A Generator for the Camp Office

Brad Simmons

An awesome addition to the game would be a generator for the camp office in Mystery Lake. It would be outside close to the back door. Though the gas tank would be empty each time a new sandbox is started. Good places to find a gas container would be at the Carter Hydro Dam, hidden bunkers, or from the vehicles in Coastal Highway. Or even find a container inside the Quonset Gas Station. This generator will hold a maximum of 1 gallon, and run for 8 hours at most. While it's running, it should have the ability to turn on lights inside the office. A porch light on the front door would be nice. Benefits of a running generator should also include something like a sewing machine to repair clothing. An electric heater to recover from freezing, and some sort of electric stove to cook food or melt snow and boil water. It would be another option instead of using one of the 2 fire stoves. You should also have the option to turn off generator when not in use to save fuel. As far as sound effects goes, it would be nice to hear it running while you're inside the office. And much louder if you're standing right next to it. When you hover the cursor over the generator, it'll tell you how much time is left before it runs out of gas. There's another part I'm not too sure about. Should you have the option to refuel if it's running? Or only when it's turned off? Is it too dangerous to refuel a generator in real life if it's already on?

What do you all think of this? It would be a pretty neat feature huh?!

Good God Elloco, Your speed and precision with that AA gun is amazing.

Anyway, yeah, Generators, Electricty and any form of advanced technology has been a no-no in these forums. The game is not meant to be about them, it's meant to be about surviving without them.

HOWEVER, I love the idea of a sewing machine, and I have seen some fantastic old fashioned mechanical ones out and about (my mum has one, a Singer sewing machine), the ability to repair clothing to a greater degree would be interesting, or at least those that are repaired with the sewing machine would have a slower degradation rate than hand repaired ones.

Or just think if the generator is added. You have an interaction to try to start it. But has no way of starting even if it has gas in it. Due to the geomagnetic storm. Just like the radios you see in some of the buildings. They will not turn on regardless if the battery is good or not. That would make sense.

It could be interesting once the GMSs effects are more fleshed out. They've mentioned that electrical things might come back on or off at odd times, radios coming back on, TVs flipping on, etc. If the same could happen with the generator, it might permit you a little while of warmth and creature comforts, before it shuts off.

• 1 month later...
It could be interesting once the GMSs effects are more fleshed out. They've mentioned that electrical things might come back on or off at odd times, radios coming back on, TVs flipping on, etc.

A radio suddenly crackling to life when you're in a room, lights flashing on and off. Could add a touch of horror to the game. I like it.

Archived