Give us binoculars

themole4

Lots of nice things have been added lately (i.e. warming, warmable food items).

But we want binoculars.

I'm a lousy player, so mayber they're already there and I dind't find them yet.

But if this isn't the case...

We Want Binoculars.

They shouldn't be hard to implement.

I just emulated a game of Midwinter (1989) and it had variable zoom for the sniper rifle.

Binoculars make sense and aren't overly hard to implement (I guess).

OT: I hope that Midiwnter will be remade soon.

I'm playing at... at what once was called "science fiction" and now it's "low res", 1280x1024. I want to tell if that brown spot out there is a rock outcropping or a hut, especially if it is snowing. I want to see farther. Am I asking for too much?

It just makes sense, if you were lost in the Canadian Wilderness IRL you'd want a set of binoculars too. And I think they aren't difficult to implement in a game (just put a raster overlay and tweak the camera settings).

And a scope for the rifle? Let's just say I'd quite like that.

A scope would be ideal. Can be used by itself as a monocular, attached to the rifle (which I don't think we need), or harvested for the 2 lenses and scrap metal which could be used for either starting a fire with the sun or crafting.

I don't feel the rifle needs a scope though it wouldn't be uncommon for a rifle found in the forest to actually have an 8x or similar scope on it.

The rifle we have is some old-ass crap, it doesn't even have rails that are needed to mount scope. This doesn't look like a modern rifle.

But binocs? Totally! Playing DayZ it was my favourite find, really adds to the "survival" feeling, scouting terrain before movement, looking for points of interest and so on.

+1

I wonder if a small hack, maybe just some kind of macro, could achieve this. There is a settings for FOV in the menu, isn't it? If the value could be modified on runtime then a simple zoom-in mechanics could be achieved quite easily.

A few games i know incorporate the small "FOV boost" as a feature, namely Arma series, DayZ or Mount & Blade.

• 3 weeks later...

I think binoculars would serve no use in the game at all.

I think binoculars are a great idea however, simply because every single cottage I've ever been to has a set of binoculars....there would definitely be some there.

I think adding 'red herrings' in this game is a neat idea too. Have things that the player would really want to have, but simply weigh too much to carry around logically. i.e. binoculars, a portable stove (heavy damage from a wolf attack - it's pretty hard to fight a wolf with a knife in one hand and a 5 KG portable heater in the other haha), harmonica? 0.5 kg's?, tent 10 kg's, magnifying glass for lighting fires on a sunny day - 0.25 kg's?, etc....

I think they would be a great addition, and certainly would not seem out of place if found. It would be another thing for the player to consider the benefits (utility, safety?) versus the drawbacks (extra weight). I also really like the idea of harvesting them for the lenses to use for fire starting.

Archived