General Feedback

ArrayKnight

• The game is beautiful. When the intro screen dropped and you're left with a shot of the sun coming through the trees in a snowy valley, I wasn't certain that the game had started.
  • The lookout tower is a trap! I've never been able to get back out alive. By the time I get up there it's night and a blizzard starts up and then I run out of fuel and freeze. Also, it doesn't seem to provide nearly as much environmental protection as the logging camp trailers.
  • Not really sure to file as a bug: I ran up to the first wolf you encounter and he paid no attention, so I walked along with him (within though, due to lack of collision detection) and then I turned around and he lunged at my back and killed me. That playthrough I lived for 15 minutes.
  • Being able to quit and load a game would be nice, but I understand that at this point with so much changing it's not feasible.
  • There are all sorts of little moments that make me giggle. Like the snow covered corpse inside of the logging camp trailer.
  • Falling (even short distances into snow) seems to cause more damage that I would expect.

#2 - I have made it to the tower and then to the logging camp in a single day, it does require some running though. The best chance is when there is little wind and no blizzard, also fewer wolves. The biggest factor is what you find randomly in the tower and how the weather turns out when you come out. I think the tower is meant to be more exposed to the elements and not as warm as the trailers as it is elevated, only has a wood burning stove.

#5 - My wife has been a narrator for several of my playthroughs so far, making jokes like the fleece sweaters are ugly Christmas sweaters with reindeer faces on them, making jokes about me getting food poisoning from a candy bar I found in the dam, snowy indoor corpses, and other things she has noticed, nothing buggy though.

#6 - I have also thought a few times that the damage I took from a seemingly short fall was greater than it should have been, I just role-play and say that Will's foot or knee struck a snow covered rock when he fell.

Guest Alan Lawrance

It's a good point that we should take into account surface-type when calculating fall damage. Currently it's only based on fall distance.

Love to read all this feedback, thank you!

Falling (even short distances into snow) seems to cause more damage that I would expect.

Fixed in v0.2

I came out of the Loggers Cabins, and walked toward the road and over the little mound which looks like it equates to about 2 feet and I sprained my ankle.

• Hinterland

Well, you can sprain your ankle walking off the sidewalk so...

The fix in v0.2 (current alpha) was to reduce the falling damage, not the likelihood of falling. It is based on the incline angle, so even with a very small incline there would be a very small chance of you spraining, and you got unlucky!

Just started playing. So far I'm terrible, but that's to be expected. Is it just me or does it seem like starvation occurs faster than would be expected in real life. I mean I've eaten some cooked venicen, 2 chocolate bars and some jerky in a 14 hour stretch and am starving. Even given the conditions it seems a bit much.

Looks GREAT! First lesson is don't get caught outside between dusk and twilight, I easily got disoriented and lost, used up all my tinder. Another thought, if I have a can of kerosene, wood and matches I surely would have better a better than 0% chance of starting a fire.

• Hinterland

Hy Terence -- to start a fire in the game you need:

1) Firestarter (matches, flint & steel, magnifying glass, etc.)

2) Tinder (tinder plugs, newspaper, etc.)

3) Fuel (Cedar, Fir, Reclaimed Wood)

4) OPTIONAL: Accelerant

In your combination, you have the Firestarter (matches) and the Fuel (wood), but not the tinder. Kerosene doesn't serve that function (it could, however, serve as an accelerant).

Re: Starvation speed -- yes, starvation in the game occurs faster than in real life. Because in real life you might not starve for weeks, making "real life" tuning irrelevant for the game.

When you have the storm lantern equipped and lit, it makes you a little bit warmer. But when you have that going and you search through something, the lantern goes off to your side and you get colder. Is the thinking that we put the lantern down and now it's far enough that it no longer heats us? Just seems a little odd to me that it's constantly switching between "warmer" and "colder" as I search through items.

Guest Alan Lawrance
When you have the storm lantern equipped and lit, it makes you a little bit warmer. But when you have that going and you search through something, the lantern goes off to your side and you get colder. Is the thinking that we put the lantern down and now it's far enough that it no longer heats us? Just seems a little odd to me that it's constantly switching between "warmer" and "colder" as I search through items.

Yeah, the lantern (and flare) have a small warmth radius, so it's going out of range when you search. Not intentional though, just a side-effect of the current tuning. Agree we need to increase the warmth radius a bit so this doesn't occur.

v0.4 definitely is a step up, a lot more clothing and materials. Seem to be getting poisoned more often which can be devastating, not a bad thing but it seems to happen quite randomly, last game got it with 51% condition Mountain Soda. Not sure what the poisoning mechanism is but seems weird to get it from a can of soda.

• Hinterland

Interesting observations. We haven't added any clothing or materials, nor changed the tuning on the food poisoning (everything has a threshold based on Condition, some things are much more likely to trigger Food Poisoning than others, soft-drinks are very low so you got unlucky -- could probably make it 0% to be fair).

No worries, just had a bad run i think, but i am curious how the food poisoning system works.

On a side note, just had real food poisoning from a sushi restaurant. 12 hours of rest and antibiotics seem reasonable. I had no antibiotics but it took 12 hours and a whole lot of water to recover.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived