Item Decay

robdoar

I like that Items wear out, it ads much needed challenge.

However, I think the rate of decay, and think that unused items are decaying too quickly. (I had an unused can opener go bad after 3 days)

I would much rather have items decay at a faster rate when used, then have unused items inexplicably wear out when stowed.

Haven't made it to 3 days yet, but why would a can opener decay at all ?? Week or 2 of continued Pork and Beans, yes the teeth wear, but 3 days is a little too much.

Ill have to keep a eye out for that.

What happened, ? Did it come up with a "Can opener is worn out" warning when opening cans ?? I was gutted when I had 5 cans of food, but had to go to the lookout to get a can opener, because I couldn't put them on the fire or hit with a rock or use any other tool I had in my backpack :(

Guest Alan Lawrance
I like that Items wear out, it ads much needed challenge.

However, I think the rate of decay, and think that unused items are decaying too quickly. (I had an unused can opener go bad after 3 days)

I would much rather have items decay at a faster rate when used, then have unused items inexplicably wear out when stowed.

Yeah, I agree things like a can opener should wear out based on usage. Note clothing wears out significantly faster when worn (vs. stored in backpack).

Decay is a bit tricky since it's hard to be realistic with it, and still make it a meaningful part of the simulation. If we were ultra realistic with the decay, it would cease to be relevant to the game given the expected survival times of most players.

Guest Alan Lawrance
Haven't made it to 3 days yet, but why would a can opener decay at all ?? Week or 2 of continued Pork and Beans, yes the teeth wear, but 3 days is a little too much.

Ill have to keep a eye out for that.

What happened, ? Did it come up with a "Can opener is worn out" warning when opening cans ?? I was gutted when I had 5 cans of food, but had to go to the lookout to get a can opener, because I couldn't put them on the fire or hit with a rock or use any other tool I had in my backpack :(

We've had discussions about how players might be able to extract some food from cans without a can opener. One solution is to allow smashing of cans, which results in a partial loss of the food item. A more detailed solution is to allow opening with alternate tools... but there are some interface complexities with that.

• Hinterland

Yeah, decay is in a constant state of being tuned. A lot of things are set to not decay at all, or at least not meaningfully (ex. tools). Clothing is currently decaying quickly as a test. For most of our development we had things decay "realistically" (ex. it would take 100 days for a winter coat to decay), which made gear condition and repair as a concept, pretty irrelevant.

This is pretty easy to fix and is something I imagine we'll continue tuning for a while yet.

And yes, "tools" that have value when used -- like can openers, repair tools, hatchets, etc. -- should decay on use. This makes their use a choice you have to account for in the grand scheme. We'll be adding more things like this as well.

And yes, "tools" that have value when used -- like can openers, repair tools, hatchets, etc. -- should decay on use. This makes their use a choice you have to account for in the grand scheme. We'll be adding more things like this as well.

That would also give a reason [incentive] for picking up that spare can opener too.

I still wish we could at least try using hatchet, crowbar, or every throwing canned food at wolves to help fend them off *lol*

I'm totally jiving with the item decay. I think the clothes are spot on when used. If I decide to keep a spare item in my pack, I don't think that item should decay at all. I'd gladly trade that off for a much higher loss when used, but I'm willing to agree to disagree.

Archived