Dragging Bodies

azuratte

I'm awesome at missing posts, and this was probably suggested; here we go all the same.

Could we have the ability to drag/collect bodies as the subject line states?

Now, I've actually dragged a deer in the snow, I think I ate a granola bar per 6 feet but it got done. So I've kinda thought this through.

Dragging heavy animals like human, deer or wolf would most likely be not worth it unless it's to a rather near by sheltered area that wouldn't fatigue you as fast.

As for collecting, this refers to the rabbits. Being able to gather 4-6 of them and carry them back (with increased calorie burn) would be nice to see.

I'm not playing this game much lately, but this has been bugging me ever since I started playing.

I suck at this game and actually haven't caught a rabbit yet because... STUPID WOLVES, well seriously the wolves are much better I just keep leavin the suck-meter at maximum when I play lately. If the rabbits can be collected already sorry for the stupid.

Az

I don't know how HLS decide on features but I add A) the benefit for the game and subtract B) how hard it is to program.

Everything with a large A is eventually going to be considered especially if the difference is large. But if A is small and B large it is not something that I think will make it in the game.

Instead of dragging bodies, implement a pick up mechanic that allows you to sling a body over your shoulder, which would inhibit your use of flares, firearms or the lantern, but it would mean that all you had to do was have a cutscene animation of picking up the corpse and then the corpse itself would sit in your foreground (like the rifle does) over your shoulder, then you would have a cutscene of placing it down, and it would simply appear on the ground as it was before, but in the location you choose.

One way to balance this is that your calorie burn is doubled or tripled depending on the weight value for the animal.

ya I'd like to see a "pick up" or "carry" option when harvesting animals... in reality you'd just put a snared rabbit in a bag and clean and dress your kill at a camp or cabin... no real need to field dress your kill in a blizzard if it's light enough to carry

• 5 weeks later...

I'd say deer and wolves are probably too heavy to drag around without some kind of field dressing, but I rabbits should go into inventory whole. Right now it's almost pointless to use snares, because harvesting the rabbits exposes you to the cold for too long relative to the benefit. It makes sense to build a fire next to a deer or wolf so you can harvest it without freezing. But rabbits aren't worth the match, particularly since you usually have to travel to your trap line.

I'm wondering why you cannot harvest gut from a rabbit. also, the model remains unchanged after you have harvested the pelt and meat off of it.

My only explanation for this is gameplay, since if gut could be harvested from a rabbit, you wouldn't ever need to do anything besides trapping for food, as the only thing needed to fix a ruined trap is gut. Also, if you got it from every rabbit, you'd be lousy with gut in no time.

I'm wondering why you cannot harvest gut from a rabbit. also, the model remains unchanged after you have harvested the pelt and meat off of it.

My only explanation for this is gameplay, since if gut could be harvested from a rabbit, you wouldn't ever need to do anything besides trapping for food, as the only thing needed to fix a ruined trap is gut. Also, if you got it from every rabbit, you'd be lousy with gut in no time.

I suppose so, although I'm finding that I now am at a place where I don't need to shoot anything. I set traps and get rabbits 3-5 a day. I wait for a wolf to leave a kill and get more gut. I fish to supplement and I'm good. If I really need to I wait for a wolf to take a deer then push a rabbit to the wolf, the wolf goes for the rabbit and never goes back to the deer. I get an influx of 5-8k of venison as well as the gut.

I'm currently at 135 days and I have enough meat for 2 weeks sitting around, I'll be stuffed keeping it from going bad, (although I'll have to start eating some of my canned food before it spoils which is another huge gripe for another time). I have 15 rounds for the rifle still.

I don't know how HLS decide on features but I add A) the benefit for the game and subtract B) how hard it is to program.

Everything with a large A is eventually going to be considered especially if the difference is large. But if A is small and B large it is not something that I think will make it in the game.

This. Plus, let's not overlook the most overlooked constraint in all wish-posts: weight. Everyone is running around in snow with 30kg, how would you assume they would move with dragging, or even carrying a frozen corpse?

Even if implemented and implemented realistically, with current values in mind, you would lose your all tour fatigue and calories in seconds.

This. Plus, let's not overlook the most overlooked constraint in all wish-posts: weight. Everyone is running around in snow with 30kg, how would you assume they would move with dragging, or even carrying a frozen corpse?

Even if implemented and implemented realistically, with current values in mind, you would lose your all tour fatigue and calories in seconds.

It took a while to get to this point, but food isn't my real enemy. Gear wear is my enemy now.

It took a while to get to this point, but food isn't my real enemy. Gear wear is my enemy now.

And that's why It would be interesting to see a better hunger mechanics, similar to the one DayZ has - your stomach has limited capacity and when you eat over that capacity you throw up, losing a lot of it's contents. Then eating 3kg of venison steaks on the spot following it with 0.5l of water would just not be a viable strategy to do mad stuff like that.

I think it would be very useful and realistic if we could move corpses and carcasses, of animals and humans too, in order to take the fresh hunt home or to set a bait.

Personally I'd love to remove the corpse sharing the Camp office with me. ICK.

Amen to that. I mostly only care about being able to pick up rabbits to harvest later at home, but it would be really nice to get rid of the frozen corpse somehow. Whether or not the corpse spawns upstairs in the Camp Office in any game of mine is a huge factor in whether or not I make it my home base - but I guess that does add some atmosphere to the experience :D

Would be realistic to be able to drag or carry carcasses to a safer place to skin etc. In a real survival situation I wouldn't spend hours skinning a wolf in a blizzard with the threat of more attacks when there was a safe warm building 40 meters away. When I have been forced to skin out in the open during gameplay I sometimes get attacked by a wolf despite having a fire fire blazing beside me. The fire seems to stop the wolf for a few moments then it will attack. This is ok if you have your rifle out ready but if you are mid skinning activity you just get attacked which is unfair possibly.

I know this sort of change can upset game difficulty but I think it could work. When you were draggin a wolf for example you would travel very slowly because of the encumberence, have a limited field of vision because you would have to drag backwards and have no free hands for flares etc. If you were carrying a rabbit then this would be much easier of course. It is really the obvious thing to implement, I mean when you were butchering a rabbit you would take it to a work top and use your knife, get the parts you need dispose of the rest outside then cook him up and chow down...yumma.

Archived