Wolf Interaction

Jbronco

I was playing last night and a thought popped in my head as I was backing away from a wolf for what seemed like the longest three minutes of my life.

Lit flare in hand, how great would it have been to shout at the wolf and wave the flare around, only then to realize I got a sprained ankle from walking backwards for so long with no regard to the terrain.

I think a little more effort on our survivor would be cool to see. Shouting, waving hands, waving a flare, stuff like that.

I dont know if the whole walking backwards and getting an injury is already incorporated

I know that’s what I would be doing in that kind of situation!

I was playing last night and a thought popped in my head as I was backing away from a wolf for what seemed like the longest three minutes of my life.

Lit flare in hand, how great would it have been to shout at the wolf and wave the flare around, only then to realize I got a sprained ankle from walking backwards for so long with no regard to the terrain.

I think a little more effort on our survivor would be cool to see. Shouting, waving hands, waving a flare, stuff like that.

I dont know if the whole walking backwards and getting an injury is already incorporated

I know that’s what I would be doing in that kind of situation!

Ooh, I rather like that idea. Perhaps along with the shouting, the player could have the option to try and pick up a rock or otherwise loose stuff from the ground to throw at the wolf, or banging things together? The ability to dissuade a wolf attack with loud noises and projectiles would be so nice :D And it could be that this strategy would only work based off of the distance between the player and wolf..and perhaps how desperate the wolf is for food (if animal desperation/hunger is ever looked into/implemented)

Ooh, I rather like that idea. Perhaps along with the shouting, the player could have the option to try and pick up a rock or otherwise loose stuff from the ground to throw at the wolf, or banging things together?

Maybe the option to keep empty cans from food and use those for noise and projectiles. The who process of backing away just seemed a little one sided, 2 dimensional if you will

Agreed, it would be another really good reason to have the ability to keep food containers! Yeah, it would have been nice if I could have done more than just run away from the wolves that were trying to track me yesterday. Ended up in a rather hilarious situation near the coastal town in which I was trying to get a deer between me and the wolves. Ended up just being me chasing the deer while being chased by two wolves haha.

I've also suggested the introduction of a flare-launcher (similar in design to a rough crossbow) that allows you to fire a lit flare over longer distances and do a small amount of damage on impact with a wolf

Or a flare gun, like the kind you would find on a boat. Might be a sweet find in one of the fishing cabins!

I think this is a good idea too. Perhaps, instead of having the mechanic where you throw the flare, perhaps have the right click be that you shake the flare and shout and if you do that while running at the wolf, it has a greater chance of running away, because you're making yourself look tougher. But there's still a chance of it turning bad, because if you're injured or weak, the wolf may not buy your act and you running at it just brings you closer to it, so it can more easily attack you. It would make the wolf encounters feel more proactive (like you're actually doing something about it instead of just waiting to see if the wolf will attack), while still having its own risks and be more believable than just throwing away what is possibly your only defense.

No wolf would attac while you walk through a snow strom! Exactly this happens in the game. Why?

The mini-wolf included in the game (it might exist anywhere on earth) is always alone. Why? This is not acording to nature.

The real wolf (Canada?) will bring 15 to 25 kg of meat, because the weight is some 50 to 60kg (or more). No one would survive any attac from a wolf. No one, not even a born-Rambo.

But a wolf will not attac, because in real life any little scratch can lead to death (on the long run, nature is not friendly), so the risk faktor keeps a lone wolf away - and this is the point where the flare (and shouting) comes into the game. Showing the wolfe some risk, will change the calculation ot the beast. Only a very hungry wolfe will attac when there is a chance to get wounded, even thought the wolf will win (always!). So I agree with Jbronco, there should be some interaction like flare, shouting, waving hands to get rid of the wolf (and of course this should work). Except the wolf gets you by surpise, then you are dead - nothing more, nothing less (anyone not believing this, should go to the next zoo and have a look at a real wolf).

No wolf would attac while you walk through a snow strom! Exactly this happens in the game. Why?

The mini-wolf included in the game (it might exist anywhere on earth) is always alone. Why? This is not acording to nature.

The real wolf (Canada?) will bring 15 to 25 kg of meat, because the weight is some 50 to 60kg (or more). No one would survive any attac from a wolf. No one, not even a born-Rambo.

But a wolf will not attac, because in real life any little scratch can lead to death (on the long run, nature is not friendly), so the risk faktor keeps a lone wolf away - and this is the point where the flare (and shouting) comes into the game. Showing the wolfe some risk, will change the calculation ot the beast. Only a very hungry wolfe will attac when there is a chance to get wounded, even thought the wolf will win (always!). So I agree with Jbronco, there should be some interaction like flare, shouting, waving hands to get rid of the wolf (and of course this should work). Except the wolf gets you by surpise, then you are dead - nothing more, nothing less (anyone not believing this, should go to the next zoo and have a look at a real wolf).

True wolves don't behave like this in nature, perhaps they are smaller and act the way they do due to the natural disaster that put our survivor in the predicament he's in. So however the devs explain the behavior is up to them bit yeah risk for the wolf should be included, ex. Crazy survivor with a flare and noise, not a chance or a fatigued hungry cold encumbered survivor game over its dinner time

Had to make an account to reply to this post as I thought exactly the same thing from personal experience.

I was once taking a jog at night because I finish work late and I went past this house that has these two viscous dogs that always bark at me from the fence, only this time someone left the gate open. I noticed the gate was open this time so I decided to cross the road to go past, but as soon as I got close both dogs ran out of the gate and ran infront of my path by about 20m, barking and growling, blocking my way.

I knew these dogs were dangerous just from their clear territorial claim they had and the way they had ran infront of me. I was pretty scared and remembered something from a bear grylls show where he said to try and shout, stand proud, look big and do not show weakness. So I did. I shouted commands 'sit!' 'stay!' and held my arms out. The dogs still slowly advanced on me.

So I remembered another thing bear grylls said, back away slowly without turning your back and drop a personal item and run to confuse the dogs and make them go for your item instead of you. So I backed away slowly without taking eye contact away, took my singlet off as it was the only thing I had on me, dropped it and ran around the corner. Both dogs ran barking at my singlet by that time I had already got enough distance between me and them that they lost interest.

It was a pretty scary experience and it would be awesome if the long dark had this kind of interaction. I think the current system where you can literately turn and run when the wolf is walking towards you is a bit unrealistic, because instinctively they would just run after you. Shouting commands or dropping a preselected item if that doesn't work would be a much more realistic and proper interaction imo. It would still be just as scary too as there should be a chance nothing works. :)

It would be good if your character gave an active acknowledgement of a wolf when you spot one. Seeing as the wolf is the one and only adversary in the game currently a bit of two and forth before an engagement would be exciting.

I agree shouting and waving a flare about all that sort of thing should be able to be used to dissuade wolves from attacking. I'm not sure it should scare them off however, given the games scenario resulting in wolves being unnaturally aggressive.

The combat system should be influenced by this acknowledgement as well. If you've spotted a wolf and it clearly looks interested in a bit of survivor-flavoured-dog-food and you haven't actively made an attempt to scare it off with a flare. The character should draw whatever weapon available in anticipation of conflict. This could score an attack in your favour pre-struggle. Likewise if you get caught off guard by a wolf the opposite should happen (unlikely given the amount of noise they make!) and the struggle is harder for you to win.

It would be good if your character gave an active acknowledgement of a wolf when you spot one. Seeing as the wolf is the one and only adversary in the game currently a bit of two and forth before an engagement would be exciting.

I agree shouting and waving a flare about all that sort of thing should be able to be used to dissuade wolves from attacking. I'm not sure it should scare them off however, given the games scenario resulting in wolves being unnaturally aggressive.

The combat system should be influenced by this acknowledgement as well. If you've spotted a wolf and it clearly looks interested in a bit of survivor-flavoured-dog-food and you haven't actively made an attempt to scare it off with a flare. The character should draw whatever weapon available in anticipation of conflict. This could score an attack in your favour pre-struggle. Likewise if you get caught off guard by a wolf the opposite should happen (unlikely given the amount of noise they make!) and the struggle is harder for you to win.

I totally agree, the wolfs seem way to aggressive, I've always learned that wolfs are quite peaceful unless provoked.

Also (bought the game today btw, so not much experience yet lol) it has happened quite a few times that I go into, for example, an ice fishing hut and I see a few wolfs in the far distance (so far I can just see them), seems safe enough. But in the short time that I'm searching the hut, two or three wolfs have come closer and start circling the hut. Whatever I do, lighting multiple flares and throwing them through the doorpost, lighting a fire in the stove and going to sleep, dropping some meat or fish on the ground to distract them, nothing works to get rid of these guys. All I can do is use all my resources extending my survival, or just commit suicide by walking outside. My mind is blown by this, and it drives me crazy.

I've seen this same phenomenon happen to StacyPlays (great youtuber that is the cause of me also playing this game :D, also has an item named after her btw :P ) at the abandoned lookout, where the wolfs are just glitched out and keep circling around you.

It would be great if this could get fixed, would make the experience a lot more fun and enjoyable

I totally agree, the wolfs seem way to aggressive.....in the short time that I'm searching the hut, two or three wolfs have come closer and start circling the hut. Whatever I do, lighting multiple flares and throwing them.

I have only died by wolves, never through cold, or hunger/thirst, or anything. Its always 2 wolves that get me. First one takes me down, no matter how many flares I use, then when I beat him off and get up, the second is on top of me. Dead.

Sucks because if I had a weapon in hand (i've yet to find a rifle, found lots of ammo though), even a big stick, I can at least I can swing that sucker before getting mounted.

...Sucks because if I had a weapon in hand (i've yet to find a rifle, found lots of ammo though), even a big stick, I can at least I can swing that sucker before getting mounted.

If you have a hunting knife, hatchet or pry bar it will automatically be used when fighting wolves and increase the damage you do.

• 2 months later...

Waow, clearly I had no idea how hard the game was! I first tried it on "Pilgrim" difficulty and thought I had done poorly dying on the fourth day. I've now tried on "Voyageur" 3 times and I never lasted more than one! Meeting a wolf seems to mean instant death... I don't even understand what I'm supposed to do. Is there even a way to fend them off without a bazooka? ;-) Seriously, I guess when you have found a rifle, you may have a chance, but until then you are just dog meat... When you are freezing and there is a wolf between you and the next shelter, it's game over! Please Hinterland, make it a little less "hopeless": I think I'm going to stick to "Pilgrim" mode until you have adjusted the difficulty curve...

Surviving wolves isn't that hard. Do not approach them if you can go around. You can drop food decoy (press 4). If you are fighting a wolf, then build your strenght with LMB (look at the bar at the bottom of the screen) and then attack with RMB. Rinse and repeat. If you have some weapon (prybar, hatchet or knife), then it is used automatically (knife is the best from them). Or you can scare them with flare or torch.

Thanks for the advice. I think the problem is partly due to the fact that I'm playing on an ultrabook, with the integrated touchpad. This makes the game very playable as far as exploration and crafting are concerned but combat is nearly impossible. Since the generally slow-paced and cerebral gameplay of TLD makes it arguably an ideal title for this type of machine (apart from the fact that it seems unexpectedly demanding on CPU/GPU resources and drains my battery in about one hour!), I think it could benefit from a "defend yourself" action bound to a single key. Perhaps it could use a timing mechanism to make it a little more challenging (similar to Assassin's Creed III's or Tomb Raider's QTE in an identical "wolf attack" scenario)?

Thanks for the advice. I think the problem is partly due to the fact that I'm playing on an ultrabook, with the integrated touchpad.

I imagine that is not very easy to handle... why don't you just hook up a mouse? Doesn't need to be an expensive gaming mouse, any cheap 10€ mouse would probably be better than the touchpad ;)

Thanks for the advice. I think the problem is partly due to the fact that I'm playing on an ultrabook, with the integrated touchpad.

I imagine that is not very easy to handle... why don't you just hook up a mouse? Doesn't need to be an expensive gaming mouse, any cheap 10€ mouse would probably be better than the touchpad ;)

I completely agree with that.I also play on my laptop,where I have touchpad mouse,so i had realy very hard times controling movement of my character.not to mention rifle shooting.:-p Then I bought wireless mouse( cheapest one,12€) and now my gamming experience is so smooth and much better.

I think the problem is partly due to the fact that I'm playing on an ultrabook, with the integrated touchpad.

(apart from the fact that it seems unexpectedly demanding on CPU/GPU resources and drains my battery in about one hour!)

Buy some mouse. I'm playing on a gaming notebook from MSI and mouse, wired in my case, is must have for every game.

I read somewhere a post from devs, that this game engine is demanding on CPU resources.

Archived