Build a sledge

The Intersect

some times when I'm on a supply run, I think... I wouldn't put all this stuff in a rucksack, I'd pull it on a sledge or something, meaning i could carry more weight for less effort ( maybe not uphill I suppose)...

How about being able to build a rudimentary sledge for the purpose of lugging stuff around?

Seconded. When I was moving all of my stuff from my base in the office cabin in Mystery Lake to the dam, then on to the coastal highway and beyond, I was making three or four trips back and forth to each location. Should like to be able to build a sledge from all that leather and wood I've been getting. You drag the sledge behind you, which lessens the speed reduction for being encumbered. you could even have a mechanic that if a wolf comes out at you, you can drop the sledge and run for it, coming back to it later.

Just something basically to make it easier to pack up and move, basically.

This has been heavily suggested before, And I'm all for it. We need some form of portable inventory beyond what we can carry. In addition to this, as it is wholly unrealistic to carry a dead deer or wolf on your back for long distances, as has been suggested in the post "Dragging bodies" (see viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2690) Lashing the body to a sled and dragging that would be interesting. I would also like to see a bleed mechanic for when moving corpses, as wounds still bleed at a low flow rate after death, so blood trails that wolves can pick up on and follow would be interesting (not to mention a nightmare for the person pulling the sled)

I disagree. Give the players a sled and tomorrow they will want reindeer you can tame to pull it. Before you know it we will all be wearing Santa outfits and flying through the sky killing wolves with our solid gold machineguns from above like some dayZ mod.

I disagree. Give the players a sled and tomorrow they will want reindeer you can tame to pull it. Before you know it we will all be wearing Santa outfits and flying through the sky killing wolves with our solid gold machineguns from above like some dayZ mod.

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile, eh?

It's as elloco said...Besides, your character using a sled to carry around more stuff is more realistic than the wishes of taming deer and wolves, suddenly breaking years of instinct telling said animals how to act ;)

On a related note to add to the sled wish, perhaps our character could either find a sled or craft one, with the found ones (assuming they're factory made or something) being able to carry more than a crafted one? And perhaps to balance this, found ones are about as rare as that ever-elusive magnifying glass... 8-)

It all depends on one thing: physics module. As far as I am aware, there is none. When you drop something, it appears on the ground below you. When you place a lamp, it snaps to an object. I didn't pay any attention to this, but I am fairly certain that there is no ragdoll for "freshly killed" animals either (the short period after removing from AI simulation and before removing from ragdoll simulation). Once physics module is added, the simple implementation of sledge would be quite simple, as modern physics modules support traction and rope/towing physics. There is one big HOWEVER.

What would the implications would be?

These are the main things to think about, just from the design perspective, not from "difficulty to program" perspective.

• What would the slope angle/weight/speed ratio would be so player would not be limited from traveling only on flat surfaces and down slope?
  • Can it overturn? Can it spill it's contents upon overturning?
  • Will it be necessary to modify maps so the sledge could get be actually used from A to B without running into obstacles every few meters?

As I said, the simple technology implementation into the engine could be easy. Properly implementing it into a game would be a challenge.

• 2 months later...

If you have food items on a sledge and abandon it to escape a wolf, can the wolf chow down on your groceries? Or tear up any cloth or leather items?

I think the easiest but least realistic way to do a sledge would be to create a new "sort" tab in the inventory screen that behaves like a searched container -- you put items in it (on it) and their weight is significantly reduced. As a nod to realism, they might try to make that tab accessible outdoors only.

Slightly better might be the sledge as a container that becomes "attached" to the character. Click on it in inventory and it appears, click on it on screen and manage your inventory. It should "drop off" every time you enter a building. But containers in this game are terrain pieces, not items -- is it even possible to add items that contains more items to the current game program?

Carcasses and bodies have a similar issue -- right now they are containers (terrain pieces), not items.

Realistically, a sledge should have limited areas it can be used, which would be (I imagine) a programming nightmare. Should the sledge restrict the character's movement? Or should the sledge drop off when the character leaves sledge-friendly terrain? And if the sledge drops off, should the supplies remain securely on it, or should they be scattered around? Should the character be able to abandon the sledge instantly, or should it take time to get free of ropes and/or harness?

And all of this is without adding a sledge visual to the game. As much as I actually do want a sledge, I think it might be something for TLD 2 or 3.

I don't have the time or the patience for reality jackattack! Someone should just snap their fingers and MAKE it happen! Seriously, good idea but it will most likely have to wait for a new engine as jackattack said. Count me in as an early backer for TLD2!

9e9.gif

Archived