Generators

Cristari

I don't see why there can't be Generators within the game.

An EMP blasts will not kill off everything about a electrical devices only certain components these components can be replaced with spares and allow them to work again (gathering exercise) also the use of a mechanical workshop in the Coastal map might help with this, a Pilot I'm sure he would have a little Mechanical/Electrical knowledge enough to be able to perform this or at least build skill on.There seems to be enough fuel containers on each building that could be syphoned off to maintain your supply this could be tied to a method of food preservation like a Fridge Freezer (repaired of course) or food growth such as a Green house for hardy winter veg.

firstly, this has been hashed out over the forums for ages, read back a few months and see the many discussions concerning generators.

Secondly, the Devs have not elucidated on the geomagnetic disaster. It may be an EMP, it may be a constant state of flux bombardment, we don't know. If it was the former, your point is valid, if it is the latter, then the moment you fix an electrical device, it'll burn out again.

Thirdly, Does the game actually need it? The game's narrative centers around the powerless nature of humankind now that they've been stripped of their technological might. I suggested diesel engines about a month back, because they work entirely on a compression/ignition burn sequence, which is wholly mechanical, you would just need to push start a vehicle to get its diesel engine going, but then I saw that technology was not the purpose of the game. Its story is intrinsic to the fact that any advanced technology will not work, and bringing in generators would simply put a enormous hole in the story. I'm sorry for shooting you down, but it's simply not needed, nor is it feasible to implement.

There is absolutely no reason why there can't be generators in The Long Dark. There are however plenty of reasons why they wouldn't work and the player would not be able to fix them:

1. The devs want to make a game where there is no electrical power. No matter what reasons we all can come up with why there could be power in the game, if the devs don't want there to be power, there will be no power.

2. Like EtnernityTyde already pointed out, it may be an ongoing event that is preventing electronics from working. Everyone assumes it was some sort of EMP and now it's gone. But I've always believed that it is still going on, as the Aurora that's still acting up in the game seems to indicate.

3. Even if it was an EMP and you could repair everything if you had the spare parts, you would not be able to find working spare parts. Those would also have been fried by the EMP. Unless they were in a faraday cage, but I have yet to find one of those in the game.

TLD is a game set in a world where there is no power. Just accept that and enjoy the game.

OK Sorry if I've opened a wound. New to this game and the forums so had no idea that this had been discussed before I am not about to skim through a years worth of posts to look for stuff. I did a search however I must have spelt something wrong as i didn't get any results.

Fair enough I just hate having everything I gather decay in a frozen environment and wanted a way of preserving it or at least growing food for myself.

Sorry if I sounded a bit cranky, but it gets a bit annoying when the same things get suggested again and again. And that happens a lot lately with so many new players picking up on this great game.

Despite the freezers not working, they are the best container for storing meat/ fish. Raw meat/ fish degrades very fast so you want to cook your food before it drops too far. Cooking food raises it's condition so you don't have to cook it immediately, but don't wait too long. Cooked meat/ fish can last a decent time in the right container. Freezers are the best indoors containers, but on the Mystery Lake map there are no freezers. Here you'll have to store the meat/ fish outside. Use either lying corpses (not the ones sitting up) or lying backpacks (not standing backpacks). Those have the best degradation rates in the game. I haven't tested if freezers are equal to outside containers, but if they're not they're only slightly worse so I just use the freezer in my base.

Other foods (canned etc) are also best stored in containers but it doesn't really matter what sort of container.

Also, don't pick up any food you don't need yet. (goes for items like matches as well) As soon as you pick something up (or find it when searching a container) the degradation starts. If you see a can of peaches on a kitchen counter and don't click it, it's condition won't go down and it will still be there when you need it.

my apologies, You haven't opened a wound, it's just a bit like this:

You're telling a story, getting to punchline and then everyone laughs. Then someone enters the room and asks what you were all laughing about, so you re-tell the story, and he laughs. At that moment another man walks in and asks what you were all laughing at. A bit annoyed, you repeat the joke and he laughs. At that precise moment another man comes walking in and asks what you're all laughing at. At this point, everyone has had enough and shouts at the innocent, unknowing man who is completly taken aback.

It's not you, it's the fact that the debate about electricity has raged for months, and you happened to step into the crosshairs of the heavy artillery.

Actually I don't know if people have missed this but if you open the hood of a car, the battery by the engine is extremely graphic and stands out from the rest of the engine-parts. This makes me believe that you will be able to do something with the battery..

Just a heads up if anyone missed this in the latest update.

It never even occurred to me to look under the hood :)

But batteries don't have electronics in them (well, some do, but car batteries don't I think) so they would still function even after an EMP. Car batteries can be used for other things than powering electronic devices. Starting a fire by creating sparks comes to mind.

But I've always thought that whatever is going on that is preventing electronics form working is an ongoing thing that hasn't actually destroyed the electronics at all and it's strength may fluctuate so it may be possible to use electronic devices from time to time. So who knows what we will be able to do with those batteries!?

Good find by the way electrix!

It never even occurred to me to look under the hood :)

But batteries don't have electronics in them (well, some do, but car batteries don't I think) so they would still function even after an EMP. Car batteries can be used for other things than powering electronic devices. Starting a fire by creating sparks comes to mind.

But I've always thought that whatever is going on that is preventing electronics form working is an ongoing thing that hasn't actually destroyed the electronics at all and it's strength may fluctuate so it may be possible to use electronic devices from time to time. So who knows what we will be able to do with those batteries!?

Good find by the way electrix!

Thanks!

Well, the first thing I did when I noticed cars has been implemented was to check everything with the cars;

Hood

Trunk

Glove-compartment

Floor - both frontseat and backseat

Often the cars are empty or filled with waterbottles. :)

I'm seriously envious of you guys, because my computer is still out of commision, and has been for the past 4 weeks. I'm hearing about all these new additions and I'm so frustrated because I cannot play.

My condolences. I have actually thought about waiting a couple of version so that there are more changes (and the wow-factor increases) but as a backer I feel that I need to help as much as I can so the game will be as good as possible, helping the dev with bug-finding and such.

So yeah, you're missing out, but when you try the game the next time it will probably be many good additions that has improved gameplay even further. :)

Oh yeah, the motherboard has arrived and is installed, but I'm trying to reinstall windows and it's refusing to do a clean install. It's not liking my partition arrangement and it keeps jamming at the expanding files point. Once it reached the "installing features" and then promptly froze. After that it refused to format the drives. So I'm waiting for tech support (elder brother) to arrive and fix it.

Archived