#443 Russian localization

Jureth

Let's begin.

It's not the major but the first issue: The russian language name isn't started with capital letter in options menu.

• "Warmer" is translated as "Тепло" ("warm", the wrong form of the word), it should be "Теплее".
  • "Condition" from sorting options is translated as "Условие", it should be "Состояние". You used the wrong definition of the word.
  • "FOV" ("field of view") is usually translated as "поле зрение", not "ракурс"
  • "First Aid" should be translated as "Аптечка" at least in inventory. "Первая помощь" is a description of an action in most cases.
  • "Wearing" should be translated as "Надето" or smth very similar. "Носит" is a verb.
  • "Починить" ("repair") in survival panel is a verb in indefinite form. It's better to translate as "Ремонт"
  • "Feels like" should be translated as "По ощущению". These words used by meteo report centers sometimes and it's clearer than "Похоже" ("like" or even "looks like").
  • "windchill" should be "влияние ветра" or smth very similar. The current translation means "frost with wind" and have the same sense.
  • "Cold" from condition block of survival panel should be translated as "Обморожение". "Холод" can't be used as somebody's condition name

upd:

• "Hours to Rest" in rest dialog: "Время отдыха: {nn} ч." is the best option. At least, "Часов на отдых: {nn}". The word "час" ("hour") can be shortened only in form "{number} часов"
  • "Locker" should be "Шкафчик". Just the wrong object definition.
  • "Lightning" during the lightning a flare should "Зажигается" (a verb) or "Зажигание" if you need noun.
  • The Harvest dialog is completely wrong: All translations are from farming, not from disassembling items.
    • "Harvest" - "Демонтаж". It's hard to apply this word to clothes but I couldn't find the better one.
    • "Item to harvest" - "Разобрать предмет"
    • "Yield" - "Результат"

ps:

The cyrillic font is ugly.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly agreed with OP, I'm also noticed those issues and I have one more:

• "Ravaged" (deer carcass) is translated as "Сломанное" that means "Broken". It should be "Растерзанная" or "Разодранная" (туша оленя).
  • Encumbered = Препятствие (literally "obstacle") -> Перегруз ("overload")

But I think these points aren't necessary and sort of overcomplicated:

"Wearing" should be translated as "Надето" or smth very similar. "Носит" is a verb.

There are already many russian verbs in 3rd person in the game, like Drinking, Eating, etc. "Носит" is shorter and has the same style.

"Feels like" should be translated as "По ощущению". These words used by meteo report centers sometimes and it's clearer than "Похоже" ("like" or even "looks like").

"По ощущению" is too long IMO.

"Cold" from condition block of survival panel should be translated as "Обморожение". "Холод" can't be used as somebody's condition name

"Обморожение" sounds like you have a frostbite by default in more or less degree. "Холод" should be used in this place. Also it fits just right in the survival panel.

"Harvest" - "Демонтаж".

Why not simply "Разобрать"? "Демонтаж" is hardly applicable to any item you have in the game.

The cyrillic font is ugly.

No, it looks exactly the same. All complaints to the Saints Cyril and Methodius :D

"Обморожение" sounds like you have a frostbite by default in more or less degree. "Холод" should be used in this place. Also it fits just right in the survival panel.
Maybe you're right but it doesn't make the definition of the bar very clear.
Why not simply "Разобрать"?
I don't like it because it's a verb but I won't insist.
There are already many russian verbs in 3rd person in the game, like Drinking, Eating, etc. "Носит" is shorter and has the same style.
Drinking (or eating) is a process what happens right after you clicking the button and lasts for a few seconds. It's hard to say the same about "wearing" and I think these words just can not have the same style even in English.

Anyway It's really hard to understand "носит" as "the item is worn". The first meaning comes to mind is "the item wears" and it's followed by questions "Wears? what does it wear?"

Drinking (or eating) is a process what happens right after you clicking the button and lasts for a few seconds. It's hard to say the same about "wearing" and I think these words just can not have the same style even in English.

Anyway It's really hard to understand "носит" as "the item is worn". The first meaning comes to mind is "the item wears" and it's followed by questions "Wears? what does it wear?"

Thank you, now it makes sense.

Would be great if you add my edits to the first post to avoid ambiguity.

Archived