Kindling

terence_thyr

• Hinterland

Hey Terence -- thanks for the thought. Currently, the fire system is pretty simple -- you need a firestarter, tinder, and fuel source. Tinder is very abundant currently. Fuel, less so. So, while I can see you might want to be able to sacrifice some actual fuel (wood) to make tinder (kindling would fall into this category), it's more likely you would need to preserve your fuel.

That said, I could imagine later on in the game, when all the newspaper is gone from a given area, you might want or need to create your own Tinder. You can currently find it by Foraging for Wood, but I could see wanting to be able to create tinder from wood, using the axe.

You'd certainly feel frustrated if you had a lot of fuel, no tinder, and were freezing to death... :(

Tinder and kindling are different things. Both are needed to start a fire.

The game lacks kindling, which I am not convinced it needs, but it would be more realistic.

I think the foraging is a good system, I would like to see more tinder options though, tree bark, char cloth (could be crafted), cotton balls, to name a few.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Additional tinder options is a good idea. Cotton balls could sometimes be found in first aid kits.

• Hinterland

Rob -- Yeah I know tinder and kindling are different things, but the way the system is right now, they wouldn't be. Adding a separate kindling category would only be adding a 4th pre-requisite for fires, which would be excessive in my opinion.

Easy to add more tinder options, but I think Terence's point speaks more to the situation where you have Fuel but not Tinder -- can you make Tinder from Fuel? You can't currently, but it makes sense that you should be able to, should you need to. It'd just be one of those decisions you'd hate to have to make (but you'd rather make then freeze to death...).

Archived