Gun not rare enough anymore

pikkue

Hi,

I found this

lefthttp://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/41987769025102615/4D00DC04173040CB7747FEDFF91FE6576EA6DED2/

and had to agree immediately.

There are so many spawns and guns in the current version, it's not that you really feel lucky when you find one.

The spawnpoints are all good (despite the one behind camp office), but it feels like there are too many guns themselves. It's not unusual that I find 2-3 guns in one game.

In my eyes, a gun should be a lucky event. Aswell it's not necessary to survive, really helpfull tho ofcourse.

What you think?

Ahh No, I can't get away from this picture!

( sorry)

Idea:

I do agree that as someone who has started up a new game more than once( in my case ridiculously often) it's very easy to find multiple guns because I know pretty much where everything spawns, including the guns. However for a new player it's still pretty hard even with the extra guns.

Is it possible to let the game know how often you have started a new game ( and found a gun) and gradually make it so there are less spawn points for the gun after a while? Maybe the same for hatchets and knives. I had quite the collection during my last run of 95 days in voyager.

I don't think the guns are easy to find, I survived for 2 weeks without finding one but I do only play on stalker diff where everything is pretty scarce. I've never found one on coastal highway, in fact I have only ever found it twice and that is after 8 new games.

Well, try some more games. Gotta admit, played Coastal once or twice, but I dont find it appealing so I only play Mystery.

Once you are familiar with the spawns, the game becomes very easy. Most of all that camp office spawn pretty unnecessary.

One could argue "Everything becomes easier when you know where to search",

but this game relies on "replayability" (No native), so it must be a target of the devs to make the game as replayable as possible, and this presents a problem of course which needs to be solluted.

I didn't really feel that way the first time I found the rifle, though I suppose that's because there was one in the very first building I walked into (happened to be trapper's cabin) in my first game ever. Of course in the next game, I had to fight Fluffy to get a gun, since the only spawn was in the dam.

When you say you only play mystery lake you do know you can travel to coastal right? If not then you get there via the ravine, I generally start in coastal to build my supplies then head to mystery coz I find it tougher to survive there.

Really?

Mostly play on Stalker, and I've never found one, on either Lake or Highway maps, even ammunition is very scarce...

I'm guessing most people don't play on Stalker, and don't realize that it's "lucky" to find any two basic items in a cabin!

I only play on Stalker, and so far (on 2-3 long runs where I survived past the first few days) I haven't found less than 40 rounds of ammo between the two maps, and at least one (and sometimes 2-3) guns.

Places I typically find ammo:

- hydro dam (typically 10-15 rounds here alone)

- next to corpses (especially the one on the south side of JackRabbit Island, right next to the thin ice)

- two lookouts

- fishing shacks, either a single round on the floor between the two cabinets, or a box on the far side of the single cabinet, or on one of the shelves (have to look up)

- Trapper's Homestead, of course

- on the north side of the train derailment, on the ground

Note that on Stalker mode, there is a decent amount of loot, but it typically isn't found in containers or drawers - instead, it is found on the ground, next to corpses, or under shelves (most of the hydro dam ammo is scattered around). You have to look hard, crouch down, look under stuff. I once found a box of ammo in the abandoned lookout under the overturned chair.

I started playing on Pilgrim and didn't find a rifle until my third game. I only find a rifle every two or three games, but I'm pretty new (only 7 hours) and I haven't memorized spawn locations yet. I do find a hell of a lot of ammo though.

Really?

Mostly play on Stalker, and I've never found one, on either Lake or Highway maps, even ammunition is very scarce...

I'm guessing most people don't play on Stalker, and don't realize that it's "lucky" to find any two basic items in a cabin!

Might be, I dont play on stalker myself, so I can't comment on that.

I dont consider a gun a basic item, it's nice to have but not something one totally requires to survive in tld, like the knife.

So this could be an issue with the mid-difficulty mode.

I think it's definitely more an issue on voyager but on the longer games I've done in stalker I also end up with two or three guns. Currently started a game in stalker again and it hasn't been two weeks and I found two rifles. I haven't even been near the dam yet I think I covered half of Mystery lake so far. Coastal map untouched. I'll just repeat I've played a lot lot lot so yes that changes things.

Not to give too much away, but on Stalker, I've only found -one- gun, and as far as I can tell, that one gun spawns consistently in only one of two places. (the third possible location might be a random seed, but it's a bugger to find... 'nuff said ;) )

I'd recommend Stalker for all those who haven't tried it, since the loot drops are -far- more scarce, and if anything, that's the more significant challenge. The wolves can be annoying, but once you figure out the wonky fighting method, they are not too much of a hassle (and a food source!)

I have experienced that gun drops are way too common now as well. Instead of just checking in the dam and the trappers homestead, i find additional ones at the dead guy just behind the camp office (leave the camp office, go immediatly left in direction of the cave, look for the corpse), in the derailment, in a fishing hut between jackrabbit island and misanthrope's homestead, in the upper floor of a costal house left side of a cupboard leaning against a wall, just below a bridge (i believe the first one after entering coastal highway, next to a corpse, which additionally has rounds), .... its a bit ridiculous. :)

Also persionally i would enjoy the experience more, having all drops lowered to about 20-30% of what there is currently to find in stalker mode. Oh and... having a LOT faster wolves. Its just too odd, that they have no problems catching up to deers, but never catch up to the player, unless you are encumbered.

Finding a rifle has never been a problem for me... however finding ammo has always been a different story, I think the most Ive ever found in a single game was 16 rounds, but that was the exception and not the rule, most games its maybe 8 rounds at the coastal highway, Mystery lake seemed to be a crap shoot, but that is the nature of the loot tables at the moment, when it rains it pours.

Some of it can be helped if they up the ammo spawn rate, but if they add more than one type of firearm, just for the joy of finding 2 or 3 rifles and box after box of 38 revolver ammo :lol:

Well, try some more games. Gotta admit, played Coastal once or twice, but I dont find it appealing so I only play Mystery.

Once you are familiar with the spawns, the game becomes very easy. Most of all that camp office spawn pretty unnecessary.

One could argue "Everything becomes easier when you know where to search",

but this game relies on "replayability" (No native), so it must be a target of the devs to make the game as replayable as possible, and this presents a problem of course which needs to be solluted.

I agree with EVERYTHING you say here!

Not to give too much away, but on Stalker, I've only found -one- gun, and as far as I can tell, that one gun spawns consistently in only one of two places. (the third possible location might be a random seed, but it's a bugger to find... 'nuff said ;) )

Firstly, people should be a little more circumspect about posting obvious spoilers to where things are! ;) Hints and suggestions are fine, but just don't spell it out! (does this forum have a spoiler tag?)

That being said, the loot drops are obviously random with each new session, some sessions appear to have more guns than others (found three(!) in the latest session, where only one was in the same three spots). Maybe there are a fixed number of gun spawn locations and they seed-in three (or more) in a random fashion, or maybe the number of guns is always the same, but you need to look in all potential locations.

For those that haven't found one, the gun is not the end of wolf attacks, it's basically useless if you are surprised (Fluffy!).

Stalker mode definitely has lots of loot - just not a lot of clothing or canned/prepared food.

For instance, this is my current Stalker game, on day 50:

httknives.png

I've got a total of eight hunting knives - seven there on the ground, and one still stuck into the bench which I haven't touched.

As I've mentioned before, I picked up most of these next to corpses, although I found the first one in the hunting blind next to the unnamed pond in the first ten minutes of the game.

I've played at least 4 Stalker games out past 20-30 days, and I've not had less than 30 bullets in each game. You need to look hard for bullets, they are not typically in containers, but instead are scattered all over the place.

Just to show how silly this gets sometimes, here's my current Stalker game, day 21. I've got 51 rounds total (and 3 guns), and I haven't been careful about using them to this point (I've shot 10-12 rounds already).

ammo.png

I also haven't completely explored Mystery Lake (started in Coastal Highway this time for a change). I have explored and looted all the ammo from Trappers, the Dam, the Lookout, the Camp Office, both hunting stands, and the bunker (which in this run is bunker F, the wood bunker - completely useless, except it had a single box of 5 rounds on a shelf, and a bit of first aid). I haven't looked in any of the four fishing shacks on the lake, nor any of the lakeside cabins.

I think this is the most amount of ammo I've ever had in a single run, but its not the first time I've found more than 50 rounds.

As a new player, it was handy to know that there were fixed spawns and at least one guaranteed gun per map. I would like to see the number of possible spawns triple at least while the number of spawns gets capped at two per map (less? two per game would be fine too).

More spawn points increases the chance and prevents all of us from just running a route to get a gun early. Maybe some of the more hardcore players can self-limit themselves...but...most of us are weak :roll: and more randomization would prevent our more base tendencies.

I think it's very random. I already had 3 guns before, but now I only have one and almost explored everything. One common location there still might have one, which I haven't checked yet.

For me, it's okay if I at least find one gun, even if it would be at the last place I searched, except the bunker.

But of course it's okay also to find 3 guns occasionally, but maybe then you would have to find knives and hatches not so often. I don't know, really. Maybe I prefer that it's seemingly totally random now and you can be totally lucky on one or all items or very very unlucky on antother or all of them. For example I only found 2 sewing kits and only one simple repair tool yet... and maybe only 4 to 5 huts and one viewtower to loot left....

For me, I like it, if the amount of tools is totally random like it seems it is now...

Gun can actually be pretty difficult to find as is. I only know of 3 possible spawns for it but depending on your start and its spawn it can be hell. For instance my game once started in a snow storm, was lost in the woods for what seemed like forever finally found a building and got warm. Went to first known spawn. No gun. Went to second known spawn another day. No gun. Last known spawn hydro dam. Which is basically a guarenteed melee wolf battle. Finally had a rifle after killing wolf with bare hands on hard. it felt earned. lol

I personally like the idea of anything being able to spawn anywhere. I think it would be neat if you could find the guns on corpses or in random snow drifts. If I had it my way the rifle would have a much more infinite number of spawn points but there would be more guns, like pistols you can also find almost anywhere (mind you very unlikely and not necessarily in good condition). Then I would make them both use an exclusive bullet type so I could manage commonality of that type of ammo. Then finally i would alter the weight of the firearms so that its was impractical to carry several on the off chance a player did find multiple in some weird stroke of luck.

Archived