Make sleep interruptable

ChillPlayer

It just happend again that I died in my sleep although I was @100% condition, fully fed. I wanted to get the 3 nights outside achievement so I camped on the balcony of the hut on Jackrabbit in full crafted gear. My mistake was to sleep for 11 hour at once, died on the 9th hour or so, gone were quite succesfull 45 days of stalker :(.

For some reason I thought I will get the opportunity to cancel the sleep when my condition begins to drop, as we can cancel crafting or harvesting. According to the logs I dehydrated and or froze to death. But I drank immediately before I went to sleep for my usual 11hours, here's the log:

23:04 Drank 0.47 L potable water.

23:07 Ate Venison (Cooked).

23:13 Went to sleep.

04:30 Freezing

09:45 Dehydrated

09:50 You faded into The Long Dark...

I believe that a person in 100% condition would wake up before freezing to death (I now that in low condition you should never fall asleep in cold weather) and I certainly never heard of someone healthy to die out of dehydration during sleep. So please make sleep interruptable, don't force us to spent our nights outside in hour to hour shifts :?

Just some questions about the achievement: Do I have to spent the first 3 nights of a new game outside or can I still achieve it after having spent several nights inside a house? And what does count as a night, 08:00pm until 06:00am? Can I still go inside a house during the day and leave it before the next night begins or do I have to stay 3 days and nights outside?

You can achieve it whenever you want, all you need to do is spend 3 consecutive nights outside. Not sure when "night" starts and ends though, so keep that in mind. I did 6pm to 7am to be sure. And yes, you can go inside the houses during the day. I slept during the day and spent my nights maintaining my fire while boiling water and harvesting wood to speed up the time.

Mysterly Lake seems to be the better choice for that, I'm having the hut near lonely cabin in mind. I just feel so at home on jackrabbit and wanted to spend the nights on the balcony of my cozy home, now I know better :D

Okay but back to topic: so it's not planned or even wished to have sleep interruptable? I still find this not very fair, if I forget to drink and go to sleep, I die - given the current state of the game that asks for binge sleep/eat/sleep/eat cycles to survive long times it can very easily happen, especially if sleeping through a week or more.

The current mechanics regarding this topic punish you not because you did something wrong that would kill you in RL but because you handled the game wrong. Too me this feels not true to the rest of the game, I should get punished for running around naked in blizzards or attacking three wolves at a time. But not because I forgot to click a button during a very repetitive and boring action.

I've made the achievement now, did it again on the balcony of my cozy home at Jackrabbit's but this time didn't sleep during the night or only hour by hour. The night's definitely over at 05:00am because that's the time I've got the achievement notification. I guess it starts at 8pm, when it's time to look for shelter ;)

No wolves btw and the fire got only blown out once in three nights. Fortunately the wind calmed after 4 hours and I could sustain the temperature for that time. But now I have like 40l of water in the fridge, time to get some meat :D

Archived