Blood Trails Disapeering

shepard1707

So this has happened a few times now, where I'm following a deer or wolf I've injured, and while I'm looking at the blood trail it completely vanishes. Just goes poof, bye bye. The first few times, I thought I might have just stepped off the trail and lost it, so I back tracked, but the whole trail had seemingly evaporated into thin air.

I have to wonder if this has anything to do with the critter despawning or something, since I couldn't find it at all after that, no matter how hard I looked.

This thread says this will be fixed in the next update, but the comment is from before the most recent update. So, I'm not sure if it didn't actually make it into that update (it's not in the notes) or if the fix didn't work.

I have had this happen several times also. Most recently, today, I shot a wolf at the Train Derailment. I thought I had hit it, and it ran away in the opposite direction of the Camp Office but I could not find a blood trail for it. I went to skin a ravaged deer just at the end of the derailed train car, and as I was getting ready to start, I heard a growl and saw a wolf approaching me from where the wolf I shot at had been when I first approached the derailment. It was as though the wolf had reset to its original starting position (or maybe a new wolf spawned at that wolf's previous location.)

So, that was weird. But then, the wolf attacked me, and I fought it off. It ran (again in the opposite direction of the Camp Office) and I started following its trail. It veered a little away from the tracks and up a hill. I followed, and as I crested the hill, the trail vanished. I know I didn't just lose sight of it because I had been running along it, so my footprints were following the blood trail. My footprints were still there, but the blood trail was gone.

The same thing happened to me today. Shot a wolf eating a deer and it didn't die instantly. Was trailing it a ways behind following the blood trail and then it disappeared. I still caught up to the wolf near by but there was no trail of blood to it.

I finally noticed yesterday what is actually happening with the blood trails. They don't disappear, they appear.

When you come to the end of a bloodtrail. Stop, keep looking around you at the ground where the blood trail stops and if you do that at some point you will be rewarded with the next part of the trail.

I guess this is to simulate having to track the animal so naturally you would have to take some time and trying to do that while runnning is't really credible.

Think it's fantastic but maybe a little too subtle since I almost played for 300 hours and only noticed yesterday :)

I finally noticed yesterday what is actually happening with the blood trails. They don't disappear, they appear.

When you come to the end of a bloodtrail. Stop, keep looking around you at the ground where the blood trail stops and if you do that at some point you will be rewarded with the next part of the trail.

That's not what we're talking about. The issue we are describing is not following the trail and then "losing" it because we haven't patiently looked for the next spot hard enough. The entire trail, plus the wolf, completely vanishes. As I described in comment above, for example: I was following a blood trail and also leaving footprints. The blood trail 100% vanished. My foot prints were still there, but the blood trial was gone. It is not an issue of people not looking in the right place/hard enough/waiting long enough for the next drop to "appear."

Each drop of blood has a limited fixed timespan. If you shoot/injure a wolf, and then sit and wait, you can watch after several minutes as the blood drops start to disappear, one after the other.

Right ... but having the entire trail disappear instantly while you are actively following it is what we're describing here. Not the normal, to-be-expected appearance/disappearance of individual drops in a trail.

Each drop of blood has a limited fixed timespan. If you shoot/injure a wolf, and then sit and wait, you can watch after several minutes as the blood drops start to disappear, one after the other.

sure, but then the drops should first disappear from the beginning of the trail not from the end.

I saw this happening just today also. wolf and the trail disappeared out of thin air.

Does anyone know how long it takes that trail vanishes?

Today I was attacked by a wolf after I have leaved a car at Costal Townside. After the fight with the wolf, I followed the blood trail the hill up, and after about 20 seconds the trail vanished.

Oh that. Seems to happen whenever the wolf changes modes. I was following a wounded wolf when he ran across a deer. Poof! No more blood spots. He still died, though.

I saw this happen today. Exactly this in fact I watched it from a distance.

I was tracking a wolf and I watched as he suddenly took off after a deer. He died half way to charging the deer (bummer didn't get the venison). I tracked the blood trail and it just stopped where he switched modes and chased the deer.

• 2 months later...

Ffs guys, the thousenth time, rly start to loose temper. Why should I even track a wounded animal when it vanishes all of the sudden? Today I even saw a wolf disappearing!?

Since 1.83 I wasnt able to track down an animal once, rly frustrated!

I wonder that I seem to be the only one?!

I've been able to track animals in many cases. What I HAVE noticed is that if you injure an animal and immediately start tracking it, it will keep running away from you at speed!

That means that it gets so far ahead of you that their blood trail ages before you get to where they were.

If however you take a couple of min to say harvest a piece of cedar THEN go tracking the animal will have stopped running and dropped.

It's actually a pretty good representation of how Deer (I don't hunt wolf so I can't speak to them) act when spooked. Their fight or flight mechanism will keep them running long after they should have died if they are keep under pressure.

Ffs guys, the thousenth time, rly start to loose temper. Why should I even track a wounded animal when it vanishes all of the sudden? Today I even saw a wolf disappearing!?

you arent. we are finding disappearing animals as a bug and are working on it. Sorry for your frustration pikkue, and thanks for your continued support.

you arent. we are finding disappearing animals as a bug and are working on it. Sorry for your frustration pikkue, and thanks for your continued support.

Oki then

Archived