Disappearing deer carcass (v.170)

elloco999

Oops, it happened again.

I was going to do some ice fishing in the fishing hut nearest the Camp Office when I spotted a deer and a wolf not far off. I chased the deer to the wolf, saw the wolf take it down and noted the location. I went to the fishing hut and fished for 3 hours. After that the weather had turned and a blizzard was coming in so I made for the CO. The next morning (about 14 hours after the wolf killed the deer) the carcass was nowhere to be found.

Guest Alan Lawrance

We consider the hide and gut "destroyed" after a wolf has been feeding to the point where available meat is below 0.5 kg. This is done to also keep the corpse population in check (if it got too large, it could start to impact rendering).

Note this only applies when a wolf is feeding on a carcass. We assume the player is more skillful about preserving hide/gut.

Ah, okay. My strategy has been to get a wolf to kill a deer, let it feed until it's had enough and then take the guts to craft snares (and fishing tackle now as well). The hide I only took if I needed leather and of course if I was lucky enough to score some meat I would take that as well but that hardly ever happens. Guess I won't be able to do that anymore.

Thanks for the explanation!

Archived