Development information

jakku

Hello,

We all already have The Long Dark early access and now we all live in silence of future updates and development. Maby I miss something ? I think we all be happy if we get every week some news of what is done and what to expect in future updates. It could be on friday or another comfortable day by team. Any suggestions ?

I appreciate what is done and I hope we will get much more in future updates.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far we have gotten an update every month towards the end of the month with the exception of December, that update was a bit early, presumably because of the break the devs took for the holidays.

I expect the next update will be somewhere between 20 and 30 January.

So far we have gotten an update every month towards the end of the month with the exception of December, that update was a bit early, presumably because of the break the devs took for the holidays.

I expect the next update will be somewhere between 20 and 30 January.

Maby I'm impatient, but waiting for month in near silence is too much for me 8-) :lol: I'm sorry if I miss devs holidays, but like I said it's should be great get some weekly news. Then we can discuss more about future updates and take speculations :P

I wouldn't mind a weekly progress update (as in a post detailing what they've done that week and what they will be working on etc), but that does take time away from someone on the team that could have been spend working on the next update. Given the amount of fixes and new content we get every month, I think they're all pretty busy working on it.

Yes they are. But some to do list could be fun! Something like that:

Phase 1: Next update v.184

Add bears done

Fix stuck wolfs working

Add Bow

Phase 2: Next update

Add Binoculars

Wolf rework

New Map

I think it will work very well, because it's alpha + all already have early access. Don't need put on list all bugs and fixes, just some important visual bugs and new stuff. More excitement, more hype, more people, more found bugs and better support for developers.

Yes they are. But some to do list could be fun! Don't need put on list all bugs and fixes, just some important visual bugs and new stuff. More excitement, more hype, more people, more found bugs and better support for developers.

Fun and a waste of the devs time - plus just because something is being worked on, doesn't mean that it's automatically going to be available. They also do pre-testing of versions to make sure as many of the major bugs are taken care of. They often add some last minute items, as well as (when necessary) pull out other items if there were testing issues.

For bug fixes, you can see what they've been working on in the forum bug report area (ticketed items will have an ID number added) as well as looking in the most recent "Fixed" posting section.

They'll often give short notices when they're planning through their Facebook or Twitter feeds, or through Steam or the Forum - but no they aren't going to give exact details until things are ready or near ready. The way you have your example list is not how the process is done - the devs look at the bigger changes for determining what tasks are needed (and if you look at each major update changelog, you will see it's not a short list).

I know you're excited and want all the info every week, but that's not likely to happen. It's like waiting to open a birthday or Xmas present... You have to wait until it's time - then you can open it.

Hi all, I think there is a compromise here...

The job section for hinterland has a community manager post.

So this postholder would be the logical source of information intra update for the community.

This would not impact on dev time.

Even without a community manager, a blogpowt every week with quicknotes about the ongoing developement would be good. They Twitter a lot.

We spent money on a product, so a bit better stream of information towards the community would be reasonable. We're same people that give feedback an report bugs finally!

A one-sided relationship one has to admit.

Even without a community manager, a blogpowt every week with quicknotes about the ongoing developement would be good. They Twitter a lot.

We spent money on a product, so a bit better stream of information towards the community would be reasonable. We're same people that give feedback an report bugs finally!

A one-sided relationship one has to admit.

+1 what I'm talking about.

But if the devs are so active on twitter, how is it still a one sided relationship with only us giving them feedback?

Mate, let's say you meet with that girl a few times who you like a lot. You are happy and cheerfully thinking about the probable next month' with her. :

You try get further, you want to find out what kind of person she is, you tease her and basically want to make her yours. You are more or less open but with a serious interest.

She talks about shoes, that other girl, who was a slut lookalike and either tries to avoid another level with you or is just dumb and does not grasp youz intention.

That's where we are now.

So the evening goes on, she still talks about random stuff you don't mind, furthermore you remark she is not the person for live and even more enerves you so much that you dont wanna pin her down.

But if the devs are so active on twitter, how is it still a one sided relationship with only us giving them feedback?

Mate, let's say you meet with that girl a few times who you like a lot. You are happy and cheerfully thinking about the probable next month' with her. :

You try get further, you want to find out what kind of person she is, you tease her and basically want to make her yours. You are more or less open but with a serious interest.

She talks about shoes, that other girl, who was a slut lookalike and either tries to avoid another level with you or is just dumb and does not grasp youz intention.

That's where we are now.

So the evening goes on, she still talks about random stuff you don't mind, furthermore you remark she is not the person for live and even more enerves you so much that you dont wanna pin her down.

Haha yes that's the feeling i have too!

Every twitter update, i think "Y U NO show some love to the forum and nearly-completely forget it? :("

Every twitter update, i think "Y U NO show some love to the forum and nearly-completely forget it? :("

The devs are very active (if you watch the bug section, you'll see how many are being ticket tagged for fixing, as well as a huge number being shifted to the Fixed area [as repaired in the next update].

As well, with the holiday season last month, they're focussing very heavily on the next update (which is going to be a big one), so they're relying on all of us to carry on with the forum [which they do read between tasks], and they're simply trying to avoid too many distractions so they can put full effort into the new material coming our way ;)

Don't worry - they haven't forgotten us... they're just trying to get something very complex ready 8-)

I'm trying still to figure out who in your analogy pikkue are the devs and who are we - both not very flattering positions to be in :D

Honestly, I prefere devs who work more and talk less. This way we have christmas roughly every month when another update arrives. Besides what do you gain from getting the info early "the devs are working on feature xyz", if you don't know when it's going to be released? Look at blizzard and the D3 desaster that is going on for years now. They do a lot of informing in the sorts of "will be fixed, are working on it, is coming soon..." but because their understanding of "soon" does not correspond with the gamer's, every announcement drags a shit storm after shit storm and when the feature is finally released, the next shit storm is a guaranteed fact.

This way people have to actually first try out a new feature or how a bug was solved before their "very informed" minds can form an oppinion and the devs have to deal with only one shitstorm AFTER the release.

I think it was ArenaNet who answered when fans wouldn't stop asking about when Guild Wars 2 will be released: It's ready when it's ready. And that's about the best answer you can hope for from a dev. Not when an arbitrary deadline arrives but when it's ready.

I'm also not a big fan of teasers like the last announcement of a new map and wildlife with the next update, because it really hinders my game. After the last stalker run I asked myself if I really want to start another run yet when I know that soon new amazing stuff will be added (of course I began a new run, there are still some weeks to fill :D).

On a last note, it really isn't the case that the devs used to idle around and bring only a minor update every 2 years. So be patient, enjoy the game and look forward to the next update soon ;)

I'm trying still to figure out who in your analogy pikkue are the devs and who are we - both not very flattering positions to be in :D

Honestly, I prefere devs who work more and talk less. This way we have christmas roughly every month when another update arrives. Besides what do you gain from getting the info early "the devs are working on feature xyz", if you don't know when it's going to be released? Look at blizzard and the D3 desaster that is going on for years now. They do a lot of informing in the sorts of "will be fixed, are working on it, is coming soon..." but because their understanding of "soon" does not correspond with the gamer's, every announcement drags a shit storm after shit storm and when the feature is finally released, the next shit storm is a guaranteed fact.

This way people have to actually first try out a new feature or how a bug was solved before their "very informed" minds can form an oppinion and the devs have to deal with only one shitstorm AFTER the release.

I think it was ArenaNet who answered when fans wouldn't stop asking about when Guild Wars 2 will be released: It's ready when it's ready. And that's about the best answer you can hope for from a dev. Not when an arbitrary deadline arrives but when it's ready.

I'm also not a big fan of teasers like the last announcement of a new map and wildlife with the next update, because it really hinders my game. After the last stalker run I asked myself if I really want to start another run yet when I know that soon new amazing stuff will be added (of course I began a new run, there are still some weeks to fill :D).

On a last note, it really isn't the case that the devs used to idle around and bring only a minor update every 2 years. So be patient, enjoy the game and look forward to the next update soon ;)

Tight answer +1

It's not that there are shitstorms around all the time, not at all ;)

They are very helpful and so on, but it really seems they dont give a damn about the ppl who give a very good, qualitative feedback, with arguments and support them financially, their supporters. It feels like it's us and them, instead of a synthesis.

I doubt this is somewhat a target of the team. I dont demand an inside wip-report whenever someone cries out for it. But indisputably they could do more, even if it's just a blogpost every week.

+ @BILL

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the work you do in sense of providing some information from time to time and talking about the ongoing progress. But it's not that we live next door aswell so as said, it's that strong feeling of a barricade ;)

Archived