What the heck is wrong with me...?

ChillPlayer

I bought this game on steam after christmas - I had 20€ left in my wallet and wanted to spent them, The Long Dark was on sale and sounded interesting, "Overwhelmingly positive" reviews did the rest. I downloaded it, launched it and was immediately hooked.

2 weeks later I have spent already >80h in the game, survived 82days in voyageur, died, made 81days stalker run, died, began a new stalker run that lasted for 45 days, died, and now I seriously want to start a new stalker run again. Why am I doing this? It's not that I don't have any other games to play, Dragon Age: Inquisition still waits for me to kill the last two dragons, my Kerbals must be really lonely without any visition from me, a racing wheel I bought only to play Assetto Corsa is just laying on the floor for almost a week now. But no, the only thing I can think of is how stupid I died the last time and how I make this run even better, maybe even shoot a video. So I find myself asking, what the heck is wrong with me?

If any of this sounds familiar to anyone, please report so I know it's the game's fault and not mine :D

I bought this game on steam after christmas - I had 20€ left in my wallet and wanted to spent them, The Long Dark was on sale and sounded interesting, "Overwhelmingly positive" reviews did the rest. I downloaded it, launched it and was immediately hooked.

2 weeks later I have spent already >80h in the game, survived 82days in voyageur, died, made 81days stalker run, died, began a new stalker run that lasted for 45 days, died, and now I seriously want to start a new stalker run again. Why am I doing this? It's not that I don't have any other games to play, Dragon Age: Inquisition still waits for me to kill the last two dragons, my Kerbals must be really lonely without any visition from me, a racing wheel I bought only to play Assetto Corsa is just laying on the floor for almost a week now. But no, the only thing I can think of is how stupid I died the last time and how I make this run even better, maybe even shoot a video. So I find myself asking, what the heck is wrong with me?

If any of this sounds familiar to anyone, please report so I know it's the game's fault and not mine :D

I had the same issue at first. It may pass. If not, play more.

Yeah I always thought the movement of the wolves on the frozen sea in CH to be quite hypnotic :D

But I did some thinking about myself and believe there is another explaination why people - or me at least - are so drawn to this game: simplicity of life. Sure it is a very deadly life but it's also very simple, all your concerns are focused on one topic only: survival. Real life is much more complex and holds much more worries for us than the occasional wolve or some blizzard in game.

The constant thread for the avatar's life on the other hand makes it very easy for us as a player to identify with it. That's why it is so easy to get hooked by it. Like a heroin addict who's only concern is the next fix to get that warm feeling back, we are constantly drawn back to our other much simpler life with only one concern: survival.

Let's hope we don't overdoze and end up in the ER :D

I reflect all the time IRL how I wish life was like it was hundreds of years ago. Every bit of work they did was just to survive and it's much more motivating than stupid meetings and paying taxes, etc. The game is not complex like Skyrim and I even think it explains the success of the shooters in general. You kill or be killed. Simple!

• 2 months later...
...But I did some thinking about myself and believe there is another explaination why people - or me at least - are so drawn to this game: simplicity of life....we are constantly drawn back to our other much simpler life with only one concern: survival.

What's the saying?...If you have lots of food you have many problems, If you have no food, you only have one.

...But I did some thinking about myself and believe there is another explaination why people - or me at least - are so drawn to this game: simplicity of life....we are constantly drawn back to our other much simpler life with only one concern: survival.

What's the saying?...If you have lots of food you have many problems, If you have no food, you only have one.

such a great quote.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the same reason I was so drawn in by DayZ. Base building came later and added what the game was missing; a home base. Course any attempt to play long term was ended by server shutdowns and/or hackers. It's also why I like games such as stranded deep and the forest. I play to escape reality.

Archived