"Clone" cabins & interior damage

LDbubba

This is just a general observation about the TLD world and what exists there now...

Too many of the cabins are complete clones of each other, down to the last detail. Certainly, there would be uniformity in general design, but the interiors would be decorated differently and the furniture would vary. The same goes for the partially-burned buildings that have a stove in them. There are not enough buildings in the game for this to be a significant issue to address.

The story (as it is) seems to suggest that you, along with everyone else, fell victim to a common event. With this in mind, you'd be finding things in fairly pristine states, although it's not clear why everyone but you died when there are more than enough resources to support a decent number of "survivors". If the "event" incapacitated/killed them, then that's all the more reason that things would look very "normal", but be empty.

Also, although it may be revealed in the story, why would every bathroom vanity mirror and TV set be broken? There seems to be an implication of abandonment and age (broken hinges, etc), but it does not fit with the story and with what you find already in the game (frozen bodies, presumably the original occupants).

Just a little narrative disconnect you get when you have artists forging ahead with ideas that don't really mesh with the story. ;)

Too many of the cabins are complete clones of each other, down to the last detail. Certainly, there would be uniformity in general design, but the interiors would be decorated differently and the furniture would vary. The same goes for the partially-burned buildings that have a stove in them. There are not enough buildings in the game for this to be a significant issue to address.

The duplicate cabin usage is for programming and bandwidth purposes. It allows reuse of meshes throughout all the map areas as needed (don't forget there will be many more maps) without having to physically design, place, and debug every location.

This also cuts down on programming time & costs in order to make the game manageable.

The story (as it is) seems to suggest that you, along with everyone else, fell victim to a common event. With this in mind, you'd be finding things in fairly pristine states, although it's not clear why everyone but you died when there are more than enough resources to support a decent number of "survivors". If the "event" incapacitated/killed them, then that's all the more reason that things would look very "normal", but be empty.

The sandbox mode is intended for solo adventuring, and to learn the mechanics. It does not need NPC interaction, and is not meant to represent the full story effects.

In story mode, there will be NPC interaction, and that's when the gameplay involves discovery of the cause and effects of the event.

Don't get me wrong I understand the need for simplicity when it comes to programming and the amount of meshes. But it is something that makes things a little tedious and a different element to each house( doesn't have to be much) would make a difference to the experience. That this isn't a first priority I can also understand but I hope we get to see some more variety gradually.

Personally I would love some variety in the corpses though I have to say they do make good use of Dead Guy right now and the poses are really versatile.

Archived