Question related to $80 tier

Guest Alan Lawrance

Alpha access only applies to the primary copy -- the second copy will be the retail release.

We were offering upgrades of the second copy to Beta or Alpha as an Add-On during the Kickstarter campaign, and it's something we may offer again.

I was going to create a new thread, but this is another question about the $80 tier and alpha, so I'm hopping on here!..I'm really excited to get into The Long Dark. I'm just wondering if the alpha will include the native Oculus Rift support, or will this not be available until the final release? I'm a student studying visual effects and game design and my two week break from school starts next week...I know the alpha for my tier may not be out by then, but I'm still hoping for it, with or without Rift support :D

Guest Alan Lawrance

We won't have Rift support in the next few weeks... but our goal is to have it implemented before the final release. I suspect it's the sort of thing that would benefit from player feedback before final release.

Definitely! I don't have super high standards for visual quality since VR on this level is sort of a new game, but there's really no beating native Rift support when it comes to playing a game. A good sense of scale and really good 3D sound make a world of difference, and make up for other things that may be lacking. Having the ability to control your character's motions independent from the movement of your head (like in Half-Life 2) is also a huge bonus. Testing new games in the Rift is a blast, especially when it leads to a better final product!

Thanks for the reply, can't wait to see the game!!

I wish I had the money for a DK2! I know it has some updated and new features, so I hope my Rift will work okay with this game (and others). I'm really excited you guys took advantage of the opportunity either way. They're supposed to ship 20-30,000 kits in July, which seems like a really ambitious number, so I'll keep my fingers crossed too! I also love telling everyone this game was developed locally :)

thanks for replying.

Now my next question is how close are tiers that paid below the $1000 (who got first dibs on the alpha) who also paid for the alpha going to get the alpha? Not demanding, just asking. Some sort of ETA would be good, I think I read somewhere 2 weeks two thursdays ago, so it's been a couple of weeks but no alpha. Also how will the alpha be distributed?

Archived