Bad Weather Clothes

ultron2099

I'm from North Dakota. Lived there for many years, then moved to South Dakota and lived there for a 10 more. Now I live in Milwaukee. I've walked through blizzards and snow storms and delivered pizza when it was -35F wind chill with a light jacket on. I'm here to tell you, your clothes are tissue papers in this game. In 5 hours of gathering wood during a storm, my boots, my jeans and my torque all failed on me and much of my clothes decreased by 50%!!!

Seriously, who makes these things, sadistic scare crows?? Your clothes will suffer more damage in every day use and accidents then they will a full onslaught blizzard, let alone the weather in this game.

so I'm reporting this as a bug, because its a massive huge colossal gigantic muck up. A $20 pair of tennis shoes will last you months, in this game one blizzard and half your clothes are rendered toilet paper.

While I agree that the clothing should be made a little tougher than what it is now, there's the problem of balancing the game. If you have clothes that will more often than not outlast the players themselves, then there's not a whole lot of point in thinking ahead when it comes to watching weather and planning hunting trips, resource scavenging, etc.

As I said in my previous response, I do agree that they should definitely be a bit tougher. The way they worded their post though, in mentioning the longevity of real clothes, made my mind jump to the conclusion that they were meaning making clothes tougher to the point of unbalance...my apologies if that was not Ultron's intent.

Maybe it was just my last two playthroughs being particularly cruel to me, but it seems some of the higher end clothes are already rather difficult to find, which is pretty awesome as far as challenge goes..the cargo pants, wool long underwear and premium coat are almost something of a myth or legend ;)

As I said in my previous response, I do agree that they should definitely be a bit tougher. The way they worded their post though, in mentioning the longevity of real clothes, made my mind jump to the conclusion that they were meaning making clothes tougher to the point of unbalance...my apologies if that was not Ultron's intent.

Maybe it was just my last two playthroughs being particularly cruel to me, but it seems some of the higher end clothes are already rather difficult to find, which is pretty awesome as far as challenge goes..the cargo pants, wool long underwear and premium coat are almost something of a myth or legend ;)

Rifle's also hard to find. nearly swept all of mystery lake and was heading to the ravine before i died. I couldn't even find the rifle, although i found 18 rounds of ammunition and enough twigs(?) (what paper gets converted into) like 32 of them, enough to actually way me down. Right now I think we are loosing nearly 10% of our clothes per hour to storms. That should get kicked down to 1%. Remember, this IS long haul, and if you stretch this beyond just one month, cloth is a non renewable resource in this game.

Well, remember that, if I'm understanding the story proper, this area's already been picked through by scavengers before. Else we'd find full drawers of clothing, plenty of food stock in every home, and a rifle over every mantelpiece.

I don't seem to be getting the detrimental clothing effects every one else has....possibly because I play it smart and stay inside during a blizzard? I mean....that's what you would do in real life, right? Gather as much supplies as you can during the calm and wait out the storms?

In any event, I do not think this is a bug.....more a playtest feedback issue.

I wondered why I was suddenly losing clothes while huddling next to a fire sheltered by a large boulder in the middle of a blizzard. I thought perhaps the fire was burning my clothes off, then when backing away from the campfire didn't help, realized it must have been the pelting snowflake that rendered me naked.

I'm trying to justify it as an Ice Crystal Sandblasting effect.

Still, I feel the rate of degradation is too swift Though, since it's here, it makes you rethink your actions.

For now, I nap for one hour at a time until it passes. My current game has been a famine on clothing and ammo.

I hope they tone it down a bit. At least, the premium coat and cargo pants should hold up and resist these effects.

Going off of your last sentence there Dragon, I feel like maybe it would be good to have the more common, lower tier clothing to maybe keep the current degradation rate (if not knocked down one or two percent slower), since that stuff is a lot more common, but have the highest tier clothing be the toughest and last the longest...a nice little reward for persistent cabinet searching perhaps.

As for the rifles you mentioned, yeah those can be tricky, as well as the amount of loot found..I have something close to 30 bullets (26? 27? Dunno) and I actually managed to find three different rifles; two in mystery lake (trapper's homestead and the forestry lookout) and the other one in coastal highway (abandoned lookout). Too bad they were deadweight for the first 50 day stretch since I was going for the achievements :D

10% per hour seems a little harsh to me. Shouldn't be that high. That said, I never experienced such a high degradation myself while out in a blizzard, but I tend to not stay outside long if the weather is bad. But sometimes it's just unavoidable and I would hate to see my 100% jacket deteriorate in 10 hours...

I think Dragon has a good idea here with the premium clothes. Those should be more resistant to the weather and the degradation due to weather should be slower for those compared to the standard clothes.

Just a thought, but shouldn't we also start off with more basic clothing. Like shoes, no long underwear, cotton socks basic snow jacket. After all, our character wasn't expecting to have to rough it, they thought they were going to be in a cozy home with electricity and heating. Also, we should be able to layer clothes. For instance, if its really cold, I wear a pair of polyester sweats inside my pants to keep me warmer.

I think a percentage system doesn´t work for clothes at all.Clothes degrade from invidual instances like small tears not from time spent.

At least the degradation is in direct relevance to the stats.The more its degraded the less of that stat you have.Took me a while to even realize that.I thought the stats were randomized each time you played the game.

Rifle's also hard to find. nearly swept all of mystery lake and was heading to the ravine before i died. I couldn't even find the rifle, although i found 18 rounds of ammunition and enough twigs(?) (what paper gets converted into) like 32 of them, enough to actually way me down. Right now I think we are loosing nearly 10% of our clothes per hour to storms. That should get kicked down to 1%. Remember, this IS long haul, and if you stretch this beyond just one month, cloth is a non renewable resource in this game.

I find it to be the opposite, rifles a plenty but no ammo!

Well, remember that, if I'm understanding the story proper, this area's already been picked through by scavengers before. Else we'd find full drawers of clothing, plenty of food stock in every home, and a rifle over every mantelpiece.

I don't seem to be getting the detrimental clothing effects every one else has....possibly because I play it smart and stay inside during a blizzard? I mean....that's what you would do in real life, right? Gather as much supplies as you can during the calm and wait out the storms?

In any event, I do not think this is a bug.....more a playtest feedback issue.

Agreed. If ive planed to do a hunting trip or loot run and its bad weather, i stay in. Not because of experiencing loss of clothing condition but just because that what i would do in real life.

Archived