok, lure a wolf to a deer and then shoot it. Fresh meat from both, but you did loose a bullet.

I guess bullets are the last resort, when nothing else works anymore.

And you're quickly out of bullets, believe me .........

>Let them chase you, and then you circle around a deer or so, and cross you're fingers, that the wolf chase the deer, instead of you ?? One wolf mistake, and I'm dead, like 20 TIMES !!!!!!!.

Heh. No. Deer run away from you. Chase one into a wolf.

In general most of my gams start out pretty similarly.

Figure out where I've spawned

Check time and temp, if it's fairly mild head to an area that I can set up as a base, if it's nasty out find the nearest shelter.

At first I gather all the food and drinks I find searching every building I can find. My goal here is to find knives, hatchets, bullets, and the rifle and the food I've gathered keeps me going through this phase.

Once I have that then I can settle in.

My first kill at this point is usually by luring a deer to a wolf, then shoot the wolf. This sets me up for quite a while for food and gives me time to continue to explore the world so I'll know later where to find items.

Subsequent kills are usually by pushing a deer to a wolf, then pushing another deer or a rabbit to the wolf. The wolf will leave the first deer and so I set a fire next to it and harvest away.

Eventually I spend my time crafting items, clothes (I try to have a spare of each craftable clothing as crafting them doesn't require non-attainable resources, fixing them requires a sewing kit), Snares, etc.

Like you I spend nice days gathering wood, if it's really nice out I just use my hands to preserve my hatchet. By 2 weeks in I usually have 75-100 fir logs ready to go.

I let any meat I've gotten (rabbits, deer, fish, or wolf) degrade in condition until the lowest condition is <30%. Then I stoke up a fire and cook ALL the meat, and get a LOT of water ready. Ideally I'm only needing to start a fire every 2 weeks or so.

Once I'm well set up, I start exploring for things like the bunker. And really just like in real life the true danger is boredom that leads you to take un-necessary risks.

Archived