Game does not start properly on Windows 8.1

indianajonas

Hi guys

Today I got my new PC (Toshiba Notebook - more specs are in my signature). I installed STEAM and THE LONG DARK. Than I started the game. I chose full hd (1920x1080p) and "not windowed". As soon as I click "ok", the game starts in a weird way. I have made an iPhone video. All my other trys to capture something with software failed. (Do you know good software for capture things?)

Video download:

http://ul.to/f66rxf25

I have to mention that I have another notebook. It is nearly 8 years old (HP Compaq 6710b). On this device I can start the game. I see the startscreen, can choose from options. Music is playing. I can enter the sandbox mode. The only annoying thing is the performance of this notebook.

If you need more information, feel free to ask.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Hi Jonas -- could you please attach your output_log.txt file to this thread? It can be found under your Steam install directory in:

steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data

I don't have Windows 8 to test, but if anyone runs Windows 8, please let us know if the game runs successfully or not for you.

I didn't view the video yet. That upload site seems a bit sketchy, and I wasn't convinced it wasn't going to try to install something on my machine. Dropbox or Google Drive are good free options for files that aren't too large.

@Alan -- I'll grab the video and store it on my own hosting space. I'll let you know when it's ready for you to grab [once I make sure it's working okay and clean of infection for security], then I'll PM you through the board

@indianajonas -- doing a quick check, it looks like there are a lot of people having all kinds of issues with Steam running properly on Win 8.1 [v8.0 apparently worked okay]... I'll see if I can find out any further info after Alan sees what he can find on his end -- I won't install Win8 on my system, so unfortunately I can't help with specifics... Hopefully one of the other users can help.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Thanks Bill -- I was able to view the video from your hosting space.

From the video, it definitely looks like some kind of crash at the main menu. Getting the log file will definitely help narrow things down.

Good news, everybody. Now it works!

After Bill has mentioned the problems with STEAM / Win8, I tried to play another game. The Stanley Parable works fine. And in the beginning it forced me to install DirectX, which has solved the problem with The Long Dark.

Now I can test the sandbox mode, yay!

Guest Alan Lawrance

Thanks for the info... it sounds like we should also do a DirectX check and install if needed.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Moving to Fixed, although technically nothing was fixed. Problem was an out of date (or missing) DirectX runtime.

Archived