Survived 100 days (again) v1.70 feedback on hunting

Christoph

So afterI completed my first 100 day run two months ago I now tried again. Obviously I really like this game. I also do appreciate that the devs really seem to listen to their community. In the new update they picked up quite a couple of the suggestions made by us here in the forum. So I figured it'll be worth it to give some feedback again.

96x96-BillTarling.thumb.jpg.d62832a712c4Deer Hunting

At least once you have figured out that you can scare any deer into a wolf, deer hunting is too easy. You simply can approach the wolf until you are so close that you can easily give it a headshot or scare it off with a flare. It is also fairly easy to scare a second deer into an eating wolf. He will attack the second deer (at least sometimes) not finish eating the first one. Come back a little later and you'll have killed a deer without using a bullet or a flare or even your hands at all.

bill017.thumb.jpg.6110c714b669805fd28273rabbit farming

That leaves rabbit hunting, which is a nice addition, though it has one major problem: you can set up as many rabbit traps as you want at the same spot and 30-80% of them will catch a rabbit anyway. This feels really unrealistic.

56ce0e5383ad8_stupidwolf.thumb.jpg.f6e14

56ce0e54832bc_rabbitmassacre.thumb.jpg.9

1.I kinda like the game so I played again though it was kind of repetitive.

2.You just run into a deer and it runs away straight ahead. So you figure out where wolves are, you figure out where the deer are (for example around coastal houses region there are always two deer and two wolves), you get the deer between you and the wolves and you run at it. thats it. really easy to do.

Your double deer technique is quite interesting but hard to apply, I don't usually get two deers close to each other like this especially close to the eating wolf haha.

But yeah I agree with you with the end game aspect, eat drink bed. Is the only thing we do

Ok why did you continue on to 100 days again if could see early on you were going to do the same activities ?

Also how on earth did you have deer consistently run into wolves ? Or even have them spawn in that good of a spot to even lead them there ?

Just find a deer and approach it from the opposite side of the direction you want it to run. By the trappers cabin, there is the train wreck, and almost always two wolves around there. It's very easy to find a deer, chase it that way and watch a wolf kill it. As OP said, just walk up to the wolf then and drop it where it stands.

If you hunt on a non-windy day, mid afternoon when it's warmest and you have time, you can also just track a deer and keep pushing it. It doesn't take long, maybe 30 minutes. There are other locations with routine wolf populations. The red rail car wreck, the lakes, deadfall areas, etc. It doesn't take long to get the deer into those areas and have a wolf attack it.

edit: [more spoilers] if you're really enterprising and have no rifle, you can also build a fire right by the wolf (a flare is better but shorter supply) and potentially scare the wolf off. You can even loot meat (not sure of the gut/hide) without a hunting knife since the deer isn't frozen yet. Since clothing, matches, food deteriorates once it's looted, it's best to start using these methods sooner than later, using up your resources from half a map maybe before moving on to get more resources.

Ok, I know how to lead them.That isn´t my problem.The problem is consistency and the work required to do all that shit.I know they spawn in the trappers cabin.I had a bug that gave me 8 freakin deer in there one time.It was just a herd of deer.No wolves nearby though.Nothing.And its not worth it to waste my clothes to hike for 30 min(which almost always turns to wind or a storm pretty fast)to find deer or wolves.There´s always some bs wolf coming from a spawn after I´ve slept in a nearby shed and kills me.

Also the deer in my games never run in a straight line, they just run off.Its not worth it.I really don´t know what perfect game you are playing that gives you that much luck.They don´t spawn as you say you do.

Nice write up. Its so good to see how different people interpret the game, and how they go about surviving. Im happy also to see that you like the harder wolf, when in the Steam forum, everyone in there, bar a few members, think the Wolf is just down right wrong, and too hard to fight and continually die from it. Im guessing they go straight to the Coastal Region Townsite to loot everything, and stay there.

I have used the Deer Herding since the very early Alpha, and its always a good one, when you want to save ammo, and you have the time to do it.

PS : Love the rabbit massacre :) That image is a keeper lol

edit: [more spoilers] if you're really enterprising and have no rifle, you can also build a fire right by the wolf (a flare is better but shorter supply) and potentially scare the wolf off. You can even loot meat (not sure of the gut/hide) without a hunting knife since the deer isn't frozen yet. Since clothing, matches, food deteriorates once it's looted, it's best to start using these methods sooner than later, using up your resources from half a map maybe before moving on to get more resources.

Even better [spoil]If you light a fire near a a deer carcass that is frozen, you can after a while then harvest the meat from it, because the fire will thaw it out from the frozen state. Again you can do this when you haven't a knife/hatchet to use.[/spoil]

Also the deer in my games never run in a straight line, they just run off.Its not worth it.I really don´t know what perfect game you are playing that gives you that much luck.They don´t spawn as you say you do.

Its not luck at all. The OP posted above you can do this over time. In reality, if you wait and watch the roaming area of the deer, and then know where a wolf is, you can herd one into the other. There are places that are better than others, but if you come at the deer from the right side, then it can be done. Don't expect it on your first attempt, but give it time and you will learn how its done.

Another technique to practice is bringing the wolves to a different area where there are more deer. It can a while (and some patience along with practice), but basically you want to lure the wolves to follow you.

Once you've had them follow you to the new location, you then learn how to switch back to herding deer toward the wolf - done well, you can bring a wolf to the area without scaring the deer as well (you want to end up with the deer between you and the wolf or wolves.

Deer are also very handy for running behind if you chase them towards a wolf -- the deer will clear the path for you and draw the wolf away so you can rush by.

Like the OP said, there are locations where you can consistently find deer near wolves. If you take the house near the pier of the coastal town, when you exit it there are often 2 deer on the ice just beyond the pier. There are also usually 2 wolves near the fishing huts more towards the middle of the lake/ towards the log sort. Circle around the deer and chase them towards the wolves. It takes some practice but is certainly doable.

I've also manged a few times to chase the 1st deer to a wolf and then chase the 2nd deer close enough to get the wolf to attack it. It's not easy, but possible. Most of the time though, the deer will notice the wolf in time and run into another direction if you're not close enough to the deer.

It's nice to see this has turned into a discussion about how to hunt deer with wolves. However, my whole point was that I think this shouldn't be possible :)

Or at least it should be a lot more difficult to do, since in its current form these options destroy most of the games hunting dynamic. What do you guys think? Do you actually like to hutn this way?

Do I like hunting this way? No. But since I haven't found more than 16 bullets in my recent runs (and as little as 6 bullets in at least 2 runs) I find I sometimes don't have much of a choice. I use the wolves to kill the deer and come back later for their guts. If there's any meat left that's a bonus.

I actually don't think a wolf that's feeding will attack something unless it comes really close. It will of course threaten to let you know it's ready to defend it's kill, but why would it attack you (or another deer for that matter) if it has a fresh kill it could be eating instead. In nature documentaries I've seen wolves chase off other predators that come too close, but they never do more than just that, chase them off. I do agree that the wolf should be a little more responsive to the player getting close, maybe stopping to feed and walking towards the player growling. If the player doesn't leave it should attack.

I would argue that this is a pretty realistic way to hunt. Running herds of animals off a cliff face /into an enclosed valley/pen or even at another hunter in order to kill them is a common hunting practice.

Now, It might be "too easy" based on how often wolves and deer are in proximity in the game? I haven't found this to be the case so far. (But I've not been playing long). Perhaps some minor adjustments to how often deer respawn in a specific area after being killed could make this better?

Yes it should be more dynamic. I would also like if the animal population would be persistent and deer would get harder to find if you've killed too many, or that the wolves also get more aggresive if there are less deer. Problem is for this kind of behavior the maps are too small, it would be hard to balance the game so the maps never get completely wiped clear of huntable animals.

Archived