Tracking a bleeding wolf

Jbronco

I know that the tracking a bleeding wolf was tuned with the new update yesterday, i was wonder how was it changed?

I got a wolf down to 20% health and he ran so i started to track him but the trail dried up almost instantly!

I was at the gas station and by the time i got three houses away the trail dried up.

Suddenly a wolf (which was nowhere in sight) came from around a building, naturally i thought this was my wolf as i had been hot on his tail.

Wrong! Wolf with full health almost killed me.

Am i to assume that the wolves regenerate health over time? Not this quick though. so it must have been a new wolf.

Anyways, i felt the tracking was almost impossible.

Has anyone experienced this with v.181?

Not with the recent update, but before i found it hard to track a wolf down too. Aswell cause the drops seem to "dry" much too fast.

They should maybe stay when its good weather and only disappear while there's storm going on, same with footprints.

Same here, I posted a bug about it on previous version but I can't really say that Ive noticed any difference.

Same thing happens again;

1. Warbattle with wolf

2. Wolf runs away

3. Use aid kits

4. Follow wolf by the bloodtrail

5. Bloodtrail ends in the middle of nowhere and wolf has dissapeared (teleported straight up by aliens?)

6. Bloodtrail dissapears

This also happend on the current build 182. Dont know what factor it is that tells the game to unspawn the bleeding wolf but this really needs adjusting as Ive never been able to catch a bleeding wolf the last two builds at least.

Just to reiterate, I successfully tracked a wolf before. We had the encounter at the waterfront cottages and I followed him all the way across the lake to misanthropes. Thats where I had my revenge. I did have him in view the whole time so idk if that made a difference.

I'm curious if in some cases it is because the wolf is going to live and the blood stops. They don't always die and it makes sense the trail will dry up.

There has been an issue (at least prior to this update) where animals will poof when injured. I've seen them do it right in front of me, and saw it reported here. Even still, they can run a very, very long way and still remain skittish. So, if you get close even if you don't see them, they can run off further.

Oddly enough, I've never bothered tracking down wolves right after I've been attacked...I go to shelter, heal up, then sleep until my condition is back up at 100%. More often than not when I look around after healing up, I end up finding the dead wolf somewhere near. Granted this does not happen 100% of the time, but I had always assumed that it was the wolf not dying.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Yeah, there is an issue with the blood spots becoming hard/impossible to see past a certain angle. We're going to try to improve this.

Note -- wildlife will always bleed out eventually. The time it takes depends on where and how they were injured.

Yes, I can report the same problem. The blood trail just disappears at some point. Immediately after I shot the wolf I began to RUN after it, and never stopped running. Still it goes a bit too fast and at one point the trail just dries up and I end up with lots of lost calories and a lost bullet :(

This actually happened when I was tracking a Deer for me. Shot it and started tracking it, but the blood trail disappeared after a few yards.

I did eventually find the deer, but there was no blood trail to lead me to him. I basically waited until he walked back into the clearing and croaked.

Archived