Rabbit farming

chanrobi

Anyone know if there is a limit to amount of snares/amount of rabbits that can be farmed at the same time?"

I don't think there's a limit to the amount of snares you can set, but I do think there is a limit to the amount of rabbits you can catch in an area. At the location near Trapper's, I never seem to catch more than 4 rabbits per day whether I set 6 or 20 snares. It is possible that each rabbit area has it's own limit to how many you can catch per day.

It's a very unhealthy diet! Just be aware of he risks and don't overdo it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

While this is true IRL, TLD does not simulate this ATM.

Anyone know if this affects the Pacifist achievement?

You mean setting snares? Yes it affects the pacifist achievement. You can't be the cause of the death of any animal. Even chasing a deer to a wolf will count, despite the fact the wolf does the actual killing.

Anyone know if this affects the Pacifist achievement?

You mean setting snares? Yes it affects the pacifist achievement. You can't be the cause of the death of any animal. Even chasing a deer to a wolf will count, despite the fact the wolf does the actual killing.

What, really? I find this difficult to believe, are you sure about that?

For this to be true the game would need to check the trigger causing the fleeing routine at the moment of the deer's death. The trigger could (should?) change from you to the wolf that made the kill anyway. Plus, the trigger doesn't necessarily have to be the player's character or another wolf, it could just as well be a sound, a rifle shot. And I refuse to believe that in a game so early in development the developers went through all this logical troubles (player fired a rifle at a rabbit -> deer in a hearing distance was startled and ran away -> wolf attack it -> player is responsible!) ... just for an achievement? :)

I suspect it has more to do with eating the deer (once the wolf is done) and not the actual death of the deer. Otherwise the achievement would be virtually impossible, and you'd have no way of knowing whether or not you had achieved it until the final day came and you either got it or not.

I suspect it has more to do with eating the deer (once the wolf is done) and not the actual death of the deer. Otherwise the achievement would be virtually impossible, and you'd have no way of knowing whether or not you had achieved it until the final day came and you either got it or not.

You mean that there could be a timer that checks the amount of time passed since the deer's death and if it's past certain threshold you cannot get the achievement? I don't see how this could work either. Another deer may distract the wolf from its fresh meal and you would lose the achievement for eating from it.

Can anyone confirm that anything than wrestling wolves, using snares or shooting animals breaks the pacifist?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and fishing...

No, eating meat has nothing to do with the achievement. You can also harvest the deer carcasses that are already there at the start of the game for sure and probably those killed by wolves without you scaring the deer into wolves too. Maybe you can even scare a wolf away from it's kill by using a flare.

I know for sure you can't use the rifle, snares or fishing if you want to get the achievement. I've heard chasing a deer into a wolf (whether by accident or on purpose) will also forfeit the achievement, but I'm not sure of that. I don't think it's very hard for the game to track what scared a deer, so this is certainly a possibility.

I just got the achievement and I can confirm that the following actions will not forfeit it:

• cooking and eating meat and fish found in fridges/freezers/ovens
  • scavenging, cooking and eating meat from wolves' kills
  • chasing deer and rabbits into wolves
  • scaring away said wolves from the carcass using flares and fires
  • annoying said wolves and then run to lure them away and get the carcass
  • fighting with a wolf that's trying to eat your face, if the struggle doesn't end with the wolf dying

In my last run I did all of the above, and all on purpose aside from the fight that wasn't planned. Luckily that wolf didn't die, and at the 25th day I got the achievement anyway.

That's good to know. Thanks for posting that info. What difficulty where you playing? I don't think it makes a difference, but would be nice to know for sure.

But how on earth do you annoy a wolf that's eating it's kill without it catching you? I've never managed to do this, they always get me.

You are welcome. I'm playing on voyager at the moment. I've started a run to get pacifist and silent hunter, that would have been boring on pilgrim, but a bit too much on stalker I guess. :P

Here's how I mess with wolves:

[spoil]Annoying them can be a bit tricky, but can be done. You should approach the wolf from behind while he's eating and cover the last meters slowly, step by step (no running). As soon as the wolf raises his head and looks around you can either take one step forward or one step to the side, and he will turn around growling. If he doesn't jump on your face as soon as he sees you, you can start running backwards and when you put some distance between you and mr.Fangs you can turn around and get easily away.

It is a bit difficult because sometimes the wolf will jump on you and sometimes there's another wolf around and you should be aware of the location and direction of both of them or you risk running into the second one while you flee backwards from the first one.[/spoil]

You are welcome. I'm playing on voyager at the moment. I've started a run to get pacifist and silent hunter, that would have been boring on pilgrim, but a bit too much on stalker I guess. :P

I was hoping you were playing on stalker. But I don't think it would really matter (ie chasing a deer into a wolf on stalker loosing you the achievement).

[spoil]Annoying them can be a bit tricky, but can be done. You should approach the wolf from behind while he's eating and cover the last meters slowly, step by step (no running). As soon as the wolf raises his head and looks around you can either take one step forward or one step to the side, and he will turn around growling. If he doesn't jump on your face as soon as he sees you, you can start running backwards and when you put some distance between you and mr.Fangs you can turn around and get easily away.

It is a bit difficult because sometimes the wolf will jump on you and sometimes there's another wolf around and you should be aware of the location and direction of both of them or you risk running into the second one while you flee backwards from the first one.[/spoil]

Thanks! Will try it after I die (don't want to spoil my current very long run).

[spoil]Running away backwards after annoying a wolf and running into another wolf... Now that would be a face-palm moment! :)[/spoil]

I was hoping you were playing on stalker. But I don't think it would really matter (ie chasing a deer into a wolf on stalker loosing you the achievement).

I'm sure it doesn't matter, AFAIK the achievements are the same for all the difficulties.

Thanks! Will try it after I die (don't want to spoil my current very long run).

If you happen to be in a situation where you need to scare a wolf away from a carcass but you don't have a gun/a flare/something to start a fire then you could try in your current run. If you don't need some more wolf pelts, of course. :)

[spoil]Running away backwards after annoying a wolf and running into another wolf... Now that would be a face-palm moment! :)[/spoil]

Been there, done that. I was running and I heard barking behind me... luckily I was able to escape but after that I learned to check my surroundings before attempting something like that. :P

A lot of times they will die hours later. Does that destroy the achievement?

Well the achievement says "Survive 25 days without killing anything" so I guess that a wolf who dies by bleeding out would still count as a kill and void it. I can't confirm tho because while I was trying to get it I avoided arguments with wolves and the only one that happened by mistake ended with the wolf surviving the fight (I wasn't able to find any carcass around).

Since sometimes a fight will end with a wolf dead on the spot it's safer to avoid them completely for the first 25 days if you want to reach the achievement.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived