#426 throw flare and right mouse button remapping conflict

gitano

PC Windows 7

alpha build 170

I've remapped the right mouse button to "move right", which works great, until I have a flare equipped. Then, if I do, and I use the right mouse button to move right, which still works, the equipped flare get's thrown. Makes sense to disable the "throw flare" functionality when that button is remapped. I do a lot of picking up thrown flares, which must look darned odd to the local wildlife. ;)

Works very well for me. I use "A" to more forward, "z" backward... mouse movements turn body left right, look up, look down. Right mouse button moves the body laterally to the right, left mouse button moves body laterally to the left. It's just easier for me than the traditional w-a-s-d key combo.

In any event, I guess we can pick apart people's button mappings or we can address what seems to be a bug.

Cheers.

So to verify, and clarify for myself a bit........remapping the throw to other than RMB does not prevent RMB from still throwing. I mapped throw to J and then used RMB to still throw a flare.

We're not picking apart your mappings Gitano, we're honestly curious as to why you have it setup that way. Maybe you're onto something we've never thought of.

So to verify, and clarify for myself a bit........remapping the throw to other than RMB does not prevent RMB from still throwing. I mapped throw to J and then used RMB to still throw a flare.

We're not picking apart your mappings Gitano, we're honestly curious as to why you have it setup that way. Maybe you're onto something we've never thought of.

That's cool. I just view this thread as strictly a bug thing and not a general discussion on what are good/meaningful key mappings. I'm more than happy to chat about why I do it this way but I figure that's best for a different thread. I want to make sure the dev team doesn't see a watered down bug post with comments like, "that doesn't make sense to do it that way...". I want to keep this strictly, yeah it's a bug or no, it's not.

That said, I'll now break my own rule:

Back in the days of the first version of Call of Duty, it worked really well to map lateral movements to the right hand (mouse) and forward/back movements to the left hand (keyboard). I've stuck with that ever since. With games that have a "lean" movement, I will map that to the left and right mouse buttons (for example, leaning around a corner of a building) and then use the standard w-a-s-d key mappings for the left hand. This is just one of those very subjective areas as we all know. For me, using the a mouse button to throw an object is just as foreign as using them to move right or left for you. So, bottom line is... thank god for custom key mappings. Let's get this bug fixed! ;)

Not only that, but even if you remap the right mouse button to something else, it will do that new assigned action plus continue to throw the flare.

First off, sorry if I stepped on anyones toes. Certainly not my intention, was honestly just curious.

Second, yes it's a bug and it should be fixed. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to use the RMB for something else. It should work as intended.

And finally, you're right. This is probably not the best place for this discussion. Sorry about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived