Trivializing Wolf Attacks With Programmable Mouse

Oedipial

Hello!

First off, I LOVE this game and have played it for many hours. I also loved that you guys recently un-nerfed the wolves! :D

With that said...I am able to trivialize the threat of wolves via a programmable mouse due to what I think is an awful mechanic in any game: button mashing. Since I dislike this mechanic so much, I decided to set my mouse to repeat a button press so I wouldn't have to do it myself. You can see what I do exactly in this video: http://www.twitch.tv/oedipial/c/5613922

By using this, I never lose a fight with a wolf, and sometimes even engage them outright. One thing to note that even doing this I lost about 16% of my health...now imagine someone else who is furiously mashing LMB ("oh he DED").

Is this considered cheating? No, I don't think so especially since this is a single player game. I would only be cheating myself out of proper gameplay mechanics. However, I shouldn't be able to do this either as there IS a leaderboard for this game. People who don't have a lot of time to commit to the game are already at a disadvantage when it comes to leaderboard placing...to have a further disadvantage with PC equipment or software like autohotkey is discouraging.

So what are other solutions?

I am not the most imaginative person...but I do believe that there are plenty of fight mechanics that can be implemented that are a lot more engaging & satisfying than what is currently there. For example, I played The Wolf Among Us for the 1st time after that TLD session and found the fight mechanics in that game very satisfying and fun despite it being simple. There were varied mechanics: button mashing, dodging using 1 keystroke press, and then a mouse mechanic where you could choose to hit your opponent out of several choices.

I think the mouse mechanic would actually be really cool in TLD as it would give the player a choice on where to hit the wolf. Do I want to punch it in the nose, how about the jugular, stab it in the eye?

Anyway, these are my opinions & thoughts on the current wolf attack mechanic...thanks for reading!

-Oedipial

I agree with you buddy,

Button mashing is not the solution, it should be something timed, like pressing a certain key at the correct moment. I also dont suffer from too much imagination, but I amsure someone cam make this more engaging.

Enothe side effect of the intense button mash is that first time players die trying to read the instructions. I kno wit took me few deaths to realize what I had to do.

A little extra, not sure why 3/4 woolfs dont get scared of the flare, isnt it suppose to scare them away or atleast prevent them from attacking you?

Thanks

Alex

A little extra, not sure why 3/4 woolfs dont get scared of the flare, isnt it suppose to scare them away or atleast prevent them from attacking you?

Flares have a 'chance' of deterring or scaring the wolves, but not once they're within the fight or flight radius, or is they're already in charge/attack mode.

Wish I could do that. My choices are very much like the Matrix. If I see an agent ... I mean wolf ... the run. Run my ass off. Run like the wind!!!

Or avoid them. Only that stops working when you turn a corner and HELLO!!

Followed of course by extermination. These wolves kill me faster then Daleks kill people in Dr. Who

This new system, inside 3 seconds i've either won or I'm dead. Usually I die.

I managed to scare a wolf off only one time! The problem for me with the current fight mechanics is, that i don't have the impression, that you can "learn" fighting a wolf somehow and improve in doing it. It shouldn't be easy to fight a wolf ... but currently it seems to me, that you can only defeat one out of luck. and that's really annoying especially if you try to avoid wolves as i do, but sometimes you can't avoid one ... suddenly it is there and you just have to fight ...

as i am new to this game, i don't know if i am in the position to give any advice to the devs ... however, i too don't think the button mashing is a good solution, something you can practice over time. i still think that wolves should be challenging and that you should have to think twice before attacking one: i fully understand if fighting a wolf costs you a lot of energy, probably injures you and causes abrasion of your clothes. maybe this should be considered when changing the fighting mechanics ...

Archived