Available meat, gut, skin at 0% condition (v.182)

indianajonas

I survived the fight with Fluffy with 1% condition. Asap I applied bandages and antiseptic, ate, drank and went to sleep. I survived with 7%. Yay!

After I regained some more condition I went downstairs and met the dead body of Fluffy. She hadn’t survived. So I tried to harvest, meat, gut and skin from her.

A message said something like "Condition to low for harvesting". I looked at myself and realised that my condition was about 70%. So I went to sleep. After I regained 100% condition I tried again.

Unfortunately I hadn’t recognized that the condition of the wolf parts were 0%. I was somehow misleaded by the information of 4.6kg of available meat, gut and skin because on condition 0% items normaly just disappear.

Is there something to prevent this? Would be cool...

See screenshot

jAmCHbb.png

The only thing I can think off is that the carcass spoiled because you waited too long. Outside this is not a problem, since the carcass will freeze before it can reach 0%, but because you're in the dam temperatures are higher and maybe the carcass did reach 0%. You spent a considerable time sleeping to heal back up from 7%.

To prevent this, don't wait too long to harvest a carcass that's inside (guess this only applies to fluffy).

I'm not so sure if that's the case, elloco..I've fought with Fluffy on two different run throughs and had this happen both times: I entered the dam, got into a knife fight with Fluffy, won out with very little condition with the wolf running off to lick its wounds..after Fluffy took off, I'd go outside immediately, patch up and head to the nearest location to eat and sleep until my condition is back up to 100%, which took about 1.5-2 days depending on my condition. Once I was ready and raring to go, I'd go back to the dam and look around to find Fluffy's carcass with condition still high enough for me to be able to cook the meat and have it be in the 90s condition-wise.

HOWEVER, these two times happened before the latest hotfix, so maybe they changed the mechanics since then? :?:

Guest Alan Lawrance

Wolf corpses decay pretty fast when not frozen -- 5% an hour actually, so it would only take 20 hours to spoil entirely indoors.

I do think Jonas brings up a good usability point though -- should we even show the meat there when it can't be harvested at all? You can't get it, and the condition message is potentially confusing.

I actually tangled with Fluffy again today and when I happened on the carcass, noticed a severe drop in the condition of the meat after a night of sleeping the attack off in the dam, haha (which leads me to a question about something I hadn't actually had to encounter before today, I'll ask at the bottom of this response).

But I agree, it is a good point. Perhaps keep the meat/hide/gut amount there, but just tweak the sentence so it is specifying that it is the meat/hide/gut's condition that is too low to harvest?

On to my question: after Fluffy's attack, I went to go pour antiseptic on the wound, but woefully discovered that I had used the last of my antiseptic when the last wolf attack happened. All my stuff was still based on the Highway, and the only reason I was even in Mystery Lake was so I could run through and try to get that Exploration Game achievement now that it's been fixed. So I make my way back to my base and grab some more of my stashed antiseptic and pour it on (I was at ~78% risk of infection by this point). Once it's all poured on, the infection risk was lowered to 40%. I tried pouring more on to see if it would lower more, but it will not lower past 40% and I have sadly wasted some antiseptic. Now I ask: Is this supposed to happen, or did I stumble upon a bug?

I would ALSO like to ask that if I do end up with infection, is it fatal or can I treat it with antibiotics or something? I know it sounds a bit noobish, but like I said, I've never encountered a situation where I needed to wonder this until now :P

Guest Alan Lawrance

Yeah, changing the wording of the message may be the best approach (and certainly the least work).

To answer your question on antiseptic -- you get no benefit beyond the first dose. The risk didn't drop to zero since you weren't able to apply the antiseptic right away.

If you do get infected, it can be treated with antibiotics. It's essential you do get it treated, since it's very difficult (if not impossible) to let it run its course.

Archived