Hot drinks - alcohol

The Finnish Count

Coffee, cocoa and tea

1) Find coffee, cocoa or tea and boil some potable water

2) make coffee or tea on stove

3) drink

4) get warm instantly

5) Coffee reduces fatigue a lot, tea a little and cocoa increases it.

Alcohol

1) Find alcohol

2) drink alcohol

3) warms you, but distorts screen and slows you down depending on how much you drink

Opinions?

Coffee, cocoa and tea

1) Find coffee, cocoa or tea and boil some potable water

2) make coffee or tea on stove

3) drink

4) get warm instantly

5) Coffee reduces fatigue a lot, tea a little and cocoa increases it.

Alcohol

1) Find alcohol

2) drink alcohol

3) warms you, but distorts screen and slows you down depending on how much you drink

Opinions?

Alcohol has been one of my thougts as well. Of all the households available in the game, no one has a bottle of wine or a beer? Its not a critical thing to have but adds some realism to that it once was a society in Costal highway (or depending on type of society, moonshine).

Coffee, cocoa and tea: good idea.

Alcohol:

1) Find alcohol

2) Drink alcohol

3) Cools you down and when you drink to much distorts screen and slows you down. And raises chance of sprained ankles.

Alcohol only makes you feel warmer, but it actually makes you loose heat faster. Alcohol widens you blood veins, increasing the blood flow making you feel warmer but also bringing more of your body heat to the surface where you will loose it to the cold air.

I'm not saying Alcohol should not be in the game, but it shouldn't warm you up. If a morale meter is ever implemented alcohol could give a moral boost.

Cocoa increasing fatigue? Guess I missed that one before. That doesn't make sense to me either.

Coffee doesn't really do anything for me personally. It doesn't help me stay awake at all. Nor does red bull for that matter. But many people claim it helps them. I'd be fine with hot drinks that just warm you up for a short while. And if morale is ever implemented, they should give a significant boost to morale. When I've been snowboarding in really cold weather all day, there's nothing I like better than sitting next to the lit fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa.

High-ABV liquors (this has been suggested elsewhere) could be used as emergency antiseptics and/or accelerants to start fires.

Among other things, drinking alcohol should lower your hydration level (alcohol is diuretic, which roughly means that if you drink one you... uh, lose two).

[Also, OT, I've been thinking about sodium hypochlorite. In Italy is widely marketed in a solution that is suitable for wounds disinfection and items, food and water sanitization. It is a commonly found household item, along with bleach, which I believe has a stronger concentration. I don't know how common it would be in the wild parts of Canada, of course.]

Drinking Alchohal might reduce effects like chattering or being slowed down from the cold, while accelerating your temperature loss. It could also serve as a painkiller.

mmm pain relief.... drinking alcohol to fix your ankles while your climbing ankle shattering mountains... sounds like a winner

Drinking small amount of alcohol is actually known to improve reflexes and boost your thought processing. And your body does actually get slightly warmer (but soon will start losing temperature faster) and no, you don't get blurry vision or anything. It's only if you drink more, when you get negative effects, such as bad sense of humor or inability to tell if you're too drunk to have another drink.

Drinking more can be used as a last-resort painkiller and alcohol itself could be also used for disinfection - out of antiseptic? No problem, just pour some vodka on the wound and while you're at it, pour yourself some too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that struck me as well. I can believe the world might end and wolves suddenly turn predatory on humans, but I CANNOT buy into the idea of that many Canadian flags and ice fishing huts without any beer or hard stuff stowed away. Heck there was a move to use drones to deliver beer to ice fishing shacks a few months back, so great is the demand. Granted, it would no doubt be frozen by the time the player came upon it. But that just increases the alcohol content!

Depends on the alcohol content. If you are talking about the fizzy piss they sell in America under the label "Beer", that would freeze pretty soon after water would. Whiskey or Vodka, on the other hand, likely wouldn't freeze until about -50 or -60. Pure alcohol (ethanol) doesnt freeze until it reaches about -112 or -113

• 2 weeks later...

Archived