Do some wolves have rabies or something?

miandelam

Usually I have no problem with staying clear of the wolves. I just go around when I spot one, no problem. But some of them.. To me it feels that some have a wider radius and you just can't shake them off even with carrying a flare and when they do attack they come back for seconds and thirds till it's dead.

I'm not encumbered, not too fatigued, ate well, drank well and my clothing is in a really decent state.

I do run pretty much all the time, that's the only thing I can think off

So do they have rabies, am I imaging things or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

FYI: not complaining, just curious

Some wolves are more persistent than others. While some will flee after you fight them off, some indeed keep coming back until either one off you is dead.

Flares only have a chance to keep a wolf at bay, they work by no means 100% of the time. And if you light the flare once the wolf has come within his fight/ flee radius it won't make a difference.

You should always (if you're not encumbered that is) be able to outdistance a wolf to the point where he just gives up. But that takes a good run to happen. Also don't run into a strong wind as it will slow you down but not the wolf.

Ah ok,

So some DO have rabies or are more persistent, let's put it that way ;)

Yeah It's usually when I've done the running and the fleeing part( for quite a distance) and I do a quick stop to check condition/drink something I get jumped not noticing that same wolf has crept up when I wasn't looking.

I don't know for a fact but it does seem like there is some variability in how aggressive any given wolf is. Sometimes I'll shoot at one and he'll run off somewhere but then 3 minutes later attack me from behind even after I left the area... sometimes they'll run away and back off, and sometimes they do seem to ignore flares (but that might be a bug).

Archived