Indoor Temperature

UniverseBear

So I've really been enjoying this game but there is one thing that kind of bugs me and that I feel could make the game better.

Indoor temperature doesn't make any sense at all. Right now in the game it can be -27 outside and then you walk into an unheated house and somehow it's -4. I can tell you as a Canadian living with -30 C conditions that if you don't heat your home it will become just as cold as outside. The only thing a house should do is block any wind chill that is around. The inside of the house should still be as cold as outside (unless for some reason it has working heating).

Having a fire inside should be more effective then having it outside because a fire would heat up an insulated house nicely. To make fire's inside more beneficial the heat could linger for awhile after it has gone out with the temperature slowly falling back to that of outside.

This would make the game more realistic. Heat and fire would become even more important (more like how it would be really trying to survive up north) and more calories would have to be used up trying to get firewood. You could even have some houses that are more insulated and effective at keeping in heat then others.

Anyway, like I said, I'm really enjoying the game so far, just thought this idea could improve the "realistic" part of it.

I'm not sure I can completely agree. I'm a northerner too but my experience is somewhat different. Even at extreme temps, (around -25F and below), some pretty extreme temperature swings where it can be as much as 30F warmer inside a structure.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the power of passive solar/thermal heating and the house's natural insulation. I've also been in a house for periods over a week when I've run out of liquid propane (there was a serious gas shortage in the states last year). On those occasions it wasn't that cold, (say around 10F) but my house still hovered around the freezing point (32F).

However-no matter how my experiences have borne out, you are right. It will still be brutally cold inside buildings and even worse inside ones that don't have any insulation (cough, service station cough).

I've worked outside in shirtsleeves at -25F, but that was because it was heavy work (building demolition, heh, and snow shelter building) and in the sunlight. Anything below 32F when you're inactive is nothing to sneeze at and definitely not pleasant. It would be nice to see a mechanic implemented where you could get a small movement or crafting bonus for being 'warm'.

Maybe they could just make it so that stoves make logs burn longer/use the heat more efficiently than an open flame. And it could raise the entire internal temp of the house instead of just the immediate surroundings. Because then it would be practical to sleep with a fire going for warmth? idk, just an idea.

Couple key concepts that can help you understand why structures are typically warmer indoors than outside.

Heat is energy there are 3 ways energy transmits. Conduction Convection and Radiation. Diffusion is the tendency in nature for things while in a liquid or gaseous state to move from an area of high concentration to low concentration.

Radiation is the effect you feel when you are standing next to a fire but the wood has all burned down into red coals, the heat coming off the fire when you are on the side of it is radiation.

Convection would be warm air rising, so if you had a loft warmer air would be up top, this is because as atoms in a gaseous state lose energy they are more dense and sink, those with more energy expand and because they are less dense they rise.

Conduction is energy transitioning through a material like a metal which is a good conductor of heat energy. Some materials are better than others.

Structures that are enclosed will see an increase in temperature due to all three of these effects. The outside air when warmer then inside will radiate heat inside very slowly by heating the outside structure. Then with a heated material conduction will heat the structure and the structure itself will retain heat. On a sunny day the temperature outside can rise substantially over nighttime temperatures, indoors with windows sunlight shines in heats up the medium inside through radiation, this warmer material heats the air immediately above it and convects heat off of it. Heat is also radiated off the material and if the material is a good conductor of energy it can also conduct to neighboring surfaces.

Long story short, internal structures which aren't seeing their warm air exchanged with cold outside air will remain elevated in temperature for a long time. If there is no sunlight for extended time periods then yes a structure will fall to the temperature outside but it will climb and fall more slowly than the outside air because the inside air cannot diffuse the energy accumulated or lack of energy accumulated as efficiently as the outside air because of the insulation or insulating properties of the structure and the lack of free flowing air movement.

That is why sealing airflow is so important to maintaining good energy usage in winter.

I would like to see the stove retain a bit of heat after the fire had gone out.

When I lived in a house heated by a woodstove (1200sqft house with a loft) the wood stove would heat the house to 80 deg F if we weren't careful!

Also when the fire went out, the stove would stay hot enough to burn you for a few hours. While there was quickly a reduction in the area heated, the area around the stove remained quite warm for quite a while.

Archived