Give us binoculars

themole4

The rifle we have is some old-ass crap, it doesn't even have rails that are needed to mount scope. This doesn't look like a modern rifle.

In that case, we should be able to scavenge rolls of duct tape, too.

If you are thinking of taping a scope to a rifle, let me stop you right there. The whole point of rails on a rifle is allow the user to mount a scope on a secure, level surface that will not shift when firing the rifle. Tape would shift every time you fire, and you wouldn't be able to calibrate it like you could with rails.

As it stands, you could mount a scope on the Lee-enfield no4, however you need to modify the furniture on the top section covering the barrel, and that may have far reaching repercussions. Besides, over the typical distances in ML and CH, ironsights is enough, however with the addition of the Pleasant valley, Scoped rifles may be needed.

And wynarator, you aren't going to stumble upon a Barrett MRAD in northern Canada, The Lee-enfield is a reliable piece of kit that will go on working long after the apocalypse, provided it is cared for. Old design does not necessarily equate inferior weapon.

+1

Yeah, would like to have them, too ... just to watch the beautiful landscape! But sometimes it could be useful, too. for example: there's some black dot on mystery-lake ... is it the body of a dead wolf or deer or is it just a rock? I think binoculars would be really fun ... also when exploring areas and looking around ... what's that behind ... a bear?

+1 for binoculars

They totally fit the theme. They would make lookouts even more interesting. In terms of gameplay, they should enable you to identify things in the far distance, so you can decide whether or not it is worth travelling there. Maybe you can spot a bunker by chance! As the game is now (build v200), you can see quite far without binoculars, so maybe that could be tuned down to make binoculars more valuable. Binoculars are coming, I can feel it... and they should be quite rare...

• 4 months later...

Not really seeing any benefit to binoculars . not enough areas on the map to use them. maybe scope for the rifle but its an old rifle that I barely use as I find the bow a better option as I can retrieve my arrows assuming they didn't break.

+1 for binos and/or +1 for a scope. That said, I think there should be an action of mounting the scope to the rifle (take 5 mins or so). So it is not a perma condition. I know we should have to zero in a scope, but lets just leave that off for the ease of all involved. So a player could choose to haul around a 2 lbs scope, add +2 lbs to the rifle or just carry a rifle. So times I might not need to scope mounted (like when I am just scouting around). Also, just because you can see it, does not mean you can land a shot. Longer shots would need to bring in bullet drop and windage. So longer shots are doable but would take more skill to achieve.

+1 for binos and/or +1 for a scope. That said, I think there should be an action of mounting the scope to the rifle (take 5 mins or so). So it is not a perma condition. I know we should have to zero in a scope, but lets just leave that off for the ease of all involved. So a player could choose to haul around a 2 lbs scope, add +2 lbs to the rifle or just carry a rifle. So times I might not need to scope mounted (like when I am just scouting around). Also, just because you can see it, does not mean you can land a shot. Longer shots would need to bring in bullet drop and windage. So longer shots are doable but would take more skill to achieve.

Raphael has said he wanted to increase the complexity of the ballistics, but the gun is not an integral part of the game, so they aren't paying much attention to it. I do hope, however, that with the addition of a bow, ballistics will get more of a look in.

Not really seeing any benefit to binoculars . not enough areas on the map to use them. maybe scope for the rifle but its an old rifle that I barely use as I find the bow a better option as I can retrieve my arrows assuming they didn't break.

It depends what you consider a benefit. I think they'd not be that hard to implement, they'd be a plausible find in any cabin, a good salvage item, and add a small ability in trade for a weight cost in your backpack. Certainly not a life or death item, but an interesting addition that I think the game would benefit from.

As a first time player I like to use my own landmarks for navigation and binoculars would improve that vastly. Also everytime I see a rock thinking it's a piece of wood. Or when looking for houses across a lake or distance.

Considering the fact that they want more maps, binoculars are a handy exploration item I think we could use. Veterans won't need it, so then could be used for scrap.

I vote yes, please.

Archived