Have you read The Road? (Cormac McCarthy)

david_baines

If you haven't read this book then you really should. It's what inspired DayZ and is the reason that I backed this game. (Don't worry, there's no zombies in it!) A film was made also, but you'd be missing out on McCarthys' unique style of writing. I would imagine that one or more of the creators of this game has read it. Infact I would go as far to say it would be a requirement!

Guest Alan Lawrance

I read The Road in one sitting the first time. I was completely enthralled by the story and McCarthy's writing style.

The movie is a good adaptation of the book, but I definitely recommend reading the book first if you have the choice.

I haven't read it since having two boys, but I plan to read it again, and I expect it will have an even greater impact on me now.

Dies the Fire is another, that though it has it's flaws, is still a pretty good book, and deals with what people would do if all technology stopped working all at once.

(The witchcraft angle the author took for the whole series, and the fact that he made everything overly simplistic for the female leads group. But, I suppose they were being led by "outside" forces or whatever. I haven't read that entire series, and this again is just my opinion.)

If you like The Road, I bet you will enjoy Lost Everything by Brian Francis Slattery. It is very much in the same spirit, except it has proper grammar, a larger character cast, and more of a plot.

http://us.macmillan.com/losteverything/BrianFrancisSlattery

From the author of the critically acclaimed literary SF novels Spaceman Blues and Liberation comes an incandescent and thrilling post-apocalyptic tale in the vein of 1984 or The Road.

In the not-distant-enough future, a man takes a boat trip up the Susquehanna River with his most trusted friend, intent on reuniting with his son. But the man is pursued by an army, and his own harrowing past; and the familiar American landscape has been savaged by war and climate change until it is nearly unrecognizable.

Lost Everything is a stunning novel about family and faith, what we are afraid may come to be, and how to wring hope from hopelessness.

Lost Everything is the winner of the 2013 Philip K. Dick Award.

• Hinterland

The road has to be one of my favourite books, it's pretty raw though, definitely not light reading.

Post apocalyptic with a difference, has anyone read The Passage by Justin Cronin, another excellent read!

Yes, the Passage is also very good, a bit more genre-fodder than The Road. Didn't enjoy The Twelve as much.

A year on and I'm still only 4 chapters into the twelve, struggling to keep up the enthusiasm. Never one to give up though...

A much smaller book that I recently read is called extinction point by Paul Antony jones, not the best writing but an interesting take on the 'world is over' genre.

Archived