The prevalence of Nederlanders

EternityTide

One of the things I have noticed on this forum is that there is a high prevalence of Dutch people active on the forums.

Canadians I can understand, the game is based and being developed in Canada.

Americans, again, I can understand, being neighbors with Canada.

we have a slim scattering of British, Serbian, Turkish, Swedish, German and Russian players (and a few others)

but one thing I have noticed is how many Dutch there are. I've counted 5 or 6 of them active so far on one or two forums, I have no idea how many are on other forums, but I assume there are more.

So the question is, how many of you guys are there?

(I am of Dutch nationality, so technically I could classed as a Dutchman, despite being born and raised in the UK).

Well if you're 1, that makes me 2 :)

miandelam just started a thread on the dutch sub forum asking if there are any more Dutch people here so keep an eye on that thread to see who responds.

I guess since we live in such a flat country this mountainous setting just appeals to us. I've been to Canada once (southern part) and would love to go there again sometime. It's a very beautiful country.

I live in Wales, and so, for some reason, we get a lot of Dutch visitors. despite being horribly cold, wet and muddy, Wales seems to be a popular holiday destination for the Netherlands. Could be the mountains, as you say.

I'll try the Dutch subforum, but my Dutch is horrific (I was brought up in the UK, as I said previously, so English is my first language, then I had Welsh foisted upon me by the local schooling system, and now only recently I've been learning Dutch)

I found the game though a youtuber, StacyPlays, so for me it doesn't really have anything to do with my nationality

And to be honest, the Dutch love to complain about our bad weather (me included lol), but if we're honest I think everyone can agree that we wouldn't feel at home without it :)

Maybe that's what appeals us about TLD, the weather is much worse in the game! :D

I don't really mind the Dutch weather too much, just dress appropriately... But yeah I do like to bitch about it :P But that's our right being Dutch and all. We have a reputation to maintain.

I don't know whether our prevalence here is really that high, or significantly so, but if so:

The Netherlands are small, flat and crowded. There are no great woodlands and such to speak of and you can't really get away from the sound of traffic during the day nor from the light of towns during the night. Still we build more, because even as native numbers dwindle, the population is ever growing. That is why many of us often seek out more natural and rugged environments abroad.

And so it may be that we are more attracted than most to games set in the Great Outdoors, be they about survival or not.

Lastly, I think we have have a strong internet presence in general, relative to our numbers, so we are bound to be noticed.

Alternative answer: Van Lierop lured us in here with his Dutch surname!

For me it definitely has something to do with the flatness versus mountains and the number of people cramped into one little tiny country. In holidays and videogames :)

What Edrick says about internet presence also seems to be very true.

We're like Australians in backpacker hostels. You just can't have the internet without a Dutchie present it seems. That why I thought it was strange there was no one on the Dutch part of the forum.

Archived