"Forage/Gather" UI not clear, and conceptually odd...

LDbubba

The tab system in the "Forage/Gather" UI is not clear enough for the beginning player with respect to Reclaimed Wood.

I missed this option for about the first hour of gameplay since it's very subtle. It would be far better to present both options as icons in the same window, and ditch the tabbed interface.

Tabs are for Excel, not games! ;)

Overall, there's a significant disconnect between the two concepts of "finding and collecting" resources in the environment, and simply "gathering" invisible/globally-available resources, with no risk/exposure to the environment.

I feel that the "Forage/Gather" concept is a kludge and really should be removed and replaced with in-environment options, to maintain the immersion of the gameplay.

For gathering, I would think that finding a fallen tree would be a logical location to find tinder and wood that is realistically available to gather with bare hands, even if it's not practical for the world model to reflect usage. (a large fallen tree would supply a very significant amount of "hand-gatherable" wood/tinder)

Well I strongly disagree with your judgement about the UI, but I do agree that finding/gathering/swinging the hatchet yourself would increase immersion and would mean you've gotta spend more time outside.

Negative aspect is, that foraging would by hand would take much much longer in realtime.

...but I do agree that finding/gathering/swinging the hatchet yourself would increase immersion and would mean you've gotta spend more time outside. Negative aspect is, that foraging would by hand would take much much longer in realtime.

I see it more like harvesting a deer carcass...

You find and walk up to a fallen tree, and you get a choice to "harvest" the tinder and firewood, with the requisite amount of time required. At least it requires you to:

- find an appropriate tree

- expose yourself to the elements and local fauna

Cold brittle environment too so there should be plenty of broken dead limbs lying about everywhere in the forest to collect in addition to harvesting fallen trees.

It would be nice to collect them yourself and it would be "something to do" as well.

Cold brittle environment too so there should be plenty of broken dead limbs lying about everywhere in the forest to collect in addition to harvesting fallen trees.

It would be nice to collect them yourself and it would be "something to do" as well.

Exactly, the game needs more "stuff to do" to enrich the experience. Currently, too many things are done by "magic" or instancing.

As far as "gathering", it's currently pointless since I was nearly dead at night and I simply lit a fire in a potbelly stove and "gathered" enough wood to keep the fire going, while standing beside the stove (one bunch, then two, and repeat), never setting foot outside. At Forestry Outlook it becomes completely ridiculous since there are no nearby trees, and it takes the same amount of time as anywhere else!)

+1 for that suggestion of having to use foraging on actual trees.

Also of course, it should not use the temperature in your nearest vicinity when starting to forage, but the temperature of your mid-ranged surroundings. Currently when it is -30°C with -30°C windchill, i just find a wind protected spot behind my castle (jackrabbits island)

Its just silly to stay outside at -30°C with the same amount of windchill, find a spot where there is less wind -- like just outside my castle or milk and honey (aka jackrabbits island), and then just keep foraging while sitting right next to the fire. For the achievement for staying 3 nights out in a row, i just never left the place on my fire, which convienently also kept the wolves away.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived